Author Topic: Daniel in the Orchid meets someone we've seen before...  (Read 3188 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
the first time i watched The Variable when Daniel is in the Orchid about to pass by Cheng... he is told to wear a helmet... and the worker that tells him to wear a helmet seemed familiar to me... it may be just me... i might have to watch it again but isnt it one of "The Others" from season 3? Theres Ryann and then the other guy that gets blown up by the tent bombs? if im not clear, which is a possibility, he is one of the Militant Others seen in season 3... ill see if i can find pictures to help or debunk this theory... let me know your input...

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
Re: Daniel in the Orchid meets someone we've seen before...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
ok i cant find any screen caps for either character im referencing... im gong to have to ask for the help of yall... please...

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:39:26 PM »
Gimme an episode, I'll see what I can do.

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
For the record, I don't have The Variable available for screencaps. But I have season 3

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
Ok BadRobot. I think I have your answer. And yes, you're correct.

Jason was the Other that Sayid killed with those wicked Ninja moves.
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Jason_(Other)

Here is the imdb for the actor who plays him.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0337616/

And notice that he is credited as Jason for all of his appearances as an Other. But in The Variable, he's listed as a Workman. So your theory that it's the same guy is correct. However, it could just be a case of reusing an actor. van The Other was also used in a Locke flashback scene. So it could just be a case of an extra as an Extra.
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ivan

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 07:08:08 PM »
THey have reused actors before. The lady at the University when Des is looking for Daniel was the same lady at a ticket counter at Oceanic.

Could be just laziness.

(I can not open the one link)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »
Yeah, I can't tell if those situations are on purpose or if they're doing a Law & Order thing (Law & Order reuses a lot of actors for different roles).  I doubt it's laziness, but it's either significant, or they just like messing with us.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »
well the theory that it might be reusing a characterseems really lazy and wouldd add to me losing interest in the show. ya its shocking now but thy arent moving forward at all... but thats neither here nor there... if they are NOT reusing actors and that is the Other... what is he doing in 1977... seemng to be the same age as when we saw him b4?

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
One other possible explanation for reusing actors is simple economics.  Since they do the majority of their filming in Hawaii, I have to imagine that the availability of "background" actors is a little limited.  Based on that, they very well may just be reusing folks because they have a limited pool from which to select.  Or they could be screwing with us.  Or it could be some underlying nod to multiple "futures". Or... well, you get it.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
One other possible explanation for reusing actors is simple economics.  Since they do the majority of their filming in Hawaii, I have to imagine that the availability of "background" actors is a little limited.  Based on that, they very well may just be reusing folks because they have a limited pool from which to select.  Or they could be screwing with us.  Or it could be some underlying nod to multiple "futures". Or... well, you get it.

Thats the thing though i do not think by any means that either role.. as the Militant Jason, or the Safety first Workman were just a "Background extra"  role. they both are big parts i think... just because they didnt have big speaking roles doesnt mean they are major roles... i think we'll see more of him,

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
I'm on the side of reusing the actor.  This is pretty common in TV.  We have seen it before in LOST with the librarian/Oceanic lady.  And TPTB admitted that these were the same actor but different characters.  Those two charactors seem to be as big, if not bigger, than the ones you are mentioning.  It just a matter of not having to write up new contracts and for different actors.  It makes sense for them to use the same actor multiple times.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 12:55:07 PM »
I thought I noticed more "others" in the Dharmaville as well, and I just thought that maybe I was wrong about what I saw. But maybe when Radzinsky says to Sawyer about how they have been infiltrated, he was right, but his timing was way off.