Author Topic: The Will of Jacob  (Read 4416 times)

Offline joetermini

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
The Will of Jacob
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
It seems like Jacob is not just a man or a single being, but a combination of things. "this is some crazy stuff" has JACOB written as a combination of all the leaders of the island in all of his posts:

J - John Locke
A - Aaron Little (The future leader of the Others)
C - Charles Widmore
O - Past leader (Whoever was the leader during "Jughead")
B - Ben Linus

This cannot be a coincidence, and if it isn't, then it expresses the significant connection between Jacob, the Island, and the leader of the Others.

Another aspect of Jacob is Richard Alpert. He seems to do the will of Jacob. He answers only to Jacob; he is above the leaders of the Others.

There is also Christian, who I think is the voice of Jacob. Any instructions are relayed through Christian to the leader of the Others. In  "Dead is Dead", Alex seems to take up a similar role.

Finally, there is Smokey, who can be summoned by the leader of the Others, but cannot be controlled. He judges everyone, and lives in the Temple. In light of Ben's encounter with Smokey in "Dead is Dead", it seems like he can morph into any person. For Ben, he takes the form of Alex, for Echo, he takes the form of his brother, and for Locke and a few other people, he is Christian. If Smokey is part of Jacob, then it is Smokey that expresses Jacob's will, in the form of whatever he chooses.

I dunno, Jacob has always been a mystery, I'm just throwing these ideas out there.  Anyone else have good ideas?

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: The Will of Jacob
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »
i like it...

O = Omarian Lolly

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:56 AM »
Good thinking there, newbe.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:45:11 AM »
It seems like Jacob is not just a man or a single being, but a combination of things. "this is some crazy stuff" has JACOB written as a combination of all the leaders of the island in all of his posts:

J - John Locke
C - Charles Widmore
B - Ben Linus

This cannot be a coincidence, and if it isn't, then it expresses the significant connection between Jacob, the Island, and the leader of the Others.

Another aspect of Jacob is Richard Alpert. He seems to do the will of Jacob. He answers only to Jacob; he is above the leaders of the Others.

There is also Christian, who I think is the voice of Jacob. Any instructions are relayed through Christian to the leader of the Others. In  "Dead is Dead", Alex seems to take up a similar role.

Finally, there is Smokey, who can be summoned by the leader of the Others, but cannot be controlled. He judges everyone, and lives in the Temple. In light of Ben's encounter with Smokey in "Dead is Dead", it seems like he can morph into any person. For Ben, he takes the form of Alex, for Echo, he takes the form of his brother, and for Locke and a few other people, he is Christian. If Smokey is part of Jacob, then it is Smokey that expresses Jacob's will, in the form of whatever he chooses.

I dunno, Jacob has always been a mystery, I'm just throwing these ideas out there.  Anyone else have good ideas?

I like this.  It's a good summary of a lot of the Jacob theories that I have agreed with as being strong possibilities thus far.  Thanks for putting it all together cohesively.  There are still a ton of mysteries out there...I can't wait to get more answers!

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:30:35 AM »
the O right now I have as Oldham just because he is really the only O name,  But it was his last name I think so it might not fit.

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:35:49 AM »
I wouldn't be in total shock if by the time the dust has settled and the smoke has cleared (ha!) the man holding the reins ends up being none other than Dr. Jack Sheppard.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:50:40 AM »
I'd take out Charles altogether. Anytime Jacob is mentioned, Charles gets all dodgy. Richard and Ben bring up Jacob, but Charles avoids talking about him. I think that's significant, though I'm not sure what it means.  :-\

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:04:05 AM »
I think that Jacob is a person, but with some kind of power/ability/connection to the island. It is possible that his sole "power" is that he has all this knowledge of the island locked away in his head, and because of that, the Others view him as some sort of Omnipotent being. When we saw him way back, I got the impression that it is John Locke, and now that the idea of time travel has shown up on the show, it makes it more possible that Locke is indeed Jacob. Why he would take on this new name is kind of unclear, but I'm sure that will all be covered...eventually.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:13:16 PM by BobBX542 »

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »

J - John Locke
C - Charles Widmore
B - Ben Linus

I still think Richard was acting on his own taking Ben to the temple. He said Jacob wanted it to Widmore, but we didn't see Jacob before he went into the temple. And in 2004 Richard told Locke that only Ben could talk to Jacob.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »
I think that Jacob is a person, but with some kind of power/ability/connection to the island. It is possible that his sole "power" is that he has all this knowledge of the island locked away in his head, and because of that, the Others view him as some sort of Omnipotent being. When we saw him way back, I got the impression that it is John Locke, and now that the idea of time travel has shown up on the show, it makes it more possible that Locke is indeed Jacob. Why he would take on this new name is kind of unclear, but I'm sure that will all be covered...exentually.

I agree with Bob single person/entity,  not necessarily the Locke thing although that is not impossible.

Sorry Crazy I think your crazy on this one,.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
I wouldn't be in total shock if by the time the dust has settled and the smoke has cleared (ha!) the man holding the reins ends up being none other than Dr. Jack Sheppard.
I would love that. Plus "Jack" could easily be viewed as a deriviative of "Jacob".

Offline taki1379

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
I would love that. Plus "Jack" could easily be viewed as a deriviative of "Jacob".

I hope not. I think Jacob will indeed be a person, someone that we have yet to see.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »
I think that Jacob is a person, but with some kind of power/ability/connection to the island. It is possible that his sole "power" is that he has all this knowledge of the island locked away in his head, and because of that, the Others view him as some sort of Omnipotent being. When we saw him way back, I got the impression that it is John Locke, and now that the idea of time travel has shown up on the show, it makes it more possible that Locke is indeed Jacob. Why he would take on this new name is kind of unclear, but I'm sure that will all be covered...exentually.

I agree with Bob single person/entity,  not necessarily the Locke thing although that is not impossible.

I agree with Squirt... even though agreeing with Bob with his recent track record may not be the wisest course of action. LOL  Maybe he'll be wrong about Locke being Jacob and that'll be enough "wrong" in his post to allow the first part to be right.  LOL

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »

I agree with Squirt... even though agreeing with Bob with his recent track record may not be the wisest course of action. LOL  Maybe he'll be wrong about Locke being Jacob and that'll be enough "wrong" in his post to allow the first part to be right.  LOL

Hey pal, only my future predictions have been wrong, at least I get my names and facts about the past right, unlike some people....BURN!!

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »

Hey pal, only my future predictions have been wrong, at least I get my names and facts about the past right, unlike some people....BURN!!
Oh yeah??  Well, I'll have you know that I sometimes get names and facts right!