Author Topic: Who's The Others' Leader Circa 1974?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Who's The Others' Leader Circa 1974?
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »
I was dying to see more of the Others' camp.

Was Widmore telling the truth to Locke, when he claimed that he once lead the Others?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Who's The Others' Leader Circa 1974?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »
I was wondering this too...and if Widmore is the leader, then how come Richard went to confront the Dharmites? And how can he call this "peaceful"??

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:09:36 PM »
We don't actually know whom was leading them in the 1950s, come to think of it. Unless those Brits were Richard's first batch of recruits and they hadn't yet gotten around to appointing a leader yet.

I don't think that any of the Others are indigenous to the Island.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
We don't actually know whom was leading them in the 1950s, come to think of it. Unless those Brits were Richard's first batch of recruits and they hadn't yet gotten around to appointing a leader yet.

I don't think that any of the Others are indigenous to the Island.

I think we got a good sense that no one was ever the first inhabitant of the Island, this episode. If Sawyer, Juliet and Jin were there physically before the D.I. but not temporally then who is ever there 1st? The answer is no one, and everyone. They were always on the Island because "what happened, happened." Someone will always be on the Island because it moves through time. They are all there in the same place at different flashes in time. I don't think I'm explaining this very well, but oh well.

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 05:41:47 PM »
does anyone think that maybe horace is a little more important to the story than it appears?   do you think it was coincidence that he was the one to rescue newborn ben and his dad?   or did he just happen to be off the island at that time?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »
I might not be right, but I thought the Dharma Initiative hadn't really been established on the island yet and was just in its planning stages.

Offline lostieloo

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »

I think we got a good sense that no one was ever the first inhabitant of the Island, this episode. If Sawyer, Juliet and Jin were there physically before the D.I. but not temporally then who is ever there 1st? The answer is no one, and everyone. They were always on the Island because "what happened, happened." Someone will always be on the Island because it moves through time. They are all there in the same place at different flashes in time. I don't think I'm explaining this very well, but oh well.

I understood!   :)

Offline Still_lost06

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »
I like to think that Richard has always been there. Although I find it interesting that he is almost always wearing the same clothes. They seem to me like something an archiologist would wear to an excavation site or something. Maybe he's just an unfortunate guy who stumbled across something extraordinary.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
I like to think that Richard has always been there. Although I find it interesting that he is almost always wearing the same clothes. They seem to me like something an archiologist would wear to an excavation site or something. Maybe he's just an unfortunate guy who stumbled across something extraordinary.

Why would he adopt a contemporary North American accent if he were a native? The U.S.A. and Canada are relatively new countries. If Richard is thousands of years old, isn't it more likely that he'd have an archaic meditteranean, polynesian or oriental accent (as these were the first people to successfully traverse the oceans).

You could argue that Richard encountered modern Americans or Canadians thousands of years ago, due to the Island's time-distorting properties; but Richard seemed genuinely unknowledgeable about time travel when he first met Locke - and Richard had his same accent at that point.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
Can we even postulate that the leader might be a female?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
Can we even postulate that the leader might be a female?

I did wonder if Ms. Hawking was ever a caretaker leader at some point.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »

Why would he adopt a contemporary North American accent if he were a native? The U.S.A. and Canada are relatively new countries. If Richard is thousands of years old, isn't it more likely that he'd have an archaic meditteranean, polynesian or oriental accent (as these were the first people to successfully traverse the oceans).

You could argue that Richard encountered modern Americans or Canadians thousands of years ago, due to the Island's time-distorting properties; but Richard seemed genuinely unknowledgeable about time travel when he first met Locke - and Richard had his same accent at that point.

I have a co-worker who is 40 years old, she is originally from the UK.  Her sister is 38.  They moved to the US when they were 9 & 8.  Sam..my co-worker still has a British accent, Nat...sounds like she was born and raised in Philadelphia.

The moral of this story: time changes things.   ;)

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »

I posted this somewhere else, but, when Richard and Sawyer were talking, Sawyer says "Do you still think I'm with the Dharma Initiative?" And Richard says, "Guess I don't," and my first thought was that Richard was picking up Sawyer's Southern accent.