Author Topic: Why doesn't Richard recognize Daniel?  (Read 9395 times)

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't Richard recognize Daniel?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »
If you came into my camp on my secret island knowing a whole lot more about my island and my situation than you should know, and you helped me bury a weapon of mass destruction, I would remember you, Sledge. Specially if you came along with some bald bastard who claims to be from the future, and who then turns out to be exactly that--a freakin' time traveler!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:27 AM »
They are not use to people walking out of the jungle on them Caught him off guard. He was waiting for Daniel to tell him what he wanted.

That's the other thing that TOTALLY freaked me out!  Since when do the hostiles get sneaked up on?  And so easily?  Can anyone remember any episode where someone just walked into their camp like that without being tracked by one of them first?  When Freckles and Sawyer bring Ben to the hostiles, don't they just wait to be found?

My memory is failing me on some of these things, but really, it just seemed so WRONG that Daniel could walk that far into their camp undetected.  Just not right.

I thought the same thing! What happened to their super sense?? Daniel was almost on top of the guy before he looked up.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 12:29:47 AM »
Just a thought, but maybe because Daniel is in a sense, one of them?

Maybe their spidey senses only go off when the person is an outsider.

The last time they ran into the hostiles, Dan was with other people.  This time, he enters their camp alone and undetected.  Maybe its because genetically, he's one of them.

Feel free to debunk.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 12:31:21 AM »
Richard did ask Daniel if they had met before. It had been 30 years for Richard so perhaps he wasn't quite sure. As for Richard being immortal and therefore not in any danger--maybe Eloise didn't know about his agelessness? Although she must have noticed he hasn't aged in the years they spent together on the island...maybe *gasp* he's not immortal??? I was confused about her protecting Richard as well.

I agree, lostlady.  There are people I used to see every day for years that I would not recognize immediately if I ran into them.  Although Daniel fed Richard some pretty serious stuff back in 1954, they were only together for a brief period of time, and then it's over 30 years until he sees him again.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:31:58 AM »

The last time they ran into the hostiles, Dan was with other people.  This time, he enters their camp alone and undetected.  Maybe its because genetically, he's one of them.

Feel free to debunk.

Very interesting idea.  I like it because it gives me something to think about.  Not sure what I think yet, but it is definitely something I had not previously pondered.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 12:32:56 AM »

Feel free to debunk.

I like your thinking! That does make sense.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 12:33:51 AM »
If you came into my camp on my secret island knowing a whole lot more about my island and my situation than you should know, and you helped me bury a weapon of mass destruction, I would remember you, Sledge. Specially if you came along with some bald bastard who claims to be from the future, and who then turns out to be exactly that--a freakin' time traveler!

See,  and this is exactly why I'm having trouble believing that he would not remember.

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 12:35:04 AM »
Even if they were only normal people, Dan just walked into their camp. He wasn't being very careful or anything. In fact, he was very clumsy every step of the way.

But I suppose you could say they simply weren't expecting anyone on the island to be stupid enough to waltz into their neck of the woods. Specially armed. But that is a bad excuse. Because Kate and Jack were also around the corner and they weren't being very stealthy either.

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 12:59:02 AM »
Maybe it's a stretch, but I wondered if possibly Richard did remember Daniel, but feigned his polite "have we met?" question due to a gun being pointed at his face.  I found it curious, after Daniel was shot and Richard asked Ellie why she did that, that he said, "He wasn't going to shoot me."  It was almost as if Richard recognized Daniel and knew he meant him no harm.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
I think he did recognize him.  Especially when he ask about the bomb.  And I am on the ship that Richard is also from the future and that you do not age until you reach the time that you went back in time.  So he can die. 

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 02:47:10 AM »
But even if I met somebody 10 years ago, and he said something interesting, I wouldn't recognize him immediately today. The memories were coming back to Richard, he had that look of slow recognition, and by the time Daniel got shot, Richard definitely knew who he was.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 02:49:14 AM »
But even if I met somebody 10 years ago, and he said something interesting, I wouldn't recognize him immediately today. The memories were coming back to Richard, he had that look of slow recognition, and by the time Daniel got shot, Richard definitely knew who he was.

what if that guy ten years ago disappeared in front of your eyes

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 02:56:55 AM »
Locke disappeared in front of Richard's eyes; I don't think Daniel did, unless I'm remembering incorrectly.... and that was just a few months ago. Can Richard remember things better than I can? Well... yeah, I guess. Cause he's magic.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 03:14:13 AM »
it was Locke that disappeared, but Dan was there at the same time

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 03:31:45 AM »
Locke disappeared in front of Richard's eyes; I don't think Daniel did, unless I'm remembering incorrectly.... and that was just a few months ago. Can Richard remember things better than I can? Well... yeah, I guess. Cause he's magic.
Won't you be disappointed when you find out Richard is just a regular guy who ages remarkably well.  He's on the Dick Clark anti-aging program.