Author Topic: Season 5 Thusfar...  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Season 5 Thusfar...
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »
Okay, okay, time travel is cool. We get it, it is an exciting addition that would be considered "jumping the shark" if it were on any other show. But Season 5 can't be saved by time travel alone. In order to restore LOST back to its glory days TPTB have to remember that the story can't be sacrificed for the sole advent of science fiction and fringe physics.

Can I get a "hell yeah!" if you remember the good old days of LOST? When a surprise lurked around every corner, where a plot twist went so far as to smack you in the face. Do you remember watching LOST on the edge of your seats, waiting for the always twisted endings? I remember. In fact it wasn't that long ago that we were watching it this way.

Season 4 was, in my opinion, the second best season that this show has ever seen (nothing compares with the sheer awesome that was Season 1). Season 4 offered new and invigorating characters, characters that we actually don't want to bury alive. It offered plot twists like we'd never seen before (a freighter? a cabin? a donkey wheel? flash forwards? and what is this "time travel" mumbo jumbo of which you speak?). And it offered a story line that we could follow without our entire brain melting.

Season 5 takes all that and throws it out the window. Now we're being thrown all over time without the slightest explanation. We're off the island seeing the O6 struggle not to go back (even though we know they'll end up there anyways). As I write this editorial, or complaint call it what you will, I've seen Season 5 through LaFleur (S5E8) and I've realized that I'm not watching the show that had once captivated me. No longer do I hang on the edge of my seat, or gasp at plot twists and turns. I find myself, well, bored.

Believe me I never thought I'd say it, but this season is devoid of twists, turns and most importantly answers. LOST is going to be a 6 season long show, right? Shouldn't we be starting to sum everything up right about now? A show with this many loose ends should have started tying them up by now. Instead TPTB offer us this new conundrum- our survivors are now part of the Dharma Initiative. Yep. Now we have half a season to wrap our minds around that sheer possibility before we even see any concrete answers. And it isn't so much this search for the truth that has me all in a rut. I've watched this show since day 1, I like the mystery, the intrigue, and no matter how much I complain I know, deep down, that I'm okay with more questions (mainly because I'm conditioned for that at this point).

I guess what I have the biggest issue with is where our story is going. The last episode is a good example, I found myself wondering "who cares?". There were no revelations to speak of. No big reveals, nothing that made this show what it is today. I've found myself, at the end of the last few episodes, saying: "okay, now that they're all together we can get on with the story" but apparently we can't. TPTB keep filling in holes that could go unfilled for now, or at least didn't have to take up half a season. Don't get me wrong, I'm in for the long run and I salivate at the thought of all of these odds and ends coming together in the end, but at what price?

It brings me back to my original point- where have all the good things gone in LOST? My favorite LOST moment is in Season 1- an episode entitled Dues Ex Machina:
                         In the end John Locke is pounding his fists against the hatch door, crying. Boone has died and he knows that it is his fault. He screams: "I've done everything you wanted me to do. So why did you do this to me?" His voice is trailing because his pain is so felt, he is out of breath because he has been crying for quite some time. As he is about to give up a soft light appears out of the hatch window and illuminates the dark island sky.
This leaves us, the viewer, with a mix of emotions- sadness for Locke, perhaps pity. But also a small glimpse of wonder for the hatch light. This sent me away with a small, but powerful renewal in faith, and that is why I love this show.

I suppose John's struggle is a good parallel to mine. We've sat through such good television and story telling for this. Now, I plead to the TPTB, I've done everything you wanted me to do, I'm still hanging on, my love for your show is still sky high, but move the damn story, please. I beg of you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:04:09 PM by Gutterball94 »

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Season 5 Thusfar...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »
Season 5 IMO is the best season so far. Followed by season 2,1,4, and 3 in that order.  This season has given us answers to tons of questions that we have all been asking for a long time.  Russough story was answered.  We know how the O6 get back.  We a little more about the D.I., we know for sure that they were on the plane for a reason.

While they are still putting questions up in the air we are getting tons of answers.  I really do not see where you are coming from at all.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
At this point I feel like the story has been slowed down, not totally abandoned, but severely slowed down. Where as in Season 4 every episode was a rapid-fire reveal of plot and twists, this season we don't have that. I feel like we should being that we're running out of time. There is less than 30 episodes of LOST left and we're still building on questions and criminally introducing a host of new questions while all of our old ones go unanswered.

Not only that but we've already wasted half a season trying to get everyone back to where they belong. From where Season 4 ended, it's basically took us up until now to get things really moving again (assuming that the next episode will do that). Did it really not feel slow for anyone else?

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »
Not at all.  Each episode gives us new answers to old questions.  While not every single huge question, there has been the small questions that viewers have always wanted

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
My list so far is 5,4,1,3,2. This is one of my favorite seasons.

I think we've been getting a lot of answers, but we're keeping the mystery as well. It's a delicate balance to keep, and we don't want the last season to be completely filler. I don't want everything answered right now. However, I am disappointed by episodes like LaFleur, where we spend an hour with the Dharma Initiative and get absolutely no answers for our time. I don't think time travel was just a schematic element, but it did help tie up a few loose ends. We confirmed that Danielle didn't lie about the whole pregnant/killing crew/baby stolen thing. We've gotten a peek at the 4-toed statue, which I thought we would never see again. We even killed off the last of our redshirts (Rose and Bernard and crew). Not only are we moving the story along, but we're also focusing the narrative. I think the first half of this season has been fast paced and intriguing, and I can't help but wonder how amazing the next half will be.

Sadly, I think that Season 6 will be my least favorite season. We'll be getting all the answers and no new questions. I kinda don't want everything to be answered... at least, not til the movie comes out.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
Don't say movie, please. That is not even funny.

And to answer further feedback (which I appreciate, by the way), I think it was more last night's episode than anything, on reflection. It was, well, dry so to speak. Other than the statue glimpse, and Richard's visit it was uneventful. But I will not give in and say anything other than that the season, as a whole, is moving slowly when compared to past seasons. And I too will be more than happy to see how this all turns out, I know that patience will be rewarded, but it's just so hard when all the other seasons have been a fast-paced, edgy and exciting treat.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »
Don't say movie, please. That is not even funny.

And to answer further feedback (which I appreciate, by the way), I think it was more last night's episode than anything, on reflection. It was, well, dry so to speak. Other than the statue glimpse, and Richard's visit it was uneventful. But I will not give in and say anything other than that the season, as a whole, is moving slowly when compared to past seasons. And I too will be more than happy to see how this all turns out, I know that patience will be rewarded, but it's just so hard when all the other seasons have been a fast-paced, edgy and exciting treat.
I agree that the last episode was about as dry as Lost ever gets.

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
hmmm.  I dont think Rose and Bernard are dead. 

I think last nights episode is more of a little preview that sets up the second half of the season.  This might be part of the reason why there is a week break.  If you look at it and think, without this episode what will we know.  Basically nothing that has happened in the last three years.  We go from Jack, Kate, Hurley vanishing from a plane to being found by Sawyer who is now lead of Security.  I think this last episode while not great with twist and turns and things, was very good in showing us the story of how Sawyer, Juliette, Jin, Miles, and Daniel.  Intermingle themselves into the D.I.

Offline Jas0n

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
I agree with most of what your saying, but i think this season is one of the best.. I loved every season except for season 3 which was a joke. 2,4,5,1,............3 something like that.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:06:30 AM »
Season 1 rocked. It was the best ever. Nothing compares to it. But the rest is pretty freaking awesome!!!

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »
hmmm.  I dont think Rose and Bernard are dead. 

Jin spent the last 3 years searching the island grid by grid looking for their friends. We have seen nothing that suggests they have been found and are alive.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
My list so far is 5,4,1,3,2. This is one of my favorite seasons.

Wow!  I can't see how someone loves this season, but ranks season 2 last (behind season 3!)

Anyway, my ranks are 2, 5, 1, 4, 3...

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »
Season 2 was awful. We had to put up with Ana Lucia. Completely ruined the entire season. Then Michael's entire story was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALTT!!!!!!

Awful. Awful.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »
Come on...  Season 2 gave us the hatches, expansion of the numbers, the map, Dharma, Desmond, Ben, the button, a great season opener and closer, and so much more... I loved it!!!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
Awful.

(imho)