Author Topic: Grandpa Shepard on the same team as young Widmore?  (Read 5729 times)

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Grandpa Shepard on the same team as young Widmore?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
I thought that Ray SHepard would be more important to the show, but I think he just proved that Jack is the key.
Christian was just along for the ride and ended up on the island, and made a ghost.

I really thought Jack was going to going to take his grandfather with him. Honestly, if I was Jack, I would have.
The island is a better place than that nursing home. Even if you are being chased by Smokie, having flaming arrows shot at you, etc.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
I just feel it in my bones.... Grandpa Shepard has been on the island before...  and I think he'll be back in an important way before the end of the Series...

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 03:15:11 AM »
But I don't think they can introduce anybody like that and just leave it. We'd never seen him before, and there were other ways for Jack to get something of his Dad's.

This is exactly my thoughts. Can anyone name a character that has had that many lines, whom we've never heard from again? Claire's psychic maybe? Sam Toomey? There certainly aren't many. And how often do we meet anyone's family who doesn't pop up ever again? C'mon now people, are we watching the same show?

And yes, there were plenty of ways to get something else of his dad's. For instance, I'm sure his mother would have had plenty of things of Christian's that she'd give up.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »
I thought that Ray SHepard would be more important to the show, but I think he just proved that Jack is the key.
Christian was just along for the ride and ended up on the island, and made a ghost.

I really thought Jack was going to going to take his grandfather with him. Honestly, if I was Jack, I would have.
The island is a better place than that nursing home. Even if you are being chased by Smokie, having flaming arrows shot at you, etc.

I think that not only is tome on a loop but the key to stop it or whatever they are ultimately trying to do is also on a loop... so if one generation cant do it... then the next will..

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »

I also thought it was weird that Jack would react so strongly to the shoes.  How did he even recognize that they were his dad's?  All those shoes look alike to me.

LOL!  Me, too!  I mean, they were a pair of black wing-tips -- big hairy deal.  There must be a pair in every man's closet if he's over age 50, right? 

I looked on IMDB and Lostpedia to see if the actor playing Ray is credited for any other episodes... (hit "quote" if you want to be spoiled...)he's not, for what that's worth...

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
But I don't think they can introduce anybody like that and just leave it. We'd never seen him before, and there were other ways for Jack to get something of his Dad's.

This is exactly my thoughts. Can anyone name a character that has had that many lines, whom we've never heard from again? Claire's psychic maybe? Sam Toomey? There certainly aren't many. And how often do we meet anyone's family who doesn't pop up ever again? C'mon now people, are we watching the same show?

And yes, there were plenty of ways to get something else of his dad's. For instance, I'm sure his mother would have had plenty of things of Christian's that she'd give up.
like the watch Christian gave Jack in the mobisode even - that seemed way more obvious and neat tie up of loose ends than a random pair of brogues

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »

I also thought it was weird that Jack would react so strongly to the shoes.  How did he even recognize that they were his dad's?  All those shoes look alike to me.

LOL!  Me, too!  I mean, they were a pair of black wing-tips -- big hairy deal.  There must be a pair in every man's closet if he's over age 50, right? 

I looked on IMDB and Lostpedia to see if the actor playing Ray is credited for any other episodes... (hit "quote" if you want to be spoiled...)he's not, for what that's worth...
You stinker.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »
Sorry!  Well, you didn't have to hit "quote"!   :)  The spoiler-hidey-thingy isn't working I guess, so this seems to be the method currently in fashion...

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what happened to the Spoiler Tags.

Offline I.C.Doan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »
The writers of Lost are admirably economical: they rarely introduce a detail that doesn't serve a purpose later. This scene has all kinds of information in it that isn't necessary to the simple task of introducing the shoes. Why the magician and Ray's comment about the magician? Why the conversation about running away? Why is Ray involuntarily committed?
   Maybe that last point isn't obvious, but it's got to be there. Nursing home residents aren't prisoners; unless they have been found incompetent by a court, and placed under someone else's guardianship.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 07:21:33 PM »

like the watch Christian gave Jack in the mobisode even - that seemed way more obvious and neat tie up of loose ends than a random pair of brogues
When Christian gave Jack the watch he said his own father disapproved of his choice of bride, or something like that.  Maybe we'll find out about Christian's daddy issues.  But I agree that Jack's mother would have been a logical person to go to for something of Christian's.  Maybe Veronica Hamel wasn't available so they invented a granddad for Jack.  BTW, are we only assuming Ray is Jack's paternal grandfather, or is it confirmed?

(If I goofed up the quotes I apologize.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:23:34 PM by Sweet Old Lady »

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 07:27:33 PM »
The writers of Lost are admirably economical: they rarely introduce a detail that doesn't serve a purpose later. This scene has all kinds of information in it that isn't necessary to the simple task of introducing the shoes. Why the magician and Ray's comment about the magician? Why the conversation about running away? Why is Ray involuntarily committed?
   Maybe that last point isn't obvious, but it's got to be there. Nursing home residents aren't prisoners; unless they have been found incompetent by a court, and placed under someone else's guardianship.
The magician had a white rabbit.  Maybe it was just a fun little Easter egg for us?

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 04:30:40 AM »
i was just rewatching old things and rewatched the LOST "missing pieces" and watched "The Watch" episode on that.. and that was written in to introduce grandpa Shepard i think... Christian was given something that was his fathers... mayeb thats what he was given to be reincarnated like locke was and that locke needed something of christians.. think there is a connection???