Author Topic: John Locke Special???  (Read 11410 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
John Locke Special???
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »
I have been thinking about what bothered me about this episode and I think I figured it out, and his name is John Locke.

Locke has been called special by both Ben and Widmore. So I am assuming they know something about the future and Lockes role in the island. They both are using Locke to get back control of the island. That part is fine.

What I am having trouble with is the idea that Locke is special. What has he done that is special so far?? His attempts at getting the Oceanic 6 back to the island was pathetic.
Locke "You must come back"
Any O6er "no"
Locke "ok"

I may be stretching it a bit, but he barely put up a fight. Then he breaks down again and wants to kill himself. Locke losses faith in himself more often than Jack does. He is wishy washy, indecisive, lacks commitment and has shown no leadership.

So what is special about Locke?? What does he bring to the table??

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: John Locke Special???
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »
rad facial scars

Offline Jas0n

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »
I have been thinking about what bothered me about this episode and I think I figured it out, and his name is John Locke.

Locke has been called special by both Ben and Widmore. So I am assuming they know something about the future and Lockes role in the island. They both are using Locke to get back control of the island. That part is fine.

What I am having trouble with is the idea that Locke is special. What has he done that is special so far?? His attempts at getting the Oceanic 6 back to the island was pathetic.
Locke "You must come back"
Any O6er "no"
Locke "ok"

I may be stretching it a bit, but he barely put up a fight. Then he breaks down again and wants to kill himself. Locke losses faith in himself more often than Jack does. He is wishy washy, indecisive, lacks commitment and has shown no leadership.

I am right there with you... He BARELY asked them to come back... I mean come on dude! you have WIDMORES MONEY, knock them out, drug them up one by one if you have to, whatever it takes... MAKE them believe! even if you have to find a "room 23" off the island and brainwash these non believers, DO IT! WHATEVER IT TAKES...  I hated seeing this watered down, depressed, lowlife version of John Locke, it was actually worse than seeing locke getting bitch slapped by mr. ekos jesus stick and crying in the jungle. Locke needs to go kill a boar or throw some knives and grow his balls back! whats going on here. forgive my hostile tone. I might just be overreacting...

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »
He was kind of a pathetic loser, wasn't he?

Haven't you noticed that he's like that off-island though?  It's as though the island gives him a completely different personality.  Maybe that is why he is special.  He possesses something in his personality that makes him the perfect candidate to respond strongly to the island's mysteries.

It sounded good in my head, but I'm not very good at conveying my thoughts today!

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:16 PM »
lovinlost, I think you're right on.  Sounded like a clear thought to me.

Offline Luna C

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »

I was bothered by the same thing. I'm starting to wonder if John's "special" role is just to be a pawn. It's been his whole life so far: used and abused by everyone starting with his own parents.

If part of Desmond's destiny was to push a button for three years, maybe John's destiny is to be a tool that "greater" men use.

I hope I'm wrong though. I love Locke.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »

I was bothered by the same thing. I'm starting to wonder if John's "special" role is just to be a pawn. It's been his whole life so far: used and abused by everyone starting with his own parents.

If part of Desmond's destiny was to push a button for three years, maybe John's destiny is to be a tool that "greater" men use.

I am starting to believe this also, he is there to be used.

I am also agreeing with Jason a lot today.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »
Oh the curious life of John Locke. I agree that if there was anything bothersome about this episode it was the fact that Locke was bouncing back and forth between Ben and Widmore's manipulation. If he is special, he surely has a hard time believing it.

And like Abbadon, I found his attempts at trying to get everyone back on the island weak and futile. What confused me most was his conversation with Walt. He never even mentioned going back to him and yet Walt wasn't surprised to see him.

If Locke is special, we need to find out why. My theory is, if there is a war coming, then the side that Locke picks will affect the outcome tremendously. (Has anyone ever watched the Russian movie Nightwatch? It's kinda the same idea, which ever side the "special one" chooses will alter the balance between good and evil... so the side that Locke picks could have the advantage. Just some silly thought/theory...)

That or whoever controls the smoke monster. =)

Offline The Boy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »

I am also agreeing with Jason a lot today.

I agree he is just a pawn.  His "special" attribute is that he will be sacraficed for the betterment of one of the 2 seeking power, Ben and Widmore.  

Crap, maybe Ben and Widmore are in this together and in the last scene they will be on the beach sippin' Margaritas saying:

"Damn!  We're Good!  This island is ALL ours!"

Offline Luna C

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »

So....Juggy agrees with ME! Yay!   ;)

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:36:27 PM »
Remember when Locke says that he had to go through all that pain in order to be where he is now? I didn't see his actions as wishy-washy, I think he understands that everyone has to come back to the island of their own will...so, not drugging them or anything...that they have to go through their own pain to get to where they have to be. Plus, he hates being in a wheelchair. So on top of being responsible for getting everyone back to the island, he keeps thinking about the damn wheelchair, plus Abaddon is creeping him out...Widmore says Don't trust Ben! Ben says Don't trust Widmore!...

And then Ben talks him out of killing himself, and he didn't want to die in the first place so of course he'll believe Ben. Ben came in at the last moment like a savior...Locke had been thinking the whole time about what Richard and Christian said about him dying, I think that's another reason why he didn't try harder with the O6. Richard said the only way to convince them to come back was to die.

But I DO think the answer to John's specialness ("Because you are") was lame. I'll believe he's special, but I need something a little more specific if we're going to talk about why that is.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »
I just wish that Richard would have weighed in on the whole who to trust, Ben or Widmore thing before he flashed the first time.

then again, Richard seemed to be against Ben in season 3 and Christian seemed against Ben 2 episodes ago, so maybe they did.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
But I DO think the answer to John's specialness ("Because you are") was lame. I'll believe he's special, but I need something a little more specific if we're going to talk about why that is.

Agreed. That's what I'm talking about! It's been a theme since the pilot episode. And I obviously can't take Ben or Widmore's word for it. Even Richard has some idea. I know, I'm such a doubting Tom.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
He can communicate with the island.  He was immaculately conceived.  He was healed.  He has been raised from the dead.  That's special enough for me.

Offline Luna C

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
He can communicate with the island.  He was immaculately conceived.  He was healed.  He has been raised from the dead.  That's special enough for me.

Boy, when you put it that way....

But bottom line: When he tries to accomplish something, it doesn't generally pan out. He may be special, but I'm not sure he's really a leader. Good leaders get results.