Author Topic: When is Charles Widmore in charge?  (Read 7884 times)

Offline Where is Vincent?

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
When is Charles Widmore in charge?
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »
Charles Widmore said in the previous episode that he was once the leader, until Ben exiled him.  Then in LaFleur, Sawyer references Locke's visit as being 20 years ago.  So are we to assume that in 1974, while Ben is still presumably a child, Charles Widmore is in charge of the natives?

Offline Souldrinker

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: When is Charles Widmore in charge?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
Maybe he just lied to Locke , who knows? :-\

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »
He is pretty full of himself.  When he was 17, he made a comment on how he couldn't possibly have been followed back to the camp because nobody knows the island as well as he does.  I can see him saying that he was in charge to someone who wouldn't know any better in order for him to seem more credible.  He's trying to convince John that he's needed on the island.. saying he used to lead the Others would make him seem more authoritative and knowledgable... a guy who's in the know.

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
charles is trying to convince locke that the island does indeed belongs to him, not to ben.  ben has been telling locke that the island belongs to him, not charles. both charles and ben know that locke is needed for some reason to help their 'side' win.  so just like you can't trust what ben says to be the truth, i'm thinking you can't trust what charles says to be the truth either.
imo, jacob has always been 'in charge'.   but has charles even ever mentioned jacob?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »
I believe Widmore is the leader of the others at this time.(1977)

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:29:29 PM »
Charles Widmore said in the previous episode that he was once the leader, until Ben exiled him.  Then in LaFleur, Sawyer references Locke's visit as being 20 years ago.  So are we to assume that in 1974, while Ben is still presumably a child, Charles Widmore is in charge of the natives?

I think that we are indeed to assume that.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:00:15 PM »
If Widmore wasn't fibbing to Locke and he was once in charge of the Others, I could easily imagine him also being in the pocket of the DHARMA Initiative for his own gain.

Maybe that's what's behind this "truce"? The 1950s Others seemed ready enough to kill any intruder upon the Island. Strange that the 1970s Others have formed a truce with the DHARMA invaders. Perhaps their leader at that time had his own agenda?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »
I still don't think Widmore necessarily needs to be present in order to be the leader. Generals command their armies from outside the battlefield all the time. Maybe Widmore was the CEO of the DI or something, not necessarily the on-island leader.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
The more I think about it all, the more I believe that the DHARMA Initiative and The Others are two factions of the same group. They might want the same things (whatever that may be) but are using differing methods to accomplish them.

Remember the DHARMA brainwash video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gar6JyV6800&fmt=18

If the video wasn't modified by the Others, it strongly infers that the D.I. were aware of Jacob.

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »
The more I think about it all, the more I believe that the DHARMA Initiative and The Others are two factions of the same group. They might want the same things (whatever that may be) but are using differing methods to accomplish them.

If the video wasn't modified by the Others, it strongly infers that the D.I. were aware of Jacob.

Yeah, but the others could have made that video after wiping out the DI.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »

I'm so glad you didn't say "confirmed" here! I've read so many postings lately where people say one thing or another is "confirmed" when it isn't, I just want to shake people. Or retreat to the Tea Party and munch on scones until I'm over it.

Anyway, I've been thinking along the same lines as you are. I push it a bit further, though, and consider that Widmore and Ben might even be on the same side.

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »
I've been thinking that too! I'm not the only crazy one, you all saw it!

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 06:36:17 PM »

2 posts left, NPG! Think you can do it??

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 06:38:54 PM »
The time is indeed upon us!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »

It's the truce. It makes no sense.

Within hours of Locke & co being time-skipped into 1954, the Others set upon them with flaming arrows.

The DHARMA Initiative have made hatches; built an entire village; burrowed into the ground... To do this, a deal must have been brokered at some point - but by whom and what is each side getting out of the deal?

There must be one or more people with a foot in both camps.