Author Topic: Still unexplained...  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Still unexplained...
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
Dear Lord... is this what we're reduced to now? Figuring out how far the island would move in a thousand years based on techtonic plate movement? lol, this is pretty ridiculous. I am thinking the island moves physically due to the different points on the map in the lamp post. That's enough for me hehe.
Me too...I was just trying to put a bit of scientific stuff into my post so's I'd sound smarter.  :P

ROFL!   ;D

I'm impressed with your research into plate tectonics, jphimself!  I didn't think of doing that.  I was all into the theory you had anyway, though.   In my brain, however, I was picturing the island's "moving deal" as if, let's say, the island was on a puppet-string, and some Big Giant Hand picked it up off the earth so that earth's time could move on without it, and then plunked it back down again.  In that scenario, it would not only be plate tectonics to consider, but just the plain old rotation of the earth.  As time passes, the earth rotates, and if the island is somehow "separated" from the earth, it might or might not plunk back down at the same physical place.

Or something like that.  Hey, I never claimed to be a scientist!   :D

I'm with grizno -- the marks on Mrs. Hawking's chalkboard are good enough for me -- it moves physically.

Offline LOSTNightmaregk13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 07:20:02 PM »
it's an iluuuuusiooooooonnnnnnnnnn :XD:
jk

don't know
i'll need a good plausible explanation
but yeah the idea of the natives being from the black rock seems preposterous
(well there goes my theory)
sides the egypcian references are starting to be plenty to consider my theory

also i remembered that Ben called Smokie to kill Widmore's crew
any thoughts on that?

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:17 AM »
I think we're supposed to learn more about the statue by the end of the season...

the statue is a statue of Ben
Sayid's hand trembled at the thought of shooting a child, so he missed the chest and ended up shooting off Ben's toe

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
I think we're supposed to learn more about the statue by the end of the season...

the statue is a statue of Ben
Sayid's hand trembled at the thought of shooting a child, so he missed the chest and ended up shooting off Ben's toe

LOL James.

Another thing that was weird; and I know this was in the investigations but I'm not sure if we've discussed it, is the fact that inside the lamp post there is a board displaying longitude and latitude coordinates but they are backwards?!? The longitude numbers are in the latitude column and vica versa. What do you all think about that?

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
In my brain, however, I was picturing the island's "moving deal" as if, let's say, the island was on a puppet-string, and some Big Giant Hand picked it up off the earth so that earth's time could move on without it, and then plunked it back down again.  In that scenario, it would not only be plate tectonics to consider, but just the plain old rotation of the earth.  As time passes, the earth rotates, and if the island is somehow "separated" from the earth, it might or might not plunk back down at the same physical place.

I'm with grizno -- the marks on Mrs. Hawking's chalkboard are good enough for me -- it moves physically.

That's what my poor muddled brain had in mind when I saw the pendulum and read about the Focault's pendulum Madam P.  I find it very hard to get my head around it all.  We know for a fact that the Lostees were moving in time (the island wasn't flashing they were), but does the island also move in time or does it just move in space?  Or does it just move in time and because of this it changes location because of the earth's rotation?  ???  We need Dan or Ms Hawking with a blackboard and a pointer to explain it all properly!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 11:09:57 AM »
In my brain, however, I was picturing the island's "moving deal" as if, let's say, the island was on a puppet-string, and some Big Giant Hand picked it up off the earth so that earth's time could move on without it, and then plunked it back down again.  In that scenario, it would not only be plate tectonics to consider, but just the plain old rotation of the earth.  As time passes, the earth rotates, and if the island is somehow "separated" from the earth, it might or might not plunk back down at the same physical place.

That's what my poor muddled brain had in mind when I saw the pendulum and read about the Focault's pendulum Madam P.  I find it very hard to get my head around it all.  We know for a fact that the Lostees were moving in time (the island wasn't flashing they were), but does the island also move in time or does it just move in space?  Or does it just move in time and because of this it changes location because of the earth's rotation?  ???  We need Dan or Ms Hawking with a blackboard and a pointer to explain it all properly!

How de we know the island wasn't flashing??

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
Well I though when someone asked if the island was moving through time Dan said "No we are", BUT I just checked and he actually said "OR we are"!  So now I'm even more confused!  ;D  Here's the transcript from Because You Left: -

FARADAY: The Island... [sighs] think of the Island like a record spinning on a turntable... only now, that record is skipping. Whatever Ben Linus did down at the Orchid station... I think... it may have... dislodged us.

MILES: Dislodged us from what?

FARADAY: Time.

JULIET: So that's why our camp is gone? Because the Island is moving through time?

FARADAY: Yeah, either the Island is, or we are.

SAWYER: What?

FARADAY: And it's just as likely that we're moving, your people and us. And everyone in your group--you're all accounted for, right?

SAWYER: [Sighs deeply] Not everyone. ...Locke.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »
As long as we are going to be all scientific:  *ahem*If it does move through space (physically), then wouldn't it displace water wherever it ends up and cause some tidal waves?  (On the other hand, if I am going to believe an island moves and that people can go back in time, I might as well believe that no water is displaced). ???

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »
 ;D Not to mention smoke monsters and reincarnation.  Hmmnn shall we give up being all scientific, it's just confusing me more I think?!  LOL  I did hear that although TPTB said that about science, they then justified it with that they meant pseudoscience.  I'm not sure even pseudoscience is going to explain it all!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »
As long as we are going to be all scientific:  *ahem*If it does move through space (physically), then wouldn't it displace water wherever it ends up and cause some tidal waves?  (On the other hand, if I am going to believe an island moves and that people can go back in time, I might as well believe that no water is displaced). ???

Well depending on the speed it is moving, there would be a wake of some kind, and of course it might cause some waves, if it is moving fast enough to displace the water in that way. If it is moving very slowly, then no, it probably wouldn't cause any noticeable water displacement.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
A freind of mine has maintained all along that everything is scientifically explanable.  She says this season has thrown her theories all of!  LOL.  I like all the time travle and have maintained all along that it is more than science.  

Well depending on the speed it is moving, there would be a wake of some kind, and of course it might cause some waves, if it is moving fast enough to displace the water in that way. If it is moving very slowly, then no, it probably wouldn't cause any noticeable water displacement.

Doesn't even something moving slowly displace water?  Especially something that big.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »
I like the idea of the disappear-puppet string yank-Earth rotation-reappear theory, but remember that the Earth not only rotates, but also revolves around the sun. So, if it were to disappear and then reappear at a different point in time but in the exact same place, it would most probably be floating along the Earth's orbit somewhere in space.

I say vile vortices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile_Vortices

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 04:30:40 PM »
A freind of mine has maintained all along that everything is scientifically explanable.  She says this season has thrown her theories all of!  LOL.  I like all the time travle and have maintained all along that it is more than science.  

Doesn't even something moving slowly displace water?  Especially something that big.

Oh absolutely, I think I may have worded it wrong. sometimes I just type, and then think about what it is I said. I meant the "violence" of the water displacement depends on the speed. Like, fill a sink with water and put your fist in it. Really, really slowly move your hand from one side of the sink to the other, and you hardly disturb the water, BUT, move it from one side to the other as fast as you can, and water is going to splash everywhere. Does that make more sense?? I knew I should have put that in earlier, but I didn't.

Offline Shmokin17

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »

Or something like that.  Hey, I never claimed to be a scientist!   :D

I think this is a fantastic theory, I really believe you may well have hit the nail on the head with this one.. it definitely gives me a way of picturing how the island could move through space (great analogy too).

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
joshzam has given your theory a fab name too Madam P!  Henceforth it should ALWAYS be referred to as the disappear-puppet string yank-Earth rotation-reappear theory   ;D