Author Topic: An interesting connection?  (Read 7186 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
An interesting connection?
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:10:22 AM »
I was struck a bit by the similarities between tonight's opening scene (where Sayid's brother is supposed to kill the chicken but Sayid does it for him) and a few other past events.  a) very similar to Eko's first flashback where he too kills so that his brother won't have to and b) Also similar to Locke claiming credit for Sawyer's killing of Cooper.

Probably means little in the larger scheme of things, but interesting none-the-less.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting connection?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:12:59 AM »
I also thought of Eko in the opening scene

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:21:11 AM »
There were a lot of similarities in this episode....also remember when Henry Gale showed up and everyone thought he was an Other because they've been on the island so long they should know not to get caught in Danielle's traps. That's what Radzinsky and Horace were saying to Sayid.

Then when Sayid is about to shoot Ben, he hesitates, and that reminded me of Michael's hesitation before shooting Ana Lucia....

There are more, my brain will dig them up soon....  :)

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:22:51 AM »
There were a lot of similarities in this episode....also remember when Henry Gale showed up and everyone thought he was an Other because they've been on the island so long they should know not to get caught in Danielle's traps. That's what Radzinsky and Horace were saying to Sayid.

Then when Sayid is about to shoot Ben, he hesitates, and that reminded me of Michael's hesitation before shooting Ana Lucia....

There are more, my brain will dig them up soon....  :)

Funny the similarities in the situations here...Sayid reminding us of Eko's backstory. And that cop so reminded me of Ana Lucia...  yes, I get you Mrs. A!

Offline Jovial_Jay

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »
I too thought of Eko and Yemi when watching the opening. Also think about this Ben comes to visit Sayid in prison (but not to torture him, like in 'One of Them'), a reverse of how it was in Season 2. But what does it mean about Ben that as an adult, having been shot by Sayid at age 12, that he would put himself back in harm's way to be tortured by Sayid 30 years later? Creepy!

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:06 PM »
Personally, I'm of the opinion that whatever happens in this 1977 doesn't change the future, as Faraday said - so future Ben doesn't think Sayid once shot him.  On the other hand, I don't know how that meshes with Jack, Kate, Hurley et al showing up in the Dharma class photo that Chirstian shows Sun.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »
Personally, I'm of the opinion that whatever happens in this 1977 doesn't change the future, as Faraday said - so future Ben doesn't think Sayid once shot him.  On the other hand, I don't know how that meshes with Jack, Kate, Hurley et al showing up in the Dharma class photo that Chirstian shows Sun.
Isn't that a contradiction? If whatever happened happened then Sayid was always there in 77 and always shot Ben as a child. We debated before on whether or not Ben would remember Sayid but now I definitely think he knew who Sayid was because... who could forget the guy who shot you in the chest at age 12?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:19:43 PM »
Jeff Jensen has a theory that Season 3 and 4 mirrored each other, and now season 5 is similar to season 2 and in the end season 6 will be the losties doing season 1 all over again but with out the mistakes. Your observation would support that theory.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:31:59 PM »
Jeff Jensen has a theory that Season 3 and 4 mirrored each other, and now season 5 is similar to season 2 and in the end season 6 will be the losties doing season 1 all over again but with out the mistakes. Your observation would support that theory.
Thats interesting. But how did 3 and 4 mirror each other exactly?

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »
Isn't that a contradiction? If whatever happened happened then Sayid was always there in 77 and always shot Ben as a child. We debated before on whether or not Ben would remember Sayid but now I definitely think he knew who Sayid was because... who could forget the guy who shot you in the chest at age 12?

I think this is the proof that at least part of Lost was not thought out from the beginning. Back in season 2 they definately didn't have in mind the whole "Sayid shoots Ben" scenario, because Ben doesn't seem to remember Sayid. Even a guy like Ben would react in some way to seeing again the man who shot him as a child. These kind of memories don't go away...

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

I think this is the proof that at least part of Lost was not thought out from the beginning. Back in season 2 they definately didn't have in mind the whole "Sayid shoots Ben" scenario, because Ben doesn't seem to remember Sayid. Even a guy like Ben would react in some way to seeing again the man who shot him as a child. These kind of memories don't go away...

ben linus is a lying manipulative s.o.b. i think he does what he does for his own ends. and if that means keeping a poker face upon meeting the man who almost killed him 20 something years ago, thats what hed do.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »

Well sure, Lost is not thought out from the beginning.  Certainly not down to every last detail.  I'm sure in broadstrokes though that it is thought out.  It couldn't possibly be thought out in every detail - its a show with a production run in the real world lasting several years.  Actors can get sick, die, quit, etc.  How can they plan for something like that?  In Ben's case, haven't the producers already admitted they didn't know if he'd only be on for a few episodes, or if they'd keep him, but when they saw Emerson in the role they knew they had to keep him?

In any case, I don't find Ben's seeming lack of memory of Sayid to be evidence of anything of the sort.  First, Faraday has claimed the past cannot be changed - so maybe whatever is going on in the show right now in 1977 is inefectual toward the 2004-2007 events already depicted on the show.  Maybe the Ben in this 1977 really does die from Sayid's gunshot.  And like the previous poster said, since when has Ben been forthcoming about anything?  So even if the Ben we've know until now does remember Sayid, why would we think he'd say anything?   

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:23:22 PM »
lets not jump the gun, we have no idea weather or not young ben is dead in 77

Offline taki1379

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 11:53:07 PM »

where did you read this theory?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 12:25:58 AM »

where did you read this theory?

It is on ew.com by Jeff Jensen. I belive he wrote about it, it is also on his totally lost video. I will try to find it. I looked around and did not see it. I will try again tomorrow.