Author Topic: The Ben Complex  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The Ben Complex
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:40:40 PM »
Did anyone else put this together? Ben definately has some kind of complex and it all stems from the fact that his mother died when he was born:

1) Ben can't kill Rousseau (sp?) because he can't leave a baby abandoned
2) Ben can't kill Penny because Charlie came out at the right time. He didn't want to leave Charlie without a mother.

Also, did anyone notice that Widmore accomplished what he set out to do without doing it himself? First he sent Ben into the jungle to Kill Rousseau and "it" (the baby), Alex. 16 years later, he accomplished the task by sending his mercenaries to the island. I, for one, don't think Ben is responsible for Alex's death. I think Widmore had it out for her from the day she was born. I think it was just important that Ben feel responsible for at least ONE death that happened because of him.

Offline taki1379

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: The Ben Complex
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »
why would charles care so much about the baby? I think it all goes back to leadership and what jacob wants. Charles seemed to reluctantly hush when jacob was mentioned

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »
why would charles care so much about the baby? I think it all goes back to leadership and what jacob wants. Charles seemed to reluctantly hush when jacob was mentioned

I agree, Widmore has a problem with authority. Always has ever since we saw him in 1954 arguing with Richard. It seems that Widmore wants what he wants, and thats final.

Offline Schmokey

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »
I, for one, don't think Ben is responsible for Alex's death. I think Widmore had it out for her from the day she was born. I think it was just important that Ben feel responsible for at least ONE death that happened because of him.

Good point - I did notice that Ben went back to be judged for the killing that probably wasn't his fault.  He had saved Alex as a baby and tried to keep her safe.  I do think he was reckless when the big meanie (can't think of his name) had the gun to her head, but he obviously didn't think he would shoot.  True, he could have taken her off the island while she was young, but that would have only made it easier for Widmore to kill her.

Offline LockedInLost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:13:54 AM »
Did anyone else put this together? Ben definately has some kind of complex and it all stems from the fact that his mother died when he was born:

1) Ben can't kill Rousseau (sp?) because he can't leave a baby abandoned
2) Ben can't kill Penny because Charlie came out at the right time. He didn't want to leave Charlie without a mother.

Also, did anyone notice that Widmore accomplished what he set out to do without doing it himself? First he sent Ben into the jungle to Kill Rousseau and "it" (the baby), Alex. 16 years later, he accomplished the task by sending his mercenaries to the island. I, for one, don't think Ben is responsible for Alex's death. I think Widmore had it out for her from the day she was born. I think it was just important that Ben feel responsible for at least ONE death that happened because of him.
I agree.  Widmore was proving a point.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »

Widmore doesn't want to admit that he can neither see or hear Jacob.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
Why did Rousseau have to be exterminated?

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Why did Rousseau have to be exterminated?
Maybe it wasn't about Danielle and it was actually about Ben.  Ben clearly was gaining more importance in the group.  Charles would have been threatened by this.  So, he sends Ben out to do a task he believes Ben wouldn't be able to carry out.  We saw why he'd think this... Ben was extremely hesitant to do it.. it even had Ethan trying to take over the job.  By having Ben fail at something that could be sold as something that must be done, he'd be cutting the legs out from under Ben.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:27:38 AM »
Well, we didn't see how Charles became the leader of the Others but it seems like the leaders are chosen as children.  Charles would certainly be threatened by any new youngster accepted into the Others.  But, for the record, he sent Ben to kill Rousseau and didn't even know she was pregnant, right?  Ben came back saying, "You didn't tell me there was a baby."  Then, Charles said, "Kill it."

I agree it's Ben's mommy issues that had him fail to kill the mother and then take the baby.  Then, we see he can't kill Penny once he sees little Charlie.

It's not clear to me that the Island chose Ben, though.  That seems more like Richard's own decision and the Others suffered the consequences for 30 years.  I think it was just Ben himself deciding to banish Charles, not Jacob or Richard.  That's why Charles says Ben "tricked him into leaving".  By then, the Island already chosen John.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »
But, for the record, he sent Ben to kill Rousseau and didn't even know she was pregnant, right?  Ben came back saying, "You didn't tell me there was a baby."  Then, Charles said, "Kill it."

Right.. I didn't say that Ben knew about the baby.  Ben was hesitant to kill Danielle.. this was made clear when Ethan tried to take over the task.  Charles probably knew that Ben would have a hard time with this (how many young people would actually jump at an opportunity to kill someone... much less a woman?).  I believe it had to do with Charles setting Ben up to fail at something that could be sold to the Others as being a necessary task.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
Like Ben tried to do with Locke killing his father.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 07:52:48 AM »
Like Ben tried to do with Locke killing his father.
Precisely!

Offline BlackString

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 04:41:26 AM »
It does also show that the leaders of the island also seem to be more compasionate or "softer" as the island moves on, from Charles who was a complete tit, to Ben, who, yes is harsh and dangerous, but has a softer side we are now seeing and onto Mr. Locke, the future leader/massiah (He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!) of the others/island and he's only killed one person (i think), maybe it is the tale progressing, maybe it means something, who knows, its Lost!

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
It does also show that the leaders of the island also seem to be more compasionate or "softer" as the island moves on, from Charles who was a complete tit, to Ben, who, yes is harsh and dangerous, but has a softer side we are now seeing and onto Mr. Locke, the future leader/massiah (He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!) of the others/island and he's only killed one person (i think), maybe it is the tale progressing, maybe it means something, who knows, its Lost!

um... Locke killed someone? Who? I dont recall this...

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »

um... Locke killed someone? Who? I dont recall this...

Nevermind. I just remembered that Locke threw the knife in Naoimi's back and killed her.... My bad