Author Topic: Burying The Bodies  (Read 5635 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Burying The Bodies
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »
Was Amy's insistence that they bury the dead Others bodies, purely to hide the fact they were killed?

The Others appear to be expert trackers. One broken branch can lead them onto your trail, so I doubt a shallow grave would have been much use; the Others would have found the grave sooner or later.

Remember how Danielle and Karl's bodies appeared to be not so much buried as absorbed into the ground?

Is there something else at play here?

And Paul's necklace... Ankhs were popular around the late sixties/early seventies, but what if Paul's necklace indicated something else - like allegiance to something other than the DHARMA Initiative? Perhaps, Paul was an undercover Other?

Why exactly did Richard want his body? Why wouldn't his word be good enough, if he'd told the Others that the perpetrator had been killed? The Others seem to believe everything else he tells them...

What if there are dozens of undercover Others within the D.I. ranks? They might use Egyptian symbolism as a calling card to one another (like the countdown timer in the Swan hatch) in the same way that graffiti artists tag their work.

Sorry if none of this makes sense. It's nearly one a.m. here and I'm a bit bog-eyed.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Burying The Bodies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me...and is entirely plausible! I wish I could make sense...make connections...of all the little clues we've received. Danielle and Karl's bodies did creep me out...not sure what it means. You must bury the dead deep, or else, it seems. I also agree that Richard did not need the body for "proof," I'm sure the others would take his word for it. There must be something else going on...and hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »
I also agree that Richard did not need the body for "proof," I'm sure the others would take his word for it.

Well, my first thought was that they were going to recycle the body - which is a bit out there. lol

It does seem more plausible that if Paul was an undercover Other, Richard would want his people to bury the body, rather than the D.I.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
In the thread "Richard Needing the Body", I read it really fast and thought it said Richard FEEDING the Body, and my mind totally thought he was going to feed dogs with poor Paul's body. Cerberus has gotta eat, right? LOL!

It makes sense to me too (your theory MB, not Richard feeding a Dharmite to Smokey).

On Amy's insistence that they bury the bodies: If the Others could find her and Paul while having a picnic, they would surely stumble across the two dead bodies, sooner than later. Others don't kill each other (Juliet got marked for it), so they would know the DI must have done it. Couldn't bring the bodies back, because the Others might come to ask about their missing people, OR maybe Horace would be pissed that they broke the truce, and he'd have to find Richard himself to tell him. But as Locke said, Nothing stays buried on this island. It is a recurring theme, so it probably does have a deeper meaning.

I really can't say what I believe because I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened. I mean, Amy and Paul went on a picnic, and Paul gets shot?!?! That seems harsh even for Others. I think something else is going on there, as well.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »
Yes, my very first thought was that they were going to do something with the body too (didn't think of recycling, but along that line)...but Paul being an undercover other makes sense. Or, maybe they just started to intermingle and breed together!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »
I really can't say what I believe because I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened. I mean, Amy and Paul went on a picnic, and Paul gets shot?!?! That seems harsh even for Others. I think something else is going on there, as well.

Amy's expression when she zapped them on the sonic fence and she removed her earplugs... It just seemed cold. Very cold, considering they'd just saved her. I don't like her.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:08:07 PM »

Amy's expression when she zapped them on the sonic fence and she removed her earplugs... It just seemed cold. Very cold, considering they'd just saved her. I don't like her.

Maybe if she becomes the new Juliet with all the secret-keeping, I'll like Juliet more. There's hope for me yet!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:12:54 PM »
Didn't Paul work for the Security division? Surely a Security Officer would be more aware of the boundaries, than say... a janitor at the DHARMA school?

Something's not adding-up at all.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »

I agree 100%!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:16:04 PM »
I agree 100%!

That's the first 100% I've had in aaaaaaages.  :)

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »
I agree 100%!

That's the first 100% I've had in aaaaaaages.  :)

Feels good, huh?!  ;D

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
You must bury the dead deep, or else, it seems.

Yes... Very curious.

I presume you're considering reanimation (by Smokey?) as a possibility?

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 10:38:49 PM »
You must bury the dead deep, or else, it seems.

Yes... Very curious.

I presume you're considering reanimation (by Smokey?) as a possibility?
That is definitely a possibility.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:16:50 AM »
I think Amy wanted to hide the bodies as a desperate attempt to keep the peace and nothing more.  And I think Richard wanted Paul's body as evidence that justice had been served and nothing more.

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 03:46:37 AM »
Perhaps, Paul was an undercover Other?

Hmmm. This got my mind spinning. Forgive me if I'm rehashing exactly what someone else has said.

What if Paul was an undercover other, and Amy found out? Paul was there to blend in, like Ethan was to the Losties. So he blended in with Amy. But she found out. She said they should take a picnic. When they get out to the picnic, she pulls a gun and confronts Paul. They argue and she shoots him. Hearing the gunshots the 2 Others come running. That's when our Losties arrive. They see 2 Others with guns on a DI woman, whose husband and apparent fellow Dharmite is dead on the ground, and she has a bag on her head. Sawyer and Juliet take out the Others, and Amy has gotten away. Then from there Amy leads them back through the sonic fence, the Losties tell their story, and Amy doesn't tell anyone anything different, because for some reason she's keeping Paul's true identity a secret.

As I said, my mind got spinning. If it doesn't make sense, sorry about that. It's late.