Author Topic: An interesting connection?  (Read 4522 times)

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting connection?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 12:33:04 AM »
Jeff Jensen has a theory that Season 3 and 4 mirrored each other, and now season 5 is similar to season 2 and in the end season 6 will be the losties doing season 1 all over again but with out the mistakes. Your observation would support that theory.

very, VERY interesting. 

Only thing that would not make sense it that TPTB say they didn't know early on how many seasons they would go.  So how could they plan this?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:44:33 AM by lovinlost »

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »
I thought they knew for sure there was going to be 6 seasons.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »
ben linus is a lying manipulative s.o.b. i think he does what he does for his own ends. and if that means keeping a poker face upon meeting the man who almost killed him 20 something years ago, thats what hed do.
I agree with your description of him but I don't think he's capable of showing NO reaction when meeting the man who shot him when he was 12.  If you remember outside the church (when going to see Mrs Hawking), he was surprised to see Desmond.  Even Ben is susceptible to being surprised.  He's capable of not revealing anything he knows but it's quite another thing to hide all signs of surprise... it's somewhat involuntary.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 11:57:10 AM »
ben linus is a lying manipulative s.o.b. i think he does what he does for his own ends. and if that means keeping a poker face upon meeting the man who almost killed him 20 something years ago, thats what hed do.
I agree with your description of him but I don't think he's capable of showing NO reaction when meeting the man who shot him when he was 12.  If you remember outside the church (when going to see Mrs Hawking), he was surprised to see Desmond.  Even Ben is susceptible to being surprised.  He's capable of not revealing anything he knows but it's quite another thing to hide all signs of surprise... it's somewhat involuntary.
But what if he WASN'T surprised to see Sayid. Like he knew all along that he would come back to the island at a certain point in his life and he wouldn't know who Ben is..

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »
But what if he WASN'T surprised to see Sayid. Like he knew all along that he would come back to the island at a certain point in his life and he wouldn't know who Ben is..

Exactly. One of the Losties is going to tell him at least part of what they experienced in what to him is the future. It explains why adult Ben is so unflappable and confident. Maybe whichever Lostie it is, can't bring themselves to tell him about Alex's death. Hence *that* bit comes as a rare surprise: "you changed the rules".

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »

Exactly. One of the Losties is going to tell him at least part of what they experienced in what to him is the future. It explains why adult Ben is so unflappable and confident. Maybe whichever Lostie it is, can't bring themselves to tell him about Alex's death. Hence *that* bit comes as a rare surprise: "you changed the rules".
Was it "He changed the rules" ?  I remember thinking he was talking about Widmore...if so, that narrows down the candidates to men.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
"At a certain point in his life".. this would allow for surprise.  I think he'd have to know when he'd see him again to not be at all surprised.  Also, he'd have to have already gone through the capture and torture situation before to know that he'd meet Sayid again.  How many times could this have played out and what kind of person would be willing to go through the same thing each time?  I'm just not a fan of the theory that this is a continuous loop.

I just went to post this when I saw ukslim's response.  You think that one of the Losties told Ben about how they captured and tortured him?  They don't tell anyone anything in this show! LOL  And, I'd have to think that with how Ben ALWAYS withholds information, the Losties aren't going to be sharing information with him.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »

Was it "He changed the rules" ?  I remember thinking he was talking about Widmore...if so, that narrows down the candidates to men.
It was "He" and I'm certain he was talking about Widmore.

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
Because Widmore sent the militia, so as far as Ben sees, Widmore has done something that breaks with his experience of what he was told would happen, happening.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 01:13:16 PM »
Because Widmore sent the militia, so as far as Ben sees, Widmore has done something that breaks with his experience of what he was told would happen, happening.
Actually, I think that was expected... he knew everything about the freighter (even the direction Smokey would come from, go to and where they should run when Smokey was doing his business).  The point where the rules appeared to have changed was Alex actually being shot.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 01:15:59 PM »
I thought they knew for sure there was going to be 6 seasons.
They only knew this after the first few seasons.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »
Shakey - I don't like the idea of a contiunous loop either. What I am saying is that he could have been told that Sayid was going to be on 815. Not necessarily that he would torture him. So when 815 crashes, Ben knows exactly whos on the plane and thus, is not surprised to see Sayid. Then even though he's being tortured, he knows they won't kill him so he bites his tongue and takes it to ensure that things will happen as they happened.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
Shakey - I don't like the idea of a contiunous loop either. What I am saying is that he could have been told that Sayid was going to be on 815. Not necessarily that he would torture him. So when 815 crashes, Ben knows exactly whos on the plane and thus, is not surprised to see Sayid. Then even though he's being tortured, he knows they won't kill him so he bites his tongue and takes it to ensure that things will happen as they happened.
If he was told, I'd be inclined to believe that it was when he requested all the information on Flight 815 after the crash.

I don't know.  It may just be me but, I think Lost is becoming a little bit of a puzzle.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »
If he was told, I'd be inclined to believe that it was when he requested all the information on Flight 815 after the crash.

I don't know.  It may just be me but, I think Lost is becoming a little bit of a puzzle.
It is definitely not just you haha.

Offline sillysab

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »
Jeff Jensen has a theory that Season 3 and 4 mirrored each other, and now season 5 is similar to season 2 and in the end season 6 will be the losties doing season 1 all over again but with out the mistakes. Your observation would support that theory.
love this theory!