Author Topic: Bad Twin (Book Spoilers)  (Read 9545 times)

Offline harleyquinn

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Bad Twin (Book Spoilers)
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:15:13 PM »
Hi!

I have the book Bad Twin and am in the process of reading it.  The author's (one of the people who did not survive the crash) letters to his publisher are cool.  I mentioned Cindy the flight attendent to my DH and he swears he heard mention of her on the show at some time.  Anyone remember?

Anyone else interested in Bad Twin?

Sarah

Offline ruwhour

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Twin
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 09:01:19 PM »
if i'm not mistaken (and i can be):

Cindy was the black haired women/flight attendent who mysteriously disappeared from the 'tallies' group right before Shannon was killed.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:31:42 PM »
Yes, that's who Cindy was, ruwhour.  Check the Index for her profile.

As for Bad Twin, I mention it in the sticky on referenced books, though I haven't read it before myself.  How do you like it so far, Sarah?  I know I was a little put off by the way the writers plugged it so heavily as one of the "literary references"... when it's really more product placement to me (since it is a LOST spinoff, and they are getting a cut of the profits).

I also added Gary Troup (the fictional author who is presumed dead as an 815 survivor) to the Character Profiles.

Offline redshadow

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Bad Twin (Book Spoilers)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 07:47:53 AM »
Just finished reading the book and it was entertaining. It paints and interesting picture of the world around the survivors. The Hanzo foundation in their 42nd floor laboratory are very close to the Widmore corperation (Widmore was on Henry Gale's hot air ballon and manufactured the pregency test Sun took). Alvar Hanzo is a friend of the seinor Widmore and previously sat on the board of directors. Now Dr. Thomas Mittlewerk sits on the board in his place and is the sole ally of Cliff Widmore son of the ailing. Both are the heir apperent to thier respective organizations. The rest of the board of directors is often at odds with them on the direction they are taking the company.  Try entering "heir apperant" into the box on Mittlewerk's page on thehansofoundation.org. The book and website paint an nasty picture of him. I'm pretty sure this the "him" that fake Henry Gale is so afraid of and not Alvar Hanzo.

Offline mollyh

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:42:03 PM »
Anyone intreseted in doing a summer book club with the book? Let me know just pm me or aim me!  :)

Offline Juls

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Twin (Book Spoilers)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »
I seem to be one of the only ones that thinks that there is a lot more to the book than just a crass marketing ploy.  If it is, it's a very expensive marketing ploy and a really bad book.  I don't know this, but I'm thinking that it might be a codex for future clues, otherwise it's a somewhat clever stunt/tie in that's just plain irritating since I bought it.

In the book there is also the following:

Chocolate Lab- Agros- the name of the dog who was the only one to recognzie Ulysses when he returned in the Iilyad, ostensibly Vincent will serve the same purpose with Walt.

Alexander is the first name of the bad twin, Alexandra is the name of the Russo's daughter.

I don't know much about the roads in NYC but the LIE is very prominent in the book, don't know if it's real or not.

Paul Artisan, can anagram into a whole host of things, one of which is P N Australia.

I'm only about half way through the book so far, but there has to more to it than just mostly irrelevant back story.

I could be wrong though.

Offline Juls

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 03:27:59 PM »
Moth is a character in the book, who is a friend of Zander/Alexander, the bad twin, and is also a song by Charley's band, "The Moth"  probably not a coicidence.

Chocolate lab in the book- Argos, Yellow lab in the show- Vincent

Alexandra is Russo's daughter, Alexander is the bad twin

One possible anagram for the main character, Paul Artisan, if you use the whole name as it is on the website is Paul Artisan, P.I. you get P Pin Australia.  Among several hundred others.

There's a lot of clumsy wording in the book, it makes little to no sense what the connection is to Lost the TV show or to the web maze other than irrevalent back story about THF.  I think it's a codex but I haven't figured out the key yet.  And it's driving me nuts.

Offline jartog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 01:45:14 PM »
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id=55773172&srchTer

this is awesome its written by a author that was on flight 815

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id=55773172&srchTer

this is awesome its written by a author that was on flight 815

this was at the end of that link

Troup's long-awaited Bad Twin is a suspenseful novel that touches on many powerful themes, including the consequence of vengeance, the power of redemption, and where to turn when all seems lost.

Bad Twin is a work of fiction and all names, characters and incidents are used fictitiously; the author himself is a fictional character.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 02:01:36 PM »
Yes, the LIE is a real roadway (stands for Long Island Expressway, used to take it a lot).  I know that some of my friends were so interested in sme of the addresses mentioned in Bad Twin that they actually took a walking tour of the locations, and found one of the addresses referenced in the book to be an ABC building.

After a little contemplation, I've decided to merge the two Bad Twin threads into one.  I was originally going to keep them separate, because I saw the intent of this thread starter was to post book spoilers.  However, I was thinking about it, and a book-spoiler-free thread doesn't really serve much purpose here... if we can't discuss the content of the book, it doesn't make much sense to discuss much else except the promotion.  Also, there's nothing so book-spoilerish as to keep people from wanting to read it if they really wish to (because no one has posted "this is how it ends on the last page").  So I'm going to merge the two and keep "Book Spoilers" in the title.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 02:09:24 PM by PandoraX »

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 03:06:32 PM »
Just a point of order here.... I myself am a twin.  Older than my identical brother by 21 minutes.  I can tell you that each set of twins does not necessarily include a good twin and a bad twin.  There is so much comparison going on anyway (oh, how come your brother is better at this than you?...) that labels like good one and bad one can be quite harmful.

That said...given the situation and companion... I can be quite good AND bad at the same time.   ;)   :o  If you know what I mean....

Offline abaymomma

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »
I actually read, and finished the book last night.  I couldn't put it down-not because it was good, but because I kept thinking that there was going to be some monumental clue just waiting for me on the next page.  Sadly, nothing huge jumped out at me.  There were a few small things that others have also pointed out: the dog, Hanso Found. is on floor #42 and such.  A couple other things I'll add:  the twins were born (I believe) 23 minutes apart on either side of midnight making their birthdate actually 8/14 and 8/15.  The code to the gate going up to the family home was the boys' birthdates 81415.  Now where does the #4 fit in????

Cindy was featured in the book as the flight attendant to Australia.  There were almost too many references to purgatory and too many other books were used as a means to explain situations that cropped up.  For instance, King Lear, Dante's Inferno, The Lord of the Flies, The Turn of the Screw, etc... That was a bit obvious.  There were also, what I felt, a few important passages.  One given my a minister talking about good and evil and how nothing we do is really our choice, but decided for us by a larger force. 

John Locke the philosopher was mentioned and so was the Escape Hatch.  Other than that, no great mysteries were solved-yet.  I'll have to think some more.  Anyone else come up with good stuff?

Offline B-Bux

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 03:49:04 AM »
I'm no expert or anything, but I read the book.  Not a good book...it sucks that Sawyer missed the last 10 pages when Jack burned them because those were the pages that actually concluded the story; that made me chuckle. 

I made note of all that you have, but I found it interesting with regards to the city of Luna (pg.158-159) that talked about a place where spiritual people were looking for an energy source.  Also, I'm interested in knowing more about the Helios Foundation found in Luna (description, sort of, on page 168).  I'm wondering if this has anything to do with anything in the show as well.

Also, the 4 could come from the number of family members in the Widmore family (4 = father, mother, twins...father, step-mother, twins...almost always 4).

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
The Lost Books
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 02:54:49 PM »

Bad Twin by Gary Troup

Lost viewers have seen both Sawyer and Hurley reading a manuscript,
which Hurley found among the plane's wreckage. Now, it's been released
as a real novel, supposedly written by Oceanic Flight 815 victim Gary
Troup before the crash. The plot revolves around a private
investigator searching for the son of Arthur Widmore, an investor in
the Dharma Initiative, the company behind the hatch's instructional
videos. It's unclear whether the novel, which deals heavily with the
idea of redemption, can shed any light on the show's twisted
mythology, but it's interesting to note the name: 'Gary Troup' is an
anagram for 'purgatory.' The fictitious novel has also raised the ire
of the fictitious Hanso Foundation (see below).

Trent's Last Case by E. Clerihew Bentley

Though not seen on the show, this 1912 novel about a detective who
comes to the wrong conclusion after an extensive investigation is
referenced in Bad Twin.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 09:06:23 PM by PandoraX »