Poll

How would you rate Episode 5x14, "The Variable"?

10 (best)
4 (16%)
7 (28%)
6 (24%)
7 (28%)
1 (4%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Episode 5x14 Rating  (Read 5923 times)

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
Episode 5x14 Rating
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
After Episode 5x14, "The Variable" airs, be sure to rank the episode using the scale above, and then let us know what you thought about the episode below.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 5x14 Rating
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »
Not ready to give an official rating but I thought this one was a step in the right direction. I liked this one a lot. Got some advancement of the story, some answers and many of the key members involved. Need more Locke!

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:25:38 AM »
a great episode, although lots of really predictable reveals... i.e. widmore as dan's father.
we finally put a lid on the whole "who put the plane down there thing"
i thought that the end was kinda predictable, i got the feeling right after dan got the graze on his neck and he talked to jack that someone, mostly likely dan, was going to die tonight... its amazing the lengths dan would go just to save charlotte and try to remedy everything, i mean, detonating the H-bomb!! at least we know the bomb had a reason... i gave it a 9

Offline sauget.diblosio

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:38:55 AM »
don't really know what to say about this episode.  i know i loved it (gave it a 9).  i know i loved how the whole thing's back in the hands of our losties-- hope we haven't seen the last of faraday.  and i love how our losties might have to choose between never having known (loved, befriended) one another, and simply surviving.

i loved how the last few episodes set up a life for sawyer, juliet and the rest, and how it's kind of sad to see it slipping away.

and i love how, yet again, we seem so close to the end, but still have another whole season to go.

i need to see it again, but i know i loved it regardless.

p.s.  i miss the prominence of giacchino's music, and the prominence of the first few season's cinemetography.

p.p.s.  i wish we'd had a bit more time with faraday, like we had with our losties in seasons 1 and 2.  maybe darlton cuselof should have negotiated 7 seasons with abc.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:09:12 PM »
Although it answered so many questions, it had a great shoot out, a few great Sawyer and Hurley lines, and more twists and turns and a big WTF moment....
I gave it a 7. I just didn't like it that much. I can't put my finger on it, but after so many excellent episodes this season, at the end, it just didn't do much for me.

The only reason I would make sure my son went back in time so I could shoot him, would be if the whole world depending on it. Right now, I don't see that. Of course that could change in the next few episodes.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:16:05 PM »
I have to watch it again before rating it (and hopefully that will give me some eloquence-fuel too), but initially I felt like the whole episode was one big wtf? moment. Daniel outing himself and Miles to Chang, Eloise = Ellie confirmation, Widmore is Dan's daddy, Eloise knew she would end up shooting Dan, Radz finding Phil... and a dozen other things I can't remember right now.

One of the things I disliked, though, was that parts of it felt soap-opera-y. Widmore's confession: He's my son, too... SLAP! ...I felt like I wandered into Desperate Housewives or something. And for some reason, the episode felt rushed. Like, people were talking too fast? I am still totally confused about... 70% of everything that happened.

I'll probably have more to say later, if that's okay, but it looks like it might be an 8. I'm not putting it in yet, though, until after I watch it again.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
I think my problem is that I am just expecting too much. I thought that this episode was going to be as good as The Constant and I don't think it came close to it. It did answer so questions like Daniel having memory issues before island and that is why Charlotte was testing him with the cards. I didn't see the meaning in Daniel's death. For Eloise to know her son was going to die you would think there would have to be a big purpose to it otherwise she wouldn't want him to go to the island(just my opinion). And was I the only one who thought Eloise was gonna snatch up Charlie once Penny went to Des's room? That would have been interesting. I agree with Juggy that it did move the story along and that is good, they were wasting a lot of time just sitting around. I don't even know what to rate it. I wasn't blown away or surprised by much. hmmmm....I will have to think it over  ???

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
I normally rate right after watching, but I wanted to sleep on it this time. I was expecting something spectacular, and Lost did NOT meet those expectations. It was still a decent episode, but I was expecting to want to rate this one about a 15 or so.

Daniel shouldn't have died. I like Daniel and I don't see why tptb killed him off. They split the Losties YET AGAIN. We now have THREE storylines. Woo-frikkin-hoo. We got a couple answers, but not nearly enough for a Daniel episode. I understand why he had to be killed in the storyline, but they could definitely have written it so Daniel would come back. I was not happy with this episode, although I admit it did give some good information. When compared to all other shows around, it's probably an 8. When compared to other Lost episodes, I would rate this about a 4.

I gave it an 8 above.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
Good answers provided.  Daniel's mind being blown from self-experimentation explains his initial "shakiness" as a character - the island was still working to heal him.  Like the confirmation on Widmore-Elois genes combo for Danny boy.  And the wicked double evil encouragement to go to the island knowing he dies (maybe) prompting from mommy and daddy dearest.  These two are moving to the top of the leaderboard of "Island Evildoers R Us."  Also some good Sayerisms.  "He's your son, no I'm not" exchange w/ Chang, Daniel & Miles. 

BUT - why go into Otherville alone with gun drawn and threaten HE Who Never Ages?  Daniel already admitted he's a novice with guns.  And why would Jack and Kate allow him to do this?  And Sawyer should have just split w/ Juliet ASAP.  Why pack?  You planning on a closet in the woods?  Get the hell out of there while you can.  And there's Hurley trying to look nonchalant leaving camp.... with a guitar.

Some really good stuff.... and some stupid moves .... results in a rating of 8.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 04:38:52 PM »
after really thinking about it, i gave it a 10.  but it's a different 10 than i've ever given.  it's BECAUSE of all the answers.  again, we're getting episodes that are wrapped in pretty little boxes with perfect bows on them.  they are wrapping this up for us.  which i love, because of the answers, and i hate, because i don't want it to end.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
10 from me too.  Like Ladybug, I've been noticing the "answers" are coming rather quickly to the questions we've had forever too.  Didn't expect Dan to get shot, but I knew something was up when he rolled into camp with the luger.  Btw, nice back up Jack & Kate.  Way to look out for your guy.  He's either dead or Richard will take him to Temple Disney like he did for young Ben.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 09:06:54 PM »
10 from me too.  Like Ladybug, I've been noticing the "answers" are coming rather quickly to the questions we've had forever too.  Didn't expect Dan to get shot, but I knew something was up when he rolled into camp with the luger.  BTW, nice back up Jack & Kate.  Way to look out for your guy.  He's either dead or Richard will take him to Temple Disney like he did for young Ben.

ROFLMAO - love your take on this Asmo ;D

Frankly - this is not deserving of a rating - I had figured out the parenting awhile back
Not surprised Daniel is dead or is he?
As for the plane and Widmore I have voiced this numerous times but, fell on deaf ears. 
And before someone jumps on this, I don't know it all, but there are things that have led one/me to conclusions.
I am happy they are giving us information and well deserved information
Oh and another point gee Ben didn't kill Penny or little Charlie!  Des lives to fulfill his duty to the island and what we need to understand is why the release of this energy is so bloody important, yes yes they gave us ideas, but there is something to the belly of the island that we have not yet been given.

Great post folks wasn't going to post, but Asmodean you make me laugh ;D

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
Answers yes, but more like confirmations.  We all knew Widmore planted the plane - it takes a lot of financial backing to buy the props and pay off the workers.  Many of us have said more months that Danny is a result of elomore - it just seemed the most logical.

Good new news was in Danny's back story - Eloise is clearly a Mommy Dearest type.  He has been screwed up since day one, as she has pushed him toward his destiny and away from things he loves. 

Still think that young Elli finds the notebook on her dead son and gives him the completed notebook later in life so he can continually learn and enhance his knowledge base with each time loop.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »
Answers yes, but more like confirmations.  We all knew Widmore planted the plane - it takes a lot of financial backing to buy the props and pay off the workers.  Many of us have said more months that Danny is a result of elomore - it just seemed the most logical.

Good new news was in Danny's back story - Eloise is clearly a Mommy Dearest type.  He has been screwed up since day one, as she has pushed him toward his destiny and away from things he loves. 

Still think that young Elli finds the notebook on her dead son and gives him the completed notebook later in life so he can continually learn and enhance his knowledge base with each time loop.

LFTS we had some doubters that Chuckie was involved ;)

Both parenets pushed him to do his work. 

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »
I'm like lots of others here... I just don't know what to rate it.  First off, I got interrupted while watching it live (there was a car accident right in front of my house that ended up practically in my driveway, but they didn't hit the light pole thankfully or we might've lost power and missed the end... LOL... just kidding -- everyone was OK thank goodness.)  So I've just now been able to sit down and watch the whole thing through again.  It gave us tons of answers, but for me they were somehow unsatisfactory answers.  I can't quite put my finger on it.

I for one was not at all sure Widmore was Daniel's father -- I thought Ellie and Widmore acted more like brother and sister.  I was thinking Richard was daddy.  Oh well. 

Seems to me that Sawyer and Juliet handled the whole Suspicious Phil thing rather badly; considering he was the one threat to ending their newfound happiness, I'd have thought they'd have dealt with him a bit more...um... harshly instead of just locking him up under the sink.  I mean, Juliet's a doctor, surely they could've at least anaesthetized him.  And then why did Sawyer let Radzinsky et al in his house?  He should've run out the door when they arrived, forcing them to follow him, saying "What the heck have you guys screwed up now?" and put them on the defensive or something.  Very disappointed in that whole development.

And what is up with everyone being able to just walk into the Hostiles' camps?  I mean really!  Locke did it in the 1950's, and now here goes Daniel.  For cripes's sake -- he got all the way into the middle of camp before anyone even looked up!  I don't know about you guys but I'm beginning to wonder exactly why it is that these Hostiles are supposed to be so scary.  They never even post guards!

I'm very disappointed that they didn't work the Comic Con video with Chang's warning into this episode somehow.  I was totally expecting that.

I really don't like Ellie -- she is a cold-hearted witch -- but I am still having a hard time believing that a mom, even her, could send her son back knowing what she knew.  So I am still holding out hope that she knows something even more... that there's a way to bring him back or still loop around somehow and save him, and he will survive.  She did say "For the first time, I don't know what's going to happen" though.

I think I'm giving it a 7.