Author Topic: John Locke Special???  (Read 10431 times)

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: John Locke Special???
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
Do you have to kill your father, as Ben and Locke (by proxy) did?
Why would a benevolent group have you kill your own father as a requisite for leading them?

Exactly! They're not exactly the Amish!!!  :D

I do have a theory that Anthony Cooper being killed on the Island was at a point in time in the outside world (between him stealing one of Locke's kidneys and throwing Locke through the window) so the incident which paralysed Locke never occurred, allowing him to walk again.

Incidentally, I still don't believe that Anthony Cooper was Locke's biological father either.

But he told Sawyer he threw Locke out the window in The Brigg...in his mind, it had already happened.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
I do have a theory that Anthony Cooper being killed on the Island was at a point in time in the outside world (between him stealing one of Locke's kidneys and throwing Locke through the window) so the incident which paralysed Locke never occurred, allowing him to walk again.

But he told Sawyer he threw Locke out the window in The Brigg...in his mind, it had already happened.

It all depends on whether you believe in Ms. Hawking's explanation of "Course Correction" or not. I'm in the camp which sees her as a big fat liar!

http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2009/02/never-mind-the-paradox-by-mang.php

:)

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »
Interesting theories, Mrs. Shepard! 
I'm not convinced about Locke's parentage, either.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
What's the purpose of not believing Mrs. Hawking?

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 02:22:52 PM »
Eloise always seems llike a priestess to me. Or sort of like a nun.  Anyway, some sort of wise woman.  Her taking care of a place in a church reinforces that image for me.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
Sure.  I mean, there she stands in the lamppost - her theory works and helps our heroes return to the island.  What's the problem with her?

Anyway, what is your suspicion about Locke's parentage? 

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »
What's the purpose of not believing Mrs. Hawking?

Well, believing her didn't do Desmond any good!

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
Really?  His four years seem like a bust, but he very likely saved everyone by turning the failsafe key, and he gained the ability to see the future. I suppose Peter Parker would have liked to not be bitten by that derned spider, but it made him what he is.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
Really?  His four years seem like a bust, but he very likely saved everyone by turning the failsafe key, and he gained the ability to see the future. I suppose Peter Parker would have liked to not be bitten by that derned spider, but it made him what he is.

But is he happy? I think not.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
He must be pretty special. Why else would someone erect a giant statue of him with his 4 toes showing?!!  Notice how whenever they showed Lockes casted leg they always lingered on the 4 toes sticking out?

And I thought the four-toed statue was in honor of Michael from "Prison Break" (post-season 1, of course, considering he presumably had five toes going into jail!)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »

But is he happy? I think not.

It's got to be more than that.  It's more about the purpose of his life.  I really don't think Eloise led him astray.  It wasn't time for him and Penny yet.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »
I have expanded my thoughts in this front page article.

http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2009/02/whats-so-special-about-john-lo.php

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »
My assumption has always been that Locke's innate connection and understanding of, and faith in, the island is what makes him "special". Leadership skills do NOT make you special. Half the people on this site probably have good leadership skills lol.

We as an audience have been told Locke is special by having various characters tell Locke himself that he is special, starting with his mother all the way up to Widmore. Locke's "specialness" (is that a word?) seems connected to his destiny, whatever it is he was meant to do, whoever it is he was meant to be, and wherever it is he was meant to be. He may have just the right psyche to allow himself to embrace the mysterious aspects of the island and take his place on it in order to keep things running smoothly. As good of a leader as Jack might present himself to be, he would make all kinds of wrong decisions in connection to the island based on his stubborn desire to be a "man of science" and his complete lack of faith in the realities of the island. He's already made a bunch of wrong decisions as they pertain to the island. That, apparently, is not what is going to be needed in order to...save the world, maybe? Something tells me more is at stake than merely who gets to claim "ownership" of the island.

Which might speak to something in and of itself: that the island chose Locke as its savior, and that both Ben and Widmore realize this now. As others mentioned, both men seem intent on using and manipulating Locke for their own goals. They may see it as if they can manipulate Locke, they manipulate the island and can gain ultimate control over it and all the worldly power that must definitely go with it. It was alluded to that Ben might be manipulating Jacob, or rather manipulating his ability to find, see and speak to Jacob. Why wouldn't he do the same with Locke? I don't doubt that Widmore would (or could) be similar in nature. But if both Widmore and Ben see Locke merely as a weak, manipulative guy, they severely underestimate the power that the island has...and probably the power that Locke ultimately has as well. Ben might be about to find that out, though, if the ending of the last episode is any indication lol.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »
I would feel better about Locke if he was consistent with his faith in the island. He loses his faith or is talk out of it so easily.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 05:46:37 PM »
I would feel better about Locke if he was consistent with his faith in the island. He loses his faith or is talk out of it so easily.

True...that makes him irritating to me at times. Special, but irritating lol.