Author Topic: Why doesn't Richard recognize Daniel?  (Read 7567 times)

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't Richard recognize Daniel?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
I actually miss having more questions than answers, sometimes it feels as if we are being spoon fed too much this season.

I agree.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
Richard did recognize Daniel. He saw his face, something clicked, and he said, "Do we know each other?". You wouldn't say that if you didn't recognize them.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »
I think Richard did recognize him, but doesn't ever want to show his hand.  He was simply lying like he was lying about Eloise not being around.

this ^

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2009, 07:23:44 AM »
Just because Richard "doesn't age" doesn't mean he can't be shot to death.  We haven't seen any indication of that.  Has he even been involved in physical conflict?  Did he participate when they fought with the Freightees to rescue Ben?  I got the impression that he was grateful for the help they got from the pre-O6.

He's a caretaker, not a fighter -- but I think he can suffer injury (although the Island would certainly heal him, I suspect).

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 07:58:18 AM »
Most people seem to believe that Richard doesn't age. Why is that? Simply because we've seen him appearing the same age at different points in time? Haven't we also seen Daniel (and others) appear to be the same age in 1952, 1977, and 2005? Does this mean that Daniel never ages? All I'm saying is that it is possible that Richard ages the same as everyone else, he's just bouncing through time like our heroes and the few times we've seen him could have all been within the same year of his life/timeline (minus that hippy phase he went through). Food for thought.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 09:52:05 AM »
Most people seem to believe that Richard doesn't age. Why is that? Simply because we've seen him appearing the same age at different points in time? Haven't we also seen Daniel (and others) appear to be the same age in 1952, 1977, and 2005? Does this mean that Daniel never ages? All I'm saying is that it is possible that Richard ages the same as everyone else, he's just bouncing through time like our heroes and the few times we've seen him could have all been within the same year of his life/timeline (minus that hippy phase he went through). Food for thought.

While that is a possibility, Juliet said that "Richard has always been here". That means that he doesn't time flash around like Sawyer and crew did.
I really want Richard to be one of the original island inhabitants/statue builders, but that means he probably got to the island with Widmore and Ellie, and is just Dick Clark.

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »

While that is a possibility, Juliet said that "Richard has always been here". That means that he doesn't time flash around like Sawyer and crew did.
I really want Richard to be one of the original island inhabitants/statue builders, but that means he probably got to the island with Widmore and Ellie, and is just Dick Clark.

Sawyer: "How old is Richard?"
Juliet: "Very old."

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »

Sawyer: "How old is Richard?"
Juliet: "Very old."
actually it was Locke who asked that

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »
Just because Richard "doesn't age" doesn't mean he can't be shot to death.  We haven't seen any indication of that.  Has he even been involved in physical conflict?  Did he participate when they fought with the Freightees to rescue Ben?  I got the impression that he was grateful for the help they got from the pre-O6.

He's a caretaker, not a fighter -- but I think he can suffer injury (although the Island would certainly heal him, I suspect).

Bingo.  Its like the elves in Lord of the Rings.  Yes, they lived forever, but they still could die in battle

Offline erh

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
At the point the Eloise shot Daniel, she may not know about time travel yet.  If I saw someone twice separated by 30 years that did not seem to age I would ask who they were too!!

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2009, 05:43:24 PM »
At the point the Eloise shot Daniel, she may not know about time travel yet.  If I saw someone twice separated by 30 years that did not seem to age I would ask who they were too!!

You would figure Eloise would remember if she took him to the Jughead and Daniel told her he was from the future. If Eloise was smart enough to deduce that Daniel, a Chinese Man, and a British Woman was not from the US Army.....you would figure she would remember.

Even little Charlotte remember him. Oh wait, but grown up Charlotte doesn't remember Daniel until she dies....so all that time on the freighter with Daniel, Charlotte didn't remember.

Hmmm....I just contracted my own point with another point.  :-\

LOL.  :)

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
How well would you remember the details of someone you saw for only a few minutes 30 years ago?
If this someone claims to be a military scientist, that will disarm a bomb in danger to swipe my entire land, and after I send him to deal with the problem, my lieutenant come back saying he claimed to be from the future before disappearing in a flash of light... Yeah, surely I would remember it even after 50 years.
my thoughts exactly... there is no way that either eloise who spend time with daniel at the jughead site or richard would forget him.
Wo0uld you recognize someone you saw for a few minutes over 20 years ago if you saw him from the back holding a gun on your friends?