Author Topic: Why Did Ben REALLY Come Back To The Island?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Why Did Ben REALLY Come Back To The Island?
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
The whole "I need to be judged" thing didn't seem sincere. Maybe that's what Ben told himself after returning to the island, but that's not what he was telling himself while he was off the island.

Seems more likely that Ben wanted to return to the island in order to escape being found by Widmore after killing Penny...returning to the island was his escape plan. Which would also mean that perhaps Ben decided to be the one to turn the donkey wheel so that he could leave the island and exact his revenge on Widmore, then find a way to return to the island to hide once again from Widmore after he had completed his plan.

Plus, Smokey didn't really seem to "judge" Ben about Alex's death...it merely replayed different events from Alex's time with Ben, then disappeared back down the holes. If anything, Smokey seemed to use Ben's memories of Alex in order to find that emotional weak spot to manifest itself into, in order to call Ben out and tell him not to harm Locke and instead to follow him and do everything he says. "Alex", afterall, didn't say "You bastard! Why didn't you save me?"..."She" didn't seem to want revenge or show anger about that at all. Far more interested in what Ben was planning on doing than what he had already done.

So, was Ben's reason for returning to the island sincere, or something else?

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Why Did Ben REALLY Come Back To The Island?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »
I think he did have an alterior motive for returning to the island, but knew that he would have to be judged in order to proceed with his "mission", so I do think it was sincere.

Ben didn't kill Penny though.

As for being judged, well, Smokey could have let Ben live, or kill him, and he let him live. Does that not seem like some kind of judgement to you?? Sure Smokey used Ben's memory to see what it was that Ben was most emotionally involved in, but that was so Smokey could talk to him in a form Ben would deffinitely listen to.