Author Topic: Did the plane "crash" or time travel and "gently" pop onto the island, or...  (Read 5333 times)

Offline MadWong

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
I think someone said this and I agree.
I think those who were trying to get back were flashed back in time as soon as they passed over the island, to when the left-behinders are. Assuming Frank also flashed back, the plane would have crashed, but in present day.

Offline neoplasm

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
I like Doc Jensen's theory that it landed on the airstrip that Sawyer and Kate were helping to build when they were breaking rocks in the hot sun on Alcatraz. We never did see what that was meant to be, and we haven't seen it since they escaped from Alcatraz.

Me too.  I think that makes perfect sense.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080726173225AA7BDJv

according to that link, a jet runway is over 6000 feet, that's more than a mile long and almost 2 km

I don't think there's anyway they could build a runway even half that length
and all on level ground

this is a huge trans-pacific commercial airliner

I don't see how it could land on the island

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
I don't think the plane crashed ( though I'm at pains to then explain the bottle found from it ).

However it does beg the question... what exactly happened with the original crash?

What if half the people on 815 got teleported down to the island  ( like the O6 this time around ) and the rest ( those who weren't meant to be there in the first place maybe ) just fell to the ground with the plane after it was ripped apart.

Like Cindy, whom was possibly an off-Island undercover Other.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
So if this flight is to "recreate" the conditions of the original flight 815 and the 316ers crashed and landed in 2008 time and the losties time traveled back to the past. 

Is it possible that the flight 815 was a recreation of some earlier one? 

Maybe there were "pre-losties" that were time warped when it crashed and the 815's just considered them missing when they crashed.

Ouch, ouch...ice cream headache........ouch

Walkabout had a theory like this, last June...

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=8066.msg411940;topicseen#msg411940

It's pretty mind-blowing.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
I think someone said this and I agree.
I think those who were trying to get back were flashed back in time as soon as they passed over the island, to when the left-behinders are. Assuming Frank also flashed back, the plane would have crashed, but in present day.

It's just their consciousness that moves in time - their bodies are still on the plane - but catatonic like Minkowski on the boat. There, but not there.

Just hope there's someone on theplane who can fly, who didn't have the Dharma fish biscuits for dinner!

<giggles out loud at herself>

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Even if Frank is "flashed" off the plane, wouldn't there be another pilot to fly the plane afterward? I don't think it would have crashed. There's always more than one pilot on a flight that big.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
You just beat me to it, Mrs. Alpert!  I was going to say the same thing.  I've seen several posts where everyone's assuming that if Frank flashes off the plane, then the plane will be pilot-less.  But that can't be -- there has to be a co-pilot on that size plane.  Even the little commuters usually have a co-pilot, from what I can remember when I used to fly a lot.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
I think the plane crashed in present time (2008) since they found the Ajira waterbottle sometime after they left their beach camp (you know...the time with the wooden boats...)
The plane crashed or tore apart in pieces like 815, creating the possibility for the water bottle to appear in the future jump with the canoes.  Our O6ers then joined their fellow Losties in the next time jump (which may have been simultaneous with the crash/slashdown) or immediately thereafter before they could awake.  After the jump all Losties are in Dharma Days, while any other survivors from 316 are left in the 316 present.  Not sure if Frank "jumps" or stays.

On another note, Frank would have made a smooth "Hudson River" landing.  He's good.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
So, it was a rough landing.  :P