Author Topic: Locke pulling a Clark Kent?  (Read 11026 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Locke pulling a Clark Kent?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 05:24:32 PM »
Locke = Smokey? ???  I don't get that.  If Ben hadn't told John to hang back, John would've gone with him to see Smokey.  And, it wasn't like John ducked out.... Ben had fallen, was John supposed to jump down?  John had to go find something to get Ben out.

I agree with the conclusion, but not your reasoning.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
Locke = Smokey? ???  I don't get that.  If Ben hadn't told John to hang back, John would've gone with him to see Smokey.  And, it wasn't like John ducked out.... Ben had fallen, was John supposed to jump down?  John had to go find something to get Ben out.

Wait... what??  You don't agree with something I said?  LOL

I was trying to illustrate that John wasn't making an effort to slip out of the picture in order to play the role of Smokey (which he'd have to do if they were the same and Smokey was ever going to appear).

How do you agree with me on Locke not being Smokey but disagree with my reasoning?  I'm not saying this is the only reason they can't be the same... just that it does support the fact that they are not the same.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »

Wait... what??  You don't agree with something I said?  LOL

I was trying to illustrate that John wasn't making an effort to slip out of the picture in order to play the role of Smokey (which he'd have to do if they were the same and Smokey was ever going to appear).

How do you agree with me on Locke not being Smokey but disagree with my reasoning?  I'm not saying this is the only reason they can't be the same... just that it does support the fact that they are not the same.

Well, if I was on the flip side of the arguement saying that Locke is Smokey, then I would say that john went to get something for Ben to climb out of the hole at a very opportune moment when Smokey showed up. Plus, on top of that, Ben screams up "John, wait." And Locke still walked away. It's not like Locke didn't hear him.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 06:01:45 PM »
I think the last person who was resurrected for death was named Jacob, and even Ben doesn't know about that, so now Locke is on the same level as Jacob, and the monster knows that he has transcended so to speak, so it would leave him be, or maybe even obey him.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 06:03:02 PM »
I think the last person who was resurrected for death was named Jacob, and even Ben doesn't know about that, so now Locke is on the same level as Jacob, and the monster knows that he has transcended so to speak, so it would leave him be, or maybe even obey him.

Awesome

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
But it obeyed Ben for a while, too....??

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »
not exactly, you could let a doberman out of its cage to attack a burglar, but that doesn't mean it will sit when you tell it to.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 01:41:34 AM »
not exactly, you could let a doberman out of its cage to attack a burglar, but that doesn't mean it will sit when you tell it to.
But you had to teach it at some point to attack the burglar, and not you.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 02:20:43 AM »
But it obeyed Ben for a while, too....??
I think this was addressed in a podcast.  Ben could previously summon Smokey, but he could never control him.

This is an interesting thread (& great thread title ;D).  It was totally a Clark Kent move, but it also reminded me of how Danielle conveniently slipped away when Locke, Sayid, & Kate visited the Flame for the 1st time.  It's as if the writers wanted us to speculate on whether or not Danielle could have been an Other.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 08:28:55 AM »
I have no idea what a Clark Kent is.  :'(

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »

You've never seen Superman?!?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
Sorry, our European friend!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Kent

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
Oh man! They don't have Superman over there?  My apologies.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »
They do have Superman overseas (been there, seen that).  It is translated into many languages.  He probably just doesn't understand what we are calling a "Clark Kent."

I don't think Locke is Smokey; I think Locke is Locke, although he is changed by his unusual (to say the least) experience.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 06:36:19 PM »
Yeah, put me down as believing that "Dead is Dead" John is now the same as Christian, a reincarnated physical vision.

I think that maybe the only person who has true free will to change the future is the leader of the Others ("The Variable"???)  Jacob can't control what the leader does, only suggest.  (Remember Christian told John he couldn't actually help him, that John had to do things for himself.)  But when Ben came to power (imprisoning Jacob in the cabin with the ring of (sulfur?)), he stopped doing Jacob's bidding.  Off-island Charles already knew about John as someone chosen by Jacob, so he manipulates events to get John on flight 815 and land on the island.  When Ben takes John to Jacob, it's Jacob's chance for help.

Ben has never seen anyone dead be reincarnated (but we have).  So when Ben tells John he wants to be judged for allowing Alex to be killed -- which is hardly the worst thing Ben has ever done -- then Smokey/John uses the "judgement ruse" to trick Ben into doing everything the new John says (thus getting Ben back to doing the bidding of Jacob/the Island).  Smokey appears to Ben in the only form Ben might listen to, Alex.  But, to me, Smokey, Alex, new John, Jacob, Christian, the Island are all the same entity.

Don't think Ben's promise to do everything John says will take, though.