Author Topic: Daniel's reaction to the Plane crash  (Read 3198 times)

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel's reaction to the Plane crash
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:46 PM »
It raises the question as to whether a "trip to the future" can actually extend farther than one's own life span.  So Daniel never "lives" beyond the year 2007 (or is it 2008... either way, you get the point).  Could he visit 2010?  I know... there's no answer to this one, but I thought I would throw out another quandry.

I think you could travel to a future beyond your death in the same way you can travel to the past before your birth.  You are still experiencing your "present" relative to your lifespan even if the points relative to another's linear timeline are before or after your personal timeline.  Once you accept the concept of time travel, the whole idea of "years" becomes irrelevant.  Each moment is simply a plot point on each individual's timeline that does not necessarily correlate in the same linear fashion to anyone else's timeline.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
Right.... on the island, they skipped to the time of the statue. But I think Dan's "trip" was more like that of Desmond's or Minkowski's, where his consciousness had to go into his body of that time. If that's the case, he can only travel in his own lifetime.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 11:16:52 PM »
Well, that was the really interesting thing about Eloise's statement that for the first time in a long time she has no idea what is going to happen.  Because the variables are in play now.  And the variables first are Jack and Kate who have firsthand knowledge of what is happening, the rest of the variables are meeting them at the beach, and trying to find them from 2008.  The story is out of Eloise's time controlling hands.  It's in the Losties' hands now.

I understood Eloise's statement to mean that, for the past 30 years (since she first shot Daniel) she knew of her son's predestined death. And now that he has gone back to the Island to seal his fate, she no longer knows what the future holds.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 03:29:52 AM »
It raises the question as to whether a "trip to the future" can actually extend farther than one's own life span.  So Daniel never "lives" beyond the year 2007 (or is it 2008... either way, you get the point).  Could he visit 2010?  I know... there's no answer to this one, but I thought I would throw out another quandry.

I think you could travel to a future beyond your death in the same way you can travel to the past before your birth.  You are still experiencing your "present" relative to your lifespan even if the points relative to another's linear timeline are before or after your personal timeline.  Once you accept the concept of time travel, the whole idea of "years" becomes irrelevant.  Each moment is simply a plot point on each individual's timeline that does not necessarily correlate in the same linear fashion to anyone else's timeline.

The more I think about this, the more I agree with you... and I believe they even showed us this.  When the "flash around" gang was on the beach and found the boats (where the then-mysterious group of people chased them and started shooting as they were on the water), this would have been farther in the future than Daniel ever made it in linear terms.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 03:52:11 PM »
I think that could be what Christian and Locke are doing.
Their consciousnesses travel in their dead body and
they come to life again.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »
I think that could be what Christian and Locke are doing.
Their consciousnesses travel in their dead body and
they come to life again.
Wow!  That's a scary thought! 

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »
When that scene first aired my thought were this poor guys knows something and it is hurting him as to the reasons where, when or why would be shared later.  So if Daniel has passed on and will not be revived, then simply his subconcious knows that plane and the passengers have meaning and somehow the people have meaning to him.

Just my humble input :)