Author Topic: Oldham  (Read 5534 times)

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Oldham
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »
Does anyone else think he might be Jacob, he was living out in a tent by himself away from all the creature comforts of otherton, just like Ben told Locke that Jacob doesn't do well with technology, and he freaked out and shook the cabin when Locke shined a flashlight.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Oldham
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:12:02 AM »
Thought crossed my mind, but I for one would be a bit dissapointed if we're to have met Jacob before as someone else who then turns out to be Jacob later on, and its not someone we've met well before tonight.  If Jacob turns out to be completed unrelated to anyone we've met whenever they reveal him, I'm fine with that too, or if there is an other-worldly explanation for Jacob that's fine as well.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »
I thought this too, at first because we're just given his last name, but the whole anti-technology thing too. But he's a part of the DI? I don't know how I feel about that. Jacob has always seemed kind of all-knowing, so if he's only been there since the early 1970's I would feel a little gypped.  :-\

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:14:58 AM »
unless he becomes unstuck in time but with no body to inhabit, so he inhabits Horace's cabin.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:16:46 AM »
But we still see a glimpse of him in a human-y form when he asks Locke to help him. Okay, maybe he can be part of the DI because he does take over Horace's cabin (although I really hope they explain that one, too), but how come he gets to order people around??

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:19:19 AM »
because he takes a bunch of lsd and prys open his third eye, thus allowing himself to transend time and space ;D

stupid hippies

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:22:22 AM »
LOL...I thought it was the real Richard Alpert who did that?  ;)

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 03:23:32 AM »
The book that Ben gave to Sayid, A Separate Reality, is about meeting an old shaman who learns to 'perceive the universe's energy' by taking peyote and smoking 'shroooms. Oldham sounds like the character Don Juan Matus from the book.

Don Juan's philosophy might be summed up in a passage from Castaneda's first book, The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge:

For me there is only the traveling on the paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge for me is to traverse its full length. And there I travel—looking, looking, breathlessly.

Interesting inspiration for Ben. He said he read the book twice.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 03:29:53 AM »
great thread. It did cross my mind too. I thought if anyone, he would be the kind of person to put the salt (or whatever) around his own cabin.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 03:31:20 AM »
Totally off the subject, I was trying to figure out who the actor was who was portraying Oldham. His voice just sounded so familiar.  But if any of you have seen Mulholland Drive, there was this character called "The Cowboy" and I swear his voice was exactly the same.  But the one actor who plays Phil was in Mulholland Drive.  I need to look this Oldham guy up. Hold on.

Nope. Wasn't him. But he was in Bladerunner. LOL! Oh well.

Creepy chap though.  

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 03:32:57 AM »
c'mon, this guy was the "this is my brother daryl, and this is my other brother daryl" guy from Newheart.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 03:35:41 AM »
c'mon, this guy was the "this is my brother daryl, and this is my other brother daryl" guy from Newheart.
LOL Hyper! You're right! I was just distracted by his voice!!! Forgot all about that show!

Offline zuludaddy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 01:15:37 PM »
No one recognizes him as EB Farnum from Deadwood?

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »
he was in a really good x-files episode titled " blood " also.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
plus he was in Blade Runner