Author Topic: An interesting connection?  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting connection?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »
Personally, I'm of the opinion that whatever happens in this 1977 doesn't change the future, as Faraday said - so future Ben doesn't think Sayid once shot him.  On the other hand, I don't know how that meshes with Jack, Kate, Hurley et al showing up in the Dharma class photo that Chirstian shows Sun.
Isn't that a contradiction? If whatever happened happened then Sayid was always there in 77 and always shot Ben as a child. We debated before on whether or not Ben would remember Sayid but now I definitely think he knew who Sayid was because... who could forget the guy who shot you in the chest at age 12?

I think this is the proof that at least part of Lost was not thought out from the beginning. Back in season 2 they definately didn't have in mind the whole "Sayid shoots Ben" scenario, because Ben doesn't seem to remember Sayid. Even a guy like Ben would react in some way to seeing again the man who shot him as a child. These kind of memories don't go away...

ben linus is a lying manipulative s.o.b. i think he does what he does for his own ends. and if that means keeping a poker face upon meeting the man who almost killed him 20 something years ago, thats what hed do.

I agree toadsage, I'm of the opinion that Sayid always shot Ben and that he's just a blimmin good liar!  I really must rewatch S2 & S3 and see how the scenes play out now we know what we do!

Offline IdCenteredNurse

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 06:49:34 AM »
I wasn't thinking of Ecko as much as the comparison...tie in....Sayid   Cruel father dead chickens little boy   Little Benny Cruel father  dead chicken salad sandwich.   I could have sworn that in the lunchroom scene that Hurley was also eating chicken...He does love his chicken!!    Perhaps writers play on previous chicken scentric episodes!!  Who knows what they are thinking  but always fun to take a guess.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »
I wasn't thinking of Ecko as much as the comparison...tie in....Sayid   Cruel father dead chickens little boy   Little Benny Cruel father  dead chicken salad sandwich.   I could have sworn that in the lunchroom scene that Hurley was also eating chicken...He does love his chicken!!    Perhaps writers play on previous chicken scentric episodes!!  Who knows what they are thinking  but always fun to take a guess.
How do you now Sayid had a cruel father?  If the way you got your food was to kill it yourself, then expecting your children to kill it sometimes if they want to eat is not unreasonable.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »
How do you now Sayid had a cruel father?  If the way you got your food was to kill it yourself, then expecting your children to kill it sometimes if they want to eat is not unreasonable.
Sayid's father seemed like he was just a jerk. Not necessarily to Sayid but his brother. "At least one of you will grown to be a man."

Offline IdCenteredNurse

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
Perhaps I should select my words more carefully.  I used cruel in making a comparison as the flashback went from Sayid as a boy to Ben as a boy holding chicken and encountering his shall we say overbearing  domineering or even abusive father.  Perhaps we haven't seen the extent of this behavior from Sayids father and it was just a glimpse.   The series isn't over by far but anyway was just making a comparison in this episode.  Would have preferred discussing that.  I love being new at posting to a board.  Its like theres an initiation process.   LOL

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
Perhaps I should select my words more carefully.  I used cruel in making a comparison as the flashback went from Sayid as a boy to Ben as a boy holding chicken and encountering his shall we say overbearing  domineering or even abusive father.  Perhaps we haven't seen the extent of this behavior from Sayids father and it was just a glimpse.   The series isn't over by far but anyway was just making a comparison in this episode.  Would have preferred discussing that.  I love being new at posting to a board.  Its like theres an initiation process.   LOL

Yes idCenter...there IS an initiation process. We line up all the newbies and give them 20 lashes with a wet noodle!!!  ;)

Offline IdCenteredNurse

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »
Well in that case I will create new names and return every night .     Was worried it would be a pelting with rotten tomatos or having to provide a list of reasons that I am truly a LOST fan and can give 10 new theories on the fly.  :'(

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 06:30:42 PM »
Well in that case I will create new names and return every night .     Was worried it would be a pelting with rotten tomatos or having to provide a list of reasons that I am truly a LOST fan and can give 10 new theories on the fly:'(
Oh, is it not this anymore? JB made me do both when I joined...then the KoKo-lashing...then that thing with the truth serum and a wet towel...Who was that, Thlay? ?? Somebody needs to keep me updated about these things.   ;)

And welcome, ICN!

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
Well in that case I will create new names and return every night .     Was worried it would be a pelting with rotten tomatos or having to provide a list of reasons that I am truly a LOST fan and can give 10 new theories on the fly.  :'(

I've said it before, this forum has ruined me for the rest of the internet, everyone is too nice, even when there is an argument, it's more like a polite disagreement.

When I jump on the other boards I frequent, I am totally unprepared for the dregs of human existence aka trolls.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »

I've said it before, this forum has ruined me for the rest of the internet, everyone is too nice, even when there is an argument, it's more like a polite disagreement.

When I jump on the other boards I frequent, I am totally unprepared for the dregs of human existence aka trolls.

((((hyper))))  We're just a big disfunctional family here!!! :)  I love it here too!

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »
I have to say, this is a GREAT forum. Kudos to Sledgeweb and all the guys and girls here. It really feels like a community.
Today I tried reading another Lost forum. It was horrible. The moderators were really aggressive. Don't post this, don't talk about that, I'll erase your posts. Horrible! I have never seen a conflict on this forum, even though we have different opinions. I hope it will never change.

About Ben, I'm pretty sure the writers didn't have the whole time travel to Dharma thing in mind back in season 2, and since Ben was supposed to be a 3 episode guest star there is no hint of him recognizing Sayid. So even if Ben did remember Sayid, this part of the story was probably made up after shooting the Ben as Henry Gale episodes.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »

((((hyper))))  We're just a big disfunctional family here!!! :)  I love it here too!
hyper tries to go out for hamburgers when he has steak at home.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »
no I just have other interests that aren't being fulfilled here.

wow, reading that sounds like a husbands rationale for cheating........huh

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 11:57:58 PM »
no I just have other interests that aren't being fulfilled here.

wow, reading that sounds like a husbands rationale for cheating........huh
Hmmm. We'll have to keep an eye on you from now on.