Author Topic: Why didn't Ben want John to visit Mrs. Hawking?  (Read 5944 times)

Offline jib22

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Why didn't Ben want John to visit Mrs. Hawking?
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
What's the deal?! Why does Ben (at the split second John is about to jump and hang himself) come through the door and plead with John, begging him to come to his senses and stop his horrific decision to kill himself, only to turn around and strangle him?
I know when John mentioned Mrs. Hawking, it sent Ben into a "I know something you don't know" moment. So is it the fact that Ben didn't know Locke knew about Mrs. Hawking that convinced him to kill John? Otherwise, why not just let him alone and he would have been dead anyway? Which leads to the question why didn't Ben want John to visit Mrs. Hawking?

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't Ben want John to visit Mrs. Hawking?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »
It's my belief that Ben thought he needed John in order to return to the island himself.  After hearing John say that Eloise Hawking was the key to returning, Ben didn't need John anymore.  He may have been planning on removing John from the equation once they'd returned to the island.

Problem with this belief is that it's too simple.  No layers to it.  So, I'll probably stop believing it sometime before the next episode airs.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »
I think Ben didn't care if Locke died (it would probably be preferable, so he could take over and be the leader again, ah, Ben!), BUT! Ben needed information from Locke before he DID die. Hence, talking Locke down from the ledge...so to speak...just to kill him once he got the info he needed.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:30:33 PM »
I think Ben didn't care if Locke died (it would probably be preferable, so he could take over and be the leader again, ah, Ben!), BUT! Ben needed information from Locke before he DID die. Hence, talking Locke down from the ledge...so to speak...just to kill him once he got the info he needed.

my sentiments exactly.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
We knew that Locke had to die in order to save the island.  Christian said so.  If the Others believe that suicide is a sin, then Locke's death had to be at someone else's hand or by accident.  Or natural causes.  Maybe Ben did the right thing?  I don't really believe that, but this show has so many twists and turns that anything's possible.

Offline kenny

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 02:49:04 PM »
He kills him, then makes sure that they bring him back to be resurrected?  there seems to be some scenes missing that hopefully will be told in episodes to come

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
I am led to believe that Ben didn't even know about Eloise Hawking before John mentioned her.  It would seem Ben is not as well connected as we thought? Or is Eloise on Widmore's side and has access to information that Ben's side does not? Is Ben the only one on Ben's side off the island?

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:15:14 PM »
Oh, I think Ben did know about Eloise.. I just think he didn't know that her current role was to get the O6 back to the island.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »
Widmore knew. He asked John why he left the island.
John doesn't answer. And than Widmore says:
you come to bring them back? The ones who left?
How does he know?

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
Oh, I think Ben did know about Eloise.. I just think he didn't know that her current role was to get the O6 back to the island.

Exactly!  And I think he knew about her because he grew up on the island and she was there at that point.  So when he heard her name in connection with Locke getting back to the island, he knew that she would have the info he needed.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »
Seemed to me that Ben didn't know about her, and then after he killed John after he got the info, and staged the scene, he discovered that he needs all of the O6 to go back, so he reports the suicide and figures this is a good way to get Locke back and be able to control him.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
Ben knew about her and when Locke mentioned her Ben SNAPPPED and killed Locke. Why? Why didn't Ben want Locke to meet her? And we know she is funded by Widmore and she doesn't trust Ben.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »
Seemed to me that Ben didn't know about her, and then after he killed John after he got the info, and staged the scene, he discovered that he needs all of the O6 to go back, so he reports the suicide and figures this is a good way to get Locke back and be able to control him.
You think he believes he can control John again after killing him?  I think he doesn't realize that John has to go back... that he believes he's finally ending the Locke story.  I think he finds out that John has to return as well from Eloise.  He said that he was going to miss John as he leaves the apartment... he was saying goodbye to him.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:47 PM »
So do you think it went like this:
- Ben kills Locke thinking he is now out of the picture for good.
- Ben visits Hawking who tell him that they need to recreate the flight, hence bringing Locke along.
- Ben goes to Locke's funeral and takes his body and puts him in cold storage.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 04:07:18 PM »
I think Ben DID know about Ms. Hawking.  But Ben figured that Locke didn't.  Once Ben found that Locke did in fact know about her and that she was to help him get back to the island, Locke's success became a little to real for Ben.  I think Ben always thought that Locke was on somewhat of a wild goose chase, which is exactly what Ben wanted.  Why?  That is a question that I am sure will be answered in the comming weeks.