Author Topic: Who is the on-island leader of Dharma?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Who is the on-island leader of Dharma?
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »
In this episode, Sawyer called Horace the leader of the Dharmates. But in a previous episode, Marvin Candle (who we don't see here) is acting like he's in charge. What's the deal with that? And why put a scientist or a mathematician as a manager? They have better things to do.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the on-island leader of Dharma?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
Yeah, seriously.  This guy hardly seems to be someone you'd put in charge of this large project.  But he's the one who recruited Ben's father to join Dharma, right?  So if he's not the leader, he's certainly got lots of pull personnel-wise.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:13:25 PM »
Actually, I believe Sawyer just called him boss, right? This would mean he is either Sawyer's boss, or it's a nickname for how bossy he was acting. On the other hand, he could be the leader.

I think Candle was just acting bossy because he's being forced to portray an actor. I don't think he's in charge of everything, or everyone would identify him as the leader. Since he went by various names in the orientation films, this doesn't seem plausible. He was probably the engineer in charge of the dig site.

My guess is that Widmore is the boss and he is controlling the island from a distance.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:20:13 PM »
I do not believe Candle is at all. He is just a scientist and a crab.

I thought they said Horace was the boss.

Offline taki1379

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:48:07 PM »
They did say that Horace is the boss.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:14:34 AM »
In this episode, Sawyer called Horace the leader of the Dharmates. But in a previous episode, Marvin Candle (who we don't see here) is acting like he's in charge. What's the deal with that? And why put a scientist or a mathematician as a manager? They have better things to do.

He's an actor, and probably from Encino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bTvAUVPyLI
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo7YZk1_mks

Doesn't he say he's an actor in the beginning of 05x01
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:07:11 PM by matahari »

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
Gerald and Karen de Groot were the boss.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »
I assumed that Horace was just in charge of the general site management: security; personnel (note his "You're not DHARMA material" comment to Sawyer); transportation etcetera...

I doubt he's actually involved in project management or the scientific research side of things. He's probably just in charge of the DHARMA Doozers.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »
i agree that it's not horace.  whomever it is is NOT running around in a dharma jumpsuit.  they are in charge.  everyone knows they are in charge.  i think horace has management duties, just like sawyer does now as head of security, but they are not "him"

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
i agree that it's not horace.  whomever it is is NOT running around in a dharma jumpsuit.  they are in charge.  everyone knows they are in charge.  i think horace has management duties, just like sawyer does now as head of security, but they are not "him"
Agreed. I don't think Candle is in charge either. But I think both have what LB said: management roles. They all answer to someone, probably off-island. My guess is that Widmore is off-island pulling all strings and there are a lot of "subdivisions" on-island with managers.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
Horace seems like an on-Island leader from "The Man Behind the Curtain" & "LaFleur."  He's active in recruitment/ personnel, & he's the one who went out to talk to Richard.

He probably answers to someone (on or off-Island), but it's not someone we've met yet.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
Horace seems like an on-Island leader from "The Man Behind the Curtain" & "LaFleur."  He's active in recruitment/ personnel, & he's the one who went out to talk to Richard.

He probably answers to someone (on or off-Island), but it's not someone we've met yet.
Agree 100%

Offline Harry Erickson

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 01:24:28 AM »
Horace is the leader but Mark is just a large figure in authority

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:49:41 AM »
If I remember right Sawer called Horace "Our fearless leader" or something like that. I'm not saying it means anything, but that's what he called him.