Author Topic: Detonations: Swan vs. Jughead?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Detonations: Swan vs. Jughead?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
Maybe this is a poor place to pose this question, but it relates to the timing of the incident and the construction of the Swan station.  Seems like some folks are saying that construction is just barely getting underway on the Swan, but from looking at the screen shots of the construction, it seems to me that it is very nearly finished.

The hatch discovered by Locke -- the one on which Hugo saw the numbers -- was at ground level.  In the screen shots, you can see that they are working just below ground level.  Also, they are not digging or working down -- they are filling with gravel, i.e. working up.  To be at this stage of construction, all the living quarters and experimental facilities would need to be structurally complete already.  They are building the concrete tube from the station that leads up to ground level, on the top of which will be mounted the hatch door.  All of this strongly implies (to me, anyway) that the station's construction is largely done, and it would not surprise me at all if it were already operational.

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »
The whole "someone has to push a button every 108 minutes" thing makes no sense, yet. Why can't a timer press the button. Why is the button so elaborate (enter the numbers)?

We must get a satisfactory explanation for this before the end of the series.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 01:59:33 PM »
Maybe as a failsafe like at the flame. If there is a purge and everyone dies including the swan personnel, then the others don't know about the button and get killed off by a purple sky flash * 30,000.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »
Maybe as a failsafe like at the flame. If there is a purge and everyone dies including the swan personnel, then the others don't know about the button and get killed off by a purple sky flash * 30,000.

Exactly.  That's how I always felt about it.  It a way to keep unauthorized people from pushing it. 

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »
Maybe this is a poor place to pose this question, but it relates to the timing of the incident and the construction of the Swan station.  Seems like some folks are saying that construction is just barely getting underway on the Swan, but from looking at the screen shots of the construction, it seems to me that it is very nearly finished.

The hatch discovered by Locke -- the one on which Hugo saw the numbers -- was at ground level.  In the screen shots, you can see that they are working just below ground level.  Also, they are not digging or working down -- they are filling with gravel, i.e. working up.  To be at this stage of construction, all the living quarters and experimental facilities would need to be structurally complete already.  They are building the concrete tube from the station that leads up to ground level, on the top of which will be mounted the hatch door.  All of this strongly implies (to me, anyway) that the station's construction is largely done, and it would not surprise me at all if it were already operational.
I totally agree with you here. If anyone has played Via Domus, when you're in the hatch and you examine the wall where the magnetic pull is coming from it says something like "looks like this wall was built in a hurry" or something. Which would suggest that the station itself was done before the incident and they had to block off the path to that room. I know not all of the game can be considered canon but the Lost writers have stated that everything to do with the Swan and the incident room is.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
It even looks like the concrete wall was thrown up in a hurry too on the show. Buckets of the concrete just slopped all along the wall there.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 06:00:12 AM »

I think people assumed that because Rad was making a model of the station, like the ones you do bfore construction starts. BUT if Rad is doing a model for the damned movie they found at the station, the one Dr. Candle shows... Oh, wait, then makes all sense, the station IS finished and they are about to record the orientation movie, when they change plans.