Author Topic: Widmore seems rather convincing...  (Read 10946 times)

Offline Kenny Rogers

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Widmore seems rather convincing...
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »
When Widmore and Locke are talking, after Widmore says "I never tried to kill you, John"  Locke says "You sent a team of killers and a boatload of C4 to the island."  Widmores reply, "I needed Linus removed, so it could be your time of the island."  Sounds nice, but Keamy's mission was to extract Ben, and evidently kill everyone else on the island.  Locke would have been colateral damage.  And when Keamy failed to get Ben, the secondary protocol was to torch the island and everyone on it.  Widmore is lying.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
That is very fair, and I think this whole relatable Widmore thing is nothing but a red harring, maybe we shouldn't be rooting for either, and that our Losties are their to finally change this never ending cycle of what both of them were doing to the island.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »
That is very fair, and I think this whole relatable Widmore thing is nothing but a red harring, maybe we shouldn't be rooting for either, and that our Losties are their to finally change this never ending cycle of what both of them were doing to the island.

You get a high five from me for that.  NO ONE gets the island.  It just is.  Worship it, love it, let it work on you, but don't try to own it.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 04:28:55 AM »

You get a high five from me for that.  NO ONE gets the island.  It just is.  Worship it, love it, let it work on you, but don't try to own it.
ya.. Mybe in the end... maybe the island just ... is. poetic, but id be thirsty for more closure.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 03:01:51 AM »
By the way, wasn't Michael unable to kill himself because "The island isn't through with you yet"? (or something along those lines). Apparently the island needed Michael to blow up Widmore's freighter. It would seem the island is working against Widmore, which would seem to point to Widmore being bad for the island.

If I trust any character on Lost, I trust the island lol.

I'm liking your posts on this thread whatThe.
I'm glad to find some people on here that feels like Widmore isn't 100 %
I guess why I like Ben more than widmore is that maybe they are both bad, but he is our bad guy. Widmore is the other bad guy we don't like. I mean, I think we are invested way more in Ben then widmore. We know a whole heck of a lot more about Ben than Widmore. (tptb did that for a reason too I'm sure.  no?) :-\

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
When Widmore and Locke are talking, after Widmore says "I never tried to kill you, John"  Locke says "You sent a team of killers and a boatload of C4 to the island."  Widmores reply, "I needed Linus removed, so it could be your time of the island."  Sounds nice, but Keamy's mission was to extract Ben, and evidently kill everyone else on the island.  Locke would have been colateral damage.  And when Keamy failed to get Ben, the secondary protocol was to torch the island and everyone on it.  Widmore is lying.

I hadn't even thought of this, but it backs up my theory about him being too nice.

Offline mrose4243

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
Thank you, Mrs. Hume - well said:  Ben is OUR bad guy, not Widmore!  Cuddly, evil Ben - we're keeping him!

I don't know why John just accepted Widmore's excuse without bringing up the fact that the mercenaries were going to 'kill every one on the island' - but that's Lost for ya - no one ever asks anything!

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:06 PM »
John and Charles....equally evil?  I think so.  But Ben is more OUR KIND of evil... :)

I agree, evil/cuddly Ben.

Shun Widmore.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 03:42:40 AM »
John and Charles....equally evil?  I think so.  But Ben is more OUR KIND of evil... :)

Shun Widmore.

ill have to agree that ben is a kickass kinda evil... but why shun Widmore... when we all hasve only heard about him from heresay and what ppl tell us about him... ya we saw him try to persuade des from penny... bt what father doesnt look after his daughters best interest... then you see ben n widmore... he was broken in on... still kinda innocent... then you see him with sun.. trying to keep a good public face... trying to be civil... then the lockdown between sun and him... still professional... all the bad evil kiniving things you "know" about widmore is all that ben has said about him... and we all know how honest ben is... ha! so im holding off my shun to widmore... he may just be the savior.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 04:17:15 AM »

Shun Widmore.

ill have to agree that ben is a kickass kinda evil... but why shun Widmore... when we all hasve only heard about him from heresay and what ppl tell us about him... ya we saw him try to persuade des from penny... bt what father doesnt look after his daughters best interest... then you see ben n widmore... he was broken in on... still kinda innocent... then you see him with sun.. trying to keep a good public face... trying to be civil... then the lockdown between sun and him... still professional... all the bad evil kiniving things you "know" about widmore is all that ben has said about him... and we all know how honest ben is... ha! so im holding off my shun to widmore... he may just be the savior.

I'm still holding fast to my shun widmore mindset---call it...woman's intuition. ;)

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 04:24:56 AM »

Shun Widmore.

I'm still holding fast to my shun widmore mindset---call it...woman's intuition. ;)

ok ok i have no reply to that... you women and youre excuses to be right .. lol... could be .. im not shunning ur thoughts... we're all free to theorize together...

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 04:31:53 AM »

Shun Widmore.

You're one of my favorite posters. :)
ok ok i have no reply to that... you women and youre excuses to be right .. lol... could be .. im not shunning ur thoughts... we're all free to theorize together...

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 10:59:52 AM »

Shun Widmore.

Call it my "TV is still a little predictable" intuition, but I agree. Widmore is deffinitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. Although, I think he took the skin of a sheep from the movie Black Sheep...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

Worth every minute.

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 09:51:55 AM »
Hi everyone, very, very long time lurker from the UK here, who finally decided to register so I could chat to you guys about your great theories and observations!

I was rewatching some season 4 episodes recently and while watching The Other Woman one thing that bothered me was that Ben gave Locke his file on Widmore and (from Lostpedia) "He explains that it contains all the information he has gathered about Widmore, adding that the information is a combination of vague guesswork and concrete facts.". - NOW surely there would be a current photograph in there?  If Charles is now this big businessman it shouldn't be too hard to get a photo of him for the file should it?  SO how come Locke doesn't recognise him?  Or maybe he does and he just wants to play along?  I find it hard to believe that Locke would be swayed so easily with the "I haven't tried to kill you" line, especially after reading what must be a pretty damning file which after all was the reason he released Ben and believed that the freighter people were sent to kill them all!

I think that I agree with those of you who say both Ben and Widmore are evil and the island and/or Jacob want Locke and the other Losties to be the saviours of the island, but I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB pull a massive jaw dropping moment on us and one of them turns out to be a good guy!  I love Ben's character and Michael Emerson plays him brilliantly, you're right he is our bad guy!  I just can't see how he can turn out to be good when he orchestrated The Purge?!

I hope we find out more about Widmore and his time on the island soon!

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
Hi Zinzi! And welcome....

I'd totally forgotten about John seeing Widmore before...but if there wasn't a picture in the file, he definitely saw him on the tape that Ben showed him. When Widmore has a guy beaten up (stupid Ben taped over the Red Sox 2004 World Series win? That man is truly evil.  ;)). You're right, I'd have thought that John would have recognized him, but maybe he was groggy from the whole time/space jumping + busted leg thing. Very strange.