Author Topic: The chess board  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The chess board
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »
Hey all.

Did anyone else notice that there was no king on the white side of the board in that chess game that was breifly flashed in this episode? Its in the user requested images on the front page if you haven't.

For those of us not familiar with the game of chess, the king NEVER leaves the board. It's the most important piece in the game. The object of the game of chess is to capture the other color's king. When the king is in "check" that means that one of the opposing color's pieces has a direct attack position on that king. "Checkmate" means that one of the opposing color's pieces has a direct attack position and the king has no way to maneuver out of that line of attack, so the game is over. That being said...

This is the second time (that I can recall) that chess has been involved with this show. The first being "enter 77" when Locke beat the computer chess game to activate the "manual override" at the flame station. In that scene, I'm pretty sure the notation letters and numbers were reversed from a standard chess game. Not to mention, Locke was playing the black pieces. In EVERY chess game I've ever encountered, white is that color that the user controls. (could possibly have a deeper meaning with the whole black vs. white thing going on in the show since day 1)

The king not being on this boeard bothers me a bit because the king can never be off of the board unless the game is over... I'm not sure what to make of it, but they showed it for a reason didn't they?

Thanks for reading my ramble... feel free to add thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:26:47 PM by Roman122 »

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: The chess board
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »
We also saw a chess game being played in one of the Lost Missing Pieces.

In many computer chess games, a player can elect to be black. I know because I actually prefer the black side.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
We also saw a chess game being played in one of the Lost Missing Pieces.

In many computer chess games, a player can elect to be black. I know because I actually prefer the black side.

Don't you mean the Dark Side? tee hee...

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:37:48 PM »
That too. ;)

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
We also see Hurley "playing" chess against a long dead (and invisible) Mr. Eko

I went back and checked the screencaps for this one, and it appears everything is normal with that chess set.

Also notable, the below screencap is the point where Hurley stands up and said, "Checkmate, Mr. Eko." Notice that Hurley is also playing as the "Dark Side."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xsmMry8awD0/SEZbbNdau1I/AAAAAAAACf8/kE1miGFd6pc/s1600-h/116.jpg
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:00:42 PM by Chuckie »

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
that is strange, maybe it is symbolism, like the good king has not arrived yet, like maybe Locke or Jack.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »
Maybe they lost the king piece and had to replace it with a Dharma Merlot cork that is hidden behind another piece?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »
Maybe they lost the king piece and had to replace it with a Dharma Merlot cork that is hidden behind another piece?
If sledge says it, it's definitely true.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »
If sledge says it, it's definitely true.

the good king has spoken, so it is so.

all hail Sledge. ;D

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 02:44:34 AM »
I re-watched this scene and the other thing that jumped out at me was that there did not appear to be an opponent.  Based on the camera angle, I think it should have passed by who ever was playing the person that made the move in the scene, but in the quick camera pan, I don't think anyon was ever there.

It made me think about Hurley playing chess by himself... it was probably just set up that way so the focus immediately goes to Sawyer, but it was odd to me.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 07:25:22 AM »
I thought a lot about strategiegames, because i keep thinking of the characters in Lost as pieces in a game between
at least two groups. Because of the cons in Lost, the miracles and accidents, the way the players are directed to a place, the way people
are killed off, the black and whitething, the rules, Ben saying that Alex was just a pawn, Des saying that they are playing a game with them, Abbadon telling that he gets people where they are supposed to be, etc.
I also thought about chess, because dead people come back into the play and in chess you can get back a big piece if your pawn
reaches the other side.
But I never saw a chessgame being played without the king. It makes no sense. He has to get back in the play, otherwise the game can't be played. Jack?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »
Being brought back to the island = pawn on home row?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:11:47 AM »
Being brought back to the island = pawn on home row?

Yes, that's what I meant. didn't know how you call it.
But not being brought back to the island alone, but being brought back to the island and
return to life after dying. Like a chesspiece that is defeated and doesn't play anymore
can come back into the play and go on like it never left the board.