Author Topic: Penny was born on the island  (Read 5574 times)

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Penny was born on the island
« on: February 27, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »
If Widmore met Locke at 17 and led his people for 3 decades until Ben tricked him into turning the wheel, then Penny must have been born on the island. Maybe ala Ben and Alex, Charles stole her from someone else on the island.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Penny was born on the island
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:17:36 AM »
If Widmore met Locke at 17 and led his people for 3 decades until Ben tricked him into turning the wheel, then Penny must have been born on the island. Maybe ala Ben and Alex, Charles stole her from someone else on the island.

I couldn't agree with you more about her being born on the island...but I think she's his...

Which kinda makes other things make more sense in my head...

The two guys at the end of season 2 that she's hired...how'd she know to hire them unless she knows about the island...most people when the person they love goes missing hire a p.i. not two nutty scientists in the arctic...I've found that all things she's told about the island and things that happen, she's usually quite calm...doesn't question it too much, she does a bit...if she was born on the island and knows about it...then in my head, that makes these responses a bit more explained since she would know all about the island...since her dad seems kinda bitter about getting the boot ;)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »
The two guys at the end of season 2 that she's hired...how'd she know to hire them unless she knows about the island...most people when the person they love goes missing hire a p.i. not two nutty scientists in the arctic...I've found that all things she's told about the island and things that happen, she's usually quite calm...doesn't question it too much, she does a bit...if she was born on the island and knows about it...then in my head, that makes these responses a bit more explained since she would know all about the island...since her dad seems kinda bitter about getting the boot ;)

Penny has always known more than she should. I personally find her very false and sinister. I have no idea why she gets a Golden Ticket to sainthood by the Lost fan community.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:49:34 AM »

Penny has always known more than she should. I personally find her very false and sinister. I have no idea why she gets a Golden Ticket to sainthood by the Lost fan community.

I tend to agree with you, MangoBingo.  I don't trust her as far as I could throw her.  Nor Juliet either.  "Sinister" is a good word for both of them. 

I think she gets the Golden Ticket because Desmond loves her, and we like Desmond and want him to be happy.

Offline beanblog

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »
Wow I hadn't thought about that!  Makes sense though - another parallel between Ben and Widmore.  It makes me think that the "He's Our You" episode that's coming up might take place in the Dharma days and refer to Charles being the "Ben" of the 80s.

Offline Lyricc96

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
Excellent points!!! It makes so much more sense now, Penny was born on the island!!! She must know more than she is letting on!!! I hope more of what she knows will be revealed soon.

Offline Passenger23

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:42:35 PM »
Maybe it was Penny that gave Ben the beatdown...

Maybe the island isn't through with her yet either and wouldn't let Ben kill her.

I like the notion that Penny is far deeper than what she seems to be.  She's an Other by birth.  Daniel's sister, perhaps?

Is Penny the hooded girl in the previews for LaFleur?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »
I like the notion that Penny is far deeper than what she seems to be.

Honestly, I've been saying this for ages now. She isn't what she seems. Nothing she says or does makes any sense whatsoever.

Offline userh6478

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »
HAa. Maybe she is the key.I agree

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:05 PM »

I never thought about her being sinister...but you know what they say about a bad Penny...  ;)

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
I think there is more to Penny than we know - just from hertreatment of Des. 
Was she born on the island?  If so, is she the laast healthy child to be cinceived and born there? 
Juliet is on the island to try to find out why island babies (and their moms) die.  Aaron and Alex were both conceived elsewhere, but born on the island.  That worked out okay.  Sun's baby was conceived on the island, but born elsewhere.  That worked out okay.  We still don;'t know why babies cannot be conceived and born on the island.  Apparently, they used to be.  Why didn't the Others just send their pregnant women off the island to give birth?

Did something happen that made the island antithecal to birth, or was it always that way?  If it is an island of death, then maybe that explains it.  Was Charlotte born on the island?  Did she know Penny?

Any thoughts on this?

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 02:30:08 PM »
Could it be that they were able to have babies on the island until the Orchid was built and then started messing around with time travel.

We see what I assume is Miles as a baby and Dr Candle goes to the construction site of the Orchid.  So there are still kids being born at this point.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
Why didn't the Others just send their pregnant women off the island to give birth?

I believe that Sarah (Jack's ex-wife) was an off-Island Other whom had come to civilzation to "spawn" (for want of a better word).

Juliet knew her. Juliet is a fertility expert.

And Sarah's fiance, Kevin, disappeared off the radar as soon as he was told that sex was out of the question - so Kevin was possibly an off-Island Other too!

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Man_of_Science%2C_Man_of_Faith_transcript

[FLASHBACK to Jack and Sarah's fiance, Kevin, in Jack's office.]

JACK: Your fiance was seriously injured. It could take as long as 10, maybe 12 hours. I won't know how extensive the damage is until I get inside.

KEVIN: She was going for a dress fitting and to look at tablecloths.

JACK: When is it -- the wedding?

KEVIN: It's 8 months.

JACK: Well, I'm sure Sarah will have recovered by then.

KEVIN: Um, what does that mean?

JACK: There will be ongoing physical therapy, but if she works really hard...

KEVIN: Well, well, will we be able to, you know, make love?

JACK: You need to know that there's a chance Sarah may very well need professional care for the rest of her life.

Sarah also had Christian's number on her mobile phone.

???

Offline Luna C

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:18 PM »
I believe that Sarah (Jack's ex-wife) was an off-Island Other whom had come to civilzation to "spawn" (for want of a better word).

When did we find out Juliet and Sarah knew each other? I don't recall that at all...

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »

When did we find out Juliet and Sarah knew each other? I don't recall that at all...

Well, I'm not saying she knew her as a friend, but rather she knew of her...

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/S3E01_-_A_Tale_of_Two_Cities_Transcript

JULIET: Jack. Jack. What would you like to find out?

JACK: Is she -- is she happy?

JULIET: Yes, Jack, she's very happy.