Author Topic: Will you recognize me? Danielle knowing Ben in the net  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Will you recognize me 16 yrs from now?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 03:01:13 AM »
I agree with everybody who says it was dark.

Also you have to keep in mind she was woken up in the middle of the night....how well do people remember things when just woken up?

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 10:05:32 AM »
Let me just say that Ben aged much much less in 16 years than Danielle.  He looks like the same actor made to look younger.  She looks 40 years older.  I certainly hope that this doesn't happen to any of the lovely ladies here on SWLS.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »

If someone took your baby....even if it was at night with just the moonlight on their face...with a crazy Hitler-esque hairstyle.  I think you would remember....crazy or not.  The image of that man's face would be forever etched into your memory.

My point exactly!  I would remember FOREVER!  And I would have grabbed my gun that was right by my head, when that man turned and left the tent, I would have shot his a$$ and got my daughter back.  I guess she doesn't have that natural mother instinct, like she has the survivor instinct.

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
DANILLE LIED
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
When Danielle took Sayid to see Ben after she caught him in the net, she said she did not know him. She lied. We know now that Ben wanted to be caught and I believe Danielle helped. I don't know why she would help Ben but I think she did.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
I think this is just a screw up with the show...Danielle should remember him...

If someone took your baby....even if it was at night with just the moonlight on their face...with a crazy Hitler-esque hairstyle.  I think you would remember....crazy or not.  The image of that man's face would be forever etched into your memory.

Absolutely. I don't think it was a mistake on the part of the show, I think we are all underestimating how a crazy person's mind works. I do think that she should have/would have tortured the crap out of Ben, but, she knows that her mind is a little off, and some crazy people have a very calm reaction to what we would consider extreme stimuli. Maybe she saw Ben in the net and felt like her crazy thoughts were justified because the guy who took her kid is real, and is caught in her trap. And, on top of that, he looks almost exactly the same as the last time she saw him. That might have even been the reason she got Sayid was to confirm for herself that Ben was actually there.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
She told the losties that Ben was an other and that he lie. She wasn't fooled at all

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 01:10:26 PM »
I don't believe Rousseau is crazy. Ben said that to Widmore so that he wouldn't kill her.
She never was crazy.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Will you recognize me? Danielle knowing Ben in the net
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 01:33:20 PM »
I don't think she's totally crazy when Ben takes Alex....but I think that Ben thinks she's crazy. Talking about people being infected, etc. Maybe he couldn't kill a mother, and when he saw that she wasn't a threat but rather a little "off," he decided to let her live. He wanted to protect the baby from a crazy lady, and it was also a great way to take Widmore down a few pegs too...bring back the baby and ask all haughtily if JACOB wanted the baby dead, too.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 01:54:13 PM »
Rousseau was on that Island for 16 years.  15 of those years she was by herself with nothing but mangos, boars, the Black Rock and an occasional Polar Bear to talk to.  Let's also not forget the mysterious whispers, herr whole team acting so deranged she had to kill them, her husband trying to kill her and take her baby, and finally some little bug eyed dude comes in to her tent in the middle of the night, waking her out of a deep sleep and taking off with the baby that she killed her husband to protect.
So are you all telling me that if you were to suffer a similar fate that you wouldn't have gone a little coocoo too?  Didn't you all see that Tom Hank's movie "Cast Away"?!

What I want to know is why the DI didn't know she was there and why they didn't try to help her.  I'd also like to know why Widmore wanted Alex dead.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
So, wait, now, all of a sudden, everyone who was saying that she was crazy, is saying she isn't crazy anymore?? Well damn, how do you expect to ever be satisfied on this show if you change your minds. 15 years of isolation will drive you mad, it's that simple.

She told the losties that Ben was an other and that he lie. She wasn't fooled at all

Right, but at the time, I think we were all assuming she said that because Ben wasn't with Jack and them, and he wasn't with her. We didn't know at the time that Ben was the one who took her baby.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
What bothered me most was how easily she gave up her daughter. You'd figure a mother, specially one in such a deranged state of mind, would fight tooth and nail against impossible odds to stop someone from snatching her baby. She just sort of stood there and wept.
As a mom, I was shocked @ Danielle's reaction.  I expected the cliche "over my dead body!"

When she caught Sayid, she tortured him, demanding info on Alex.  Why did she not do the same to Ben?  The only sense I can make of it is that she really did know that Ben was THE man who stole her daughter, & she felt that she was protecting Alex (or even one step closer to finding her) by handing him over to the Losties.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
What I want to know is why the DI didn't know she was there and why they didn't try to help her.
I assume because she was in native land, and since going out there is a violation of the truce, no one in dharma even knew she was there.

Also, about Jin, the only time that I know of that Danielle ever ran into Jin in the 2004 time period was one time, and Jin was in the background, so it's possible that she never even saw him then.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 08:26:51 PM »
  Didn't you all see that Tom Hank's movie "Cast Away"?!

I was thinking of Cast Away as well.  He was alone on an island for four years and was starting to lose it a little.  Danielle was not only on the island for 16 years, but it was already a psychotic island to begin with.  So she had a much faster train ride to crazytown.  This might be why she didn't recognize Ben or Jin.  Also the fact that it was very dark...I mean on an island in the middle of the night in the middle of the ocean it's going to be super dark.  The only reason we could see Ben's face at all was because we are watching a television show and they can't show us how dark it really is or we wouldn't see what is going on.  So she didn't get a good look at him and then lost all her marbles so her memory was a little foggy 16 years down the road.

As far as remembering Jin...think of someone you met and haven't seen for 16 years.  You can picture them but their face is a little fuzzy.  Now I don't think Danielle and Jin really interacted much in 2004 so he was really in the background.  If you met that same person that you only knew briefly 16 years ago but it was the exact same person (not aged) I think you might think 'huh, that person looks so much like someone I used to know it's creepy', but you would not really believe it was the same person because that would not make sense.  So maybe she thought Jin looked soooo familiar but certainly it's not the SAME person.

My problem is her reaction to Ben taking the baby.  Any mother on this board knows about the mama bear instinct.  I would lose my mind fighting, screaming, attacking, to keep someone from stealing my child.  I'm we're talking hysterical, balistic, the whole works.   Maybe the crazy mom instinct was canceled out by the ensuing island craziness.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »
Or maybe, she just didn't really like the kid. LOL

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 08:53:56 AM »
I want to defend Danielle. She had a gun pointed on her and when she tried to move, Ben shot next to her
and he had Alex in his arms.
Than he said that the baby would live if she would not go after her.

You know the story of the two mothers, they both claimed that the baby was theirs.
The king decided to kill the baby and one woman said don't kill him, I was lying, I'm not the mother
and the king then knew she was the real mother, because she was ready to give the baby away for ever,
just to keep him alive.

She missed Alex and I think she tried to find her. When she caught Sayid she had the tape in all languages with
where is Alex and later she kidnapped Aaron to change him for Alex.