Author Topic: Daniel's reaction to the Plane crash  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Daniel's reaction to the Plane crash
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:15:53 AM »
Okay... we saw this scene what now seems like 100 years ago, but Daniel's reaction to seeing the plane (supposedly flight #815) on the bottom of the ocean is still strange.  I get the feeling (which contradicts what I saw tonight) that Daniel has a moment similar to Desmond's where he all of a sudden knows something and has an emotional response without understanding why (like it is part of a memory).

Also, on a smaller note, why does Daniel initially hide from Dr. Chang if he is going to turn around and immediately start talking to him?  He has the big canister on his shoulder to hide his face as he passes Chang, he barely says anything to the guy Chang was talking to, and turns around to have a face-to-face with Chang.  Odd.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel's reaction to the Plane crash
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:22:31 AM »
Maybe he just needed a moment to gather his courage?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:44:11 AM »
1) Maybe the reason Daniel started crying was because, when seeing the plane crash video, he subconsciously realized "this is it"...that he was about to start on the path to his own death, to Charlotte's death, etc.

2) I wondered that, too, although the canister was on his right shoulder and would not have hidden his face from Dr. Chang, who was walking past his left shoulder. Maybe the canister was meant as nothing more than a prop to help disguise his reason for being down there?

Offline Astriastar

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 06:18:10 AM »
Am I crazy, or did he no say something to the effect of "it's happening again" on the first episode where he saw the crash on tv?  Someone with the dvd, would you mind checking?  It's been bugging me for a few weeks now.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:32:54 AM »
I checked.  Daniel sees the news coverage in Confirmed Dead.  The caretaker asks him why he's so upset and he says "I don't know."  He didn't say anything about it happening again.  At least not in that scene.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »
Okay... we saw this scene what now seems like 100 years ago, but Daniel's reaction to seeing the plane (supposedly flight #815) on the bottom of the ocean is still strange.  I get the feeling (which contradicts what I saw tonight) that Daniel has a moment similar to Desmond's where he all of a sudden knows something and has an emotional response without understanding why (like it is part of a memory).

He experimented timetravel on his own. Maybe his consciousness allready went to the future,
to the island and Desmond in 1996 told him about the island and maybe the plane.
He has memoryproblems and forgets everything, but his subconsciousness recognises the plane.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
He experimented timetravel on his own. Maybe his consciousness allready went to the future,
to the island and Desmond in 1996 told him about the island and maybe the plane.
He has memoryproblems and forgets everything, but his subconsciousness recognises the plane.
Yep, I agree with this 100%. Dan sent the rat into the future, to after it learned to run the maze. Dan could have sent himself into his future and seen everything that was going to happen. That's when he wrote everything down in his gorgeous notebook...after he got back to his "present" time, after coming back from his consciousness-future.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »
Yep, I agree with this 100%. Dan sent the rat into the future, to after it learned to run the maze. Dan could have sent himself into his future and seen everything that was going to happen. That's when he wrote everything down in his gorgeous notebook...after he got back to his "present" time, after coming back from his consciousness-future.
I'm with you.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »
Who picks up the notebook now?  I'll tell you who - Miss Kate Austen.  She doesn't understand a word of it, but I bet Miles will be able to share it with Doc Candle. 

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »

Could it be that his "travels" to the future showed him the pain that comes from this crash and possibly even the realization of his own demise (even if he doesn't know how / when it happens... more likely, it would be the "disappearance" that is, at any point in time, not explained)?  He starts crying knowing (or feeling) all of the events that are yet to occur.

It raises the question as to whether a "trip to the future" can actually extend farther than one's own life span.  So Daniel never "lives" beyond the year 2007 (or is it 2008... either way, you get the point).  Could he visit 2010?  I know... there's no answer to this one, but I thought I would throw out another quandry.

One last unrelated question... how do you think the world would react to all of the Oceanic 6 folks disappearing at one time?  Presumably, airline records would show that they all boarded flight 316 and then that flight went missing.  The conspiracy theory folks would be loving life.  Not really relevant to anything, just something that crossed my mind.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
Sorry... one other question.  Is the potential time travel also the explanation as to how Daniel knows exactly what is going to happen at a specific time in relation to the energy release?  He's never demonstrated that he knows that piece of information previously and since it hadn't happened back in the 70's yet, he couldn't have known from experiencing it in "real time".  As a matter of fact, I can't think of any way he COULD know it without travel through time.  Okay... NOW my head is close to explosion.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »
Well, that was the really interesting thing about Eloise's statement that for the first time in a long time she has no idea what is going to happen.  Because the variables are in play now.  And the variables first are Jack and Kate who have firsthand knowledge of what is happening, the rest of the variables are meeting them at the beach, and trying to find them from 2008.  The story is out of Eloise's time controlling hands.  It's in the Losties' hands now.

Offline otros

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:05:02 PM »
Who picks up the notebook now?  I'll tell you who - Miss Kate Austen.  She doesn't understand a word of it, but I bet Miles will be able to share it with Doc Candle. 
I'm thinking Ellie, and that is how she's able to man the pendulum station in LA and know so much about the future until 2008.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:37:15 PM »
I think the reason he hid his face at first was because he needed to get by him without being recognized to see the death of this person with his own eyes to make sure that he dies from the electromagnetism.  If Chang saw him before then he probably would not have let him through.  It was best for Daniel to disguise himself as a construction guy first.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »

YES!