Author Topic: the numbers  (Read 10814 times)

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: the numbers
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2009, 03:29:14 PM »
What would have been truly great would have been if it was Hurley '77 who gave DI the numbers to put on the Swan hatch.  That would have been a complete self-fulfilling prophecy.  He would have thought they were special because they won the lottery, then magical because somebody gave them to him (except the somebody would have been himself originally).

Alas, there's still some DI-related meaning behind the numbers.  We haven't seen any other serial numbers associated with any other station, but the construction guy was reading from a list of numbers, right?

Broadcasting them could be some way for the outside world to know for sure that the Swan station was still up and running.

That would have been a Paradox LOL. But why just the swan station?? Why not all of them??
I've been saying from early on that even though there are many Dharma stations on the island... I think The Swan is the most important to our story. Which is why I think they exposed us to that station first.

A giant magnet over time travel/teleportation?? Nah. Oh, I'm sorry, more imprtant to our STORY, yeah, of course. I thought you meant that it was more important to the D.I. But that doesn't help with the logic of only broadcasting the numbers of the swan.

Maybe everything for each station was marked with the same numbers.  If that were the case, there would be different tracking numbers for things that went to each station.  Everything for Swan station would have those numbers as identifiers.  That way, misplaced equipment could be easily returned.  It is a common organizing strategy.

If every station was marked with the same numbers, how would that make the organization easier??
I did not say every station was marked with the same numbers; I said EACH station.  The stations all had different numberts, but all the things for that station were marked with the same numbers as on the station's hatch.  So everything to do with the Swan station would have certain numbers, which were different that any other station's.  Sorry if I was unclear.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
I did not say every station was marked with the same numbers; I said EACH station.  The stations all had different numberts, but all the things for that station were marked with the same numbers as on the station's hatch.  So everything to do with the Swan station would have certain numbers, which were different that any other station's.  Sorry if I was unclear.

No, I just read it wrong. Got ya now.

But then why broadcast just the numbers of the Swan though if they are just the serial number?? That's my big question right now.

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2009, 04:21:19 PM »
I liked the idea that it was Radzinsky who put the numbers on the radio transmission. Then if any Dharma crew heard it they'd be like, "Ohhh! THE SWAN!" Never mind that they're all dead.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »

But then why broadcast just the numbers of the Swan though if they are just the serial number?? That's my big question right now.
I'm totally with ya Bob. The numbers have to be more than just the swan's serial number. And I'm gonna keep comming back to this all the time to prove it... Valenzetti.

And yeah, I meant the swan is most important to our losties and their story. I know you got that, just... you know... clarifying.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »

I'm totally with ya Bob. The numbers have to be more than just the swan's serial number. And I'm gonna keep comming back to this all the time to prove it... Valenzetti.

And yeah, I meant the swan is most important to our losties and their story. I know you got that, just... you know... clarifying.

I can't get behind the Valenzetti thing for many reasons, but mainly because it was never an issue on the show. I think someone (probably you Griz) mentioned that the name was said on the show or something, but that hardly counts as far as I'm concerned. Now that the scientists are getting involved, then they might start mentioning it, but until they do, that reasoning just doesn't fly. It just kills me that TPTB are saying that it is canon, because I have a set of friends that will not even come to this site because they think that all of this stuff is spoilers, even though I have told them time after time that it isn't. So if I were to start talking about the Valenzetti equation, they would have no idea what I meant.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2009, 04:45:34 PM »
Enjoy the ride.  If you know about Valenzetti before they mention it, you get to go yippee like Griz and I and many others will.  It's coming.

Brilliant, Griz, you're in my sig line.

The numbers were being broadcast because one of the Valenzetti sums had to be undone.  When the broadcast changed Ann Arbor (or whoever the heck was listening) would know that Dharma's doomsday-avoiding work would be done -- or at least the first stage.

Whoa.  Something just occurred to me.  Ben never knew about the Valenzetti mission because he had gone off with the Others when he was a kid.  Widmore pulled it all off right under his nose. *muttering to myself like Dan and rubbing my forehead like John Nash*

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »
I don't know what all this Valenzetti stuff is about. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Valenzetti_Equation

heres the lostpedia link on valenzetti des

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »
Leonard got them from Sam Toomey, who heard them while monitoring transmissions in the Pacific.

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=9046.msg515096#msg515096

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
Well, they better introduce this Valenzetti thing soon, because the Dharma story is running out of screen time. I don't think that season 6 will feature our losties in '77, so now is the time to tell us about the apocalyptic equation.
I dind't play TLE, but read all about it on Lostpedia, and it really seemed like a good story. I really hope they stick with it. I would be really dissapointed if Dharma were just a bunch of scientists without a clear purpose on the island. Now, trying to save the world with math, that would be cool. And Horace is a mathmatician after all...

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »
Well, they better introduce this Valenzetti thing soon, because the Dharma story is running out of screen time. I don't think that season 6 will feature our losties in '77, so now is the time to tell us about the apocalyptic equation.
I dind't play TLE, but read all about it on Lostpedia, and it really seemed like a good story. I really hope they stick with it. I would be really dissapointed if Dharma were just a bunch of scientists without a clear purpose on the island. Now, trying to save the world with math, that would be cool. And Horace is a mathmatician after all...

Trying to save the world with math = Jugdish's job.  :D

This is a great post, Nomteticus!

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2009, 11:54:09 AM »
Wow, I am honored Laklost hehe. First time I've been in a sig.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »

Trying to save the world with math = Jugdish's job.  :D

This is a great post, Nomteticus!

I'll get on it!!

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 08:52:53 PM »
He can not do this (record the message having received the info 3rd hand from the same message) because that would be a paradox

I would say Miles seeing his younger self in his fathers arms reading a book is a paradox too

A paradox is a contradiction, not just an anomaly.  In the case of Hurley and the numbers, it's more of a self-fulfilling prophesy.  Seeing oneself in the past is weird, but neither of these is a paradox because there is no contradiction.  Making a change to history such that the reasons for the original time travel are undone would be a paradox.  Miles killing his infant self, for example, would be paradoxical.

Also, when people start to speculate that seeing, meeting, or touching oneself in the past would somehow create some kind of time freakout, this is based on other sci-fi principles that are not necessarily in play on Lost.

Bingo.  Here is a link some of my expanded thoughts on this subject

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=8971.0