Author Topic: Dharma food drop  (Read 7862 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Dharma food drop
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »
Good point Bob; it could have been post purge. Dharma most likely continued to operate for a period of time afterwards. The "hostiles" didn't know anything about The Swan last time I heard so, it is possible that Dharma had to change the delivery method after the purge. I also like the idea that a drop was made during the flashes and took it to 2004. Good thinking.

Everynow and then I churn out a good one. And let me clarify what I was saying before people start picking me apart. Since the only people that notice the flashes were the people going through them, if the food drop fell during a flash and was sent to the future, the survivors wouldn't have noticed the flash.
That makes total sense. But they did see/hear the crate falling in the jungle right?

Right, because the crate was forced into the time (if that's what happened) so it was actually there. But remember when they were asking how it got there, and that they didn't hear a plane or chopper or anything?? That would explain it...kinda.
I do remember that.

And Mango, while I don't disagree with your theory, I don't know if I can agree either. Ben being behind the food getting to the losties is possible. But if I remember correctly, the crate of food made a noise that drew the attention of the losties which brought them to find it. Thats why I'm thinking Bob's way in the sense that it fell "out of nowhere"... sucked through time.

It didn't make a noise, the flashing light was what caught their attention.

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
IF my theory was right then, yes. But I really don't think its exactly as I explain it. I did say I was skeptical of my own theory haha. But yeah, thats what I'm saying up there I guess.

Oh, I don't totally disagree :) For the lack of my own theory I'm just chewing on yours :)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
Here's my theory from nearly a year ago...

An interesting one, Mango. I just don't see how "preposterously long shelf-life" could possibly provide "the women of child-bearing age to remain healthy"

;)

This sort of issue arises in the real world, too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl_boycott

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »

This sort of issue arises in the real world, too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl_boycott

Yeah, I've read about it in my National Childbirth Trust magazine.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »
Anyway... Back to the food drops.

I'm personally more intrigued by the "why?", rather than the "how?"...

The D.I. could travel to and from the Island. The Others could travel to and from the Island.

Why the need for drops of supplies in the first place?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »

The D.I. could travel to and from the Island. The Others could travel to and from the Island.

Well...I think the supplies (or at least some of them) had the Swan symbol on it? Maybe they had to keep up appearances so Desmond would stay put and push the button..

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »
Well...I think the supplies (or at least some of them) had the Swan symbol on it? Maybe they had to keep up appearances so Desmond would stay put and push the button..

I do think the food drops were maintaining an illusion - not necessarily solely for Desmond's benefit, but for the Others' lower ranks, like Juliet.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
I do think the food drops were maintaining an illusion - not necessarily solely for Desmond's benefit, but for the Others' lower ranks, like Juliet.
What kind of illusion? and for what purpose, do you think?   sorry! I always ask you more questions than I help answer, just cause I like to hear what you think...

Offline Kinuvia

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
Over the weekend I was looking at some old posts and re-watching Season One.. Somewhere (too many sites, too many episodes) I saw a 'Dharma Training Video' with Marvin Candle (or whoever he was at the moment) saying that food drops would continue 'in perpetuity'... now I wish I could remember where/when I saw it.  I think it was in relation to a map of the Blast Door.. I was trying to read old info on Radzinksy when he was confined with the guy who dragged Desmond into the hatch. Maybe this is a partial explanation? (or maybe I overloaded on Lost this weekend and it had nothing to do with this??  ;)  )

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »

i think the drops were still made because prior to des turning the key, the swan was the only station not overrun by ben and his buddies. so the food was dropped to keep the inhabitants of the swan fed. or ben had the drops continued to keep desmond from dying and having the pulse(?) build up and do whatever would have happened if the button was not pressed. plus leaving des in there keeps him out of bens hair, and in the swan pushing the button. remember, the swan was locked from the inside. so ben had no way in, and even if he did, des would've killed a few of the others, and i dont think ben would want to sacrifice too many of his people to get the swan. forgive my rambling brain

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »
What kind of illusion? and for what purpose, do you think?   sorry! I always ask you more questions than I help answer, just cause I like to hear what you think...

To maintain the illusion that they were isolated from the rest of the world, first and foremost. The pretense that supplies had to be delivered, rather than brought back.

If Juliet, for instance, knew that Tom could come and go as he pleased, I don't think she would have been happy!!!

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:33 PM »
I am always wondering about this

Could the drops behind the "enemy lines"? The line between Others and DI?

Could the drops be because DI thinks there might be survivors (insurgents) they know that the Swan is still occupied?

Maybe The Others were fooling the DI into thinking that the drops were still necessary?

My question is does Hawkins help/get paid to help find the Island for the drops?

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »
To maintain the illusion that they were isolated from the rest of the world, first and foremost. The pretense that supplies had to be delivered, rather than brought back.

If Juliet, for instance, knew that Tom could come and go as he pleased, I don't think she would have been happy!!!
All right...I get it! Okay, I like that.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »
The big question about the food drops is how they get there at all.  The island is supposed to be hidden and I'd imagine lots of calculations would need to be made to accurately drop food on an almost invisible, time-displacing island.

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:13 PM »
Maybe it's a different kind of illusion though.

If you remember when Sayid and  Locke first meet Mikhail he presents himself as one of the last Dharma Initiative people, which we know he wasn't. He was the one though keeping in touch with the outside world.
Up until Desmond left the hatch there was in fact DI presence on the Island. Then John kindly filled in for Desmond.

We don't know anything about DI reports to the outside world so we don't know whether anyone outside the Island knew that the purge took place.
For what we know Widmore is connected with Mr. Paik's corporation which in turn is connected with Hanso Foundation but there was none information whatsoever that HF offcially acknowledged DI's existence on the Island as failed. But Charles Widmore doesn't have an interest in sharing the Island with anyone else. Sharing if he ever gots to come back, that is.
Also Eloise Hawking can be Others' "mole" in DI, or kind of a double agent. She keeps the Lamppost going and navigates DI's supplies and at the same time keeps wrong sort of people away from the Island.

So HF might still be thinking that there is DI on the Island. It would be them who would be kept in illusion.
I know it sounds all too simple for the fifth season but hey! why not ;)