Author Topic: Does Goodspeed know Sawyer is lying??  (Read 9429 times)

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Does Goodspeed know Sawyer is lying??
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:19 AM »
I think they suspected them of being hostiles, till he made everything alright with Richard, but if were me I would think it even more with him fixing things with who seemed to strike fear in to the DI people.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 03:09:32 AM »
I think Sawyer was always a natural but reluctant leader who could never get out of Jack's shadow.  There was an episode where Jack was gone and Sawyer stepped in as leader and at first he didn't want to, but he was good at it and it rubbed off on him and then Jack comes back and you can see the disappointment on Sawyer's face.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »
I think Sawyer was always a natural but reluctant leader who could never get out of Jack's shadow.  There was an episode where Jack was gone and Sawyer stepped in as leader and at first he didn't want to, but he was good at it and it rubbed off on him and then Jack comes back and you can see the disappointment on Sawyer's face.

that and disappointment cuz he wantged to bang kate with no problems

Offline Beej

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
And why did Horace said to Sawyer that he doesn't qualified for Dharma material ? He doesn't even know who Sawyer is. What is Dharma material ? I remember Ben saying to the losties they weren't good people that is why they weren't recruited by the others.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
And why did Horace said to Sawyer that he doesn't qualified for Dharma material ? He doesn't even know who Sawyer is. What is Dharma material ? I remember Ben saying to the losties they weren't good people that is why they weren't recruited by the others.
I think he was referring to the fact that Sawyer seems a little untamed... not really someone that you'd envision as a company man.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
I think Horace knew he was lying, but he knew he wasn't "a hostile".  Obviously after Sawyer's "chat" with Richard, Horace decided that Sawyer was someone he'd want to have on his side of the island.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:39 AM »
I think they suspected them of being hostiles, till he made everything alright with Richard, but if were me I would think it even more with him fixing things with who seemed to strike fear in to the DI people.

I think killing two "hostiles", in addition to negotiating with Richard, probably helped gain Horace's trust as well.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
Obviously after Sawyer's "chat" with Richard, Horace decided that Sawyer was someone he'd want to have on his side of the island.

Agreed.  I definitely got the impression that Horace knew what the Black Rock was -- his face just went a little bit too blank when Sawyer asked him if he'd ever heard of it, and he was just a little too innocent with his "Why, no!  I haven't!"   That doesn't necessarily tell him Sawyer was lying, though, I guess -- theoretically a salvage boat wouldn't be aware that the shipwrecked Black Rock was in the middle of some island's jungle.

But he had to have been impressed with Sawyer's negotiation skills with Richard.  Better to have him on our side than theirs, right?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 12:19:30 PM »

Yeah, not only that, but how many people in real-life did the Dharma Volunteer Recruitment program? I mean, if I'm qualified for the DI, certainly Sawyer is....

Also, Roger Linus is DI material? pffffffftttt. I don't buy it. Something else is going on with Horace. He knows stuff.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »
Maybe Horace thought he was running a con on Sawyer. Follow me on this. Imagine you are Horace, and the following happens...

Some strangers (Sawyer and crew) comes out of nowhere, rescues one of the D.I. (Amy), even kills two of the hostiles (Thing 1 and Thing 2) as proof that they are not hostiles, **lays this crazy story on you about how they got to the island looking for some lost slave ship,** and then manages to convince the hostile in charge (Richard) to not attack the D.I. as justice for breaking the truce.

Now, as Horace, would you think that is true, or that the hostiles had just infiltrated your base?? Now that the hostiles are there, Horace says that they can have 2 weeks to find their friends, but plans to try and get info about the hostiles. I bet that there will be very strict rules applied to Sawyer and crew if they are going to be staying there.

Edited section in red, added it after the fact.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:21:28 PM by BobBX542 »

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »

Hippies and Rednecks have a long history of not liking each other, so I could understand Horace being a little standoffish with the country bumpkin that just waltzed into his camp.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »
Horace seemed pretty gullible to me.  I feel sometimes we overthink this show.  He believed Sawyer.  Sawyer fooled him.  It's that simple.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »
Horace seemed pretty gullible to me.  I feel sometimes we overthink this show.  He believed Sawyer.  Sawyer fooled him.  It's that simple.
I agree that he was certainly represented this way last night.  However, let's not forget that Jacob is using the cabin that Horace built.  And, that Horace was able to visit John in his dream and give him a map to the cabin.  Seems to me that Horace isn't just some fool who stumbled into leadership of the DI.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
I agree that he was certainly represented this way last night.  However, let's not forget that Jacob is using the cabin that Horace built.  And, that Horace was able to visit John in his dream and give him a map to the cabin.  Seems to me that Horace isn't just some fool who stumbled into leadership of the DI.

plus, in "The Man Behind The Curtain" when Ben saw Horace's dead body, you could tell it actually affected him, sorta the way he said "I'm gonna miss you John, I really am"

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »
Refresh my memory, but didn't we learn in The Man Behind the Curtain that Horace's occupation was Physicist?  I thought it was on his Dharma jumpsuit.  So maybe he does know more than we are led to believe.