Author Topic: The timing of this episode seems way off  (Read 8162 times)

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The timing of this episode seems way off
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »
Here is the sequence we see in this epi:

Jack meets Locke at the hospital - buys a ticket to Sydney for that weekend.
Ben meets Locke - tells him about Jack going to Sydney - and then kills him.

In "Through the Looking Glass", we see Jack aboard a flight when he sees that Locke has died.  Here is his conversation with Kate at the end of S3:

JACK: I've been flying a lot.

KATE: What?

JACK: Yeah that golden pass that they gave us. I, I've been using it. Every Friday night I, I fly from LA to Tokyo or, Singapore, Sydney. [Laughs] And then I, I get off and I, have a drink, and then I fly home.

According to the timing of this epi, he only would have time for one flight.  Plus we see Jack all drugged up, drunk with maps everywhere trying to figure out how to crash on the island.  He has lost his job at the hospital.  Is this making sense to anyone else?

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: The timing of this episode seems way off
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:36:19 AM »
I commented on this in another thread.  There seems to have been a lot of time that should have passed between Locke seeing Jack in the hospital and John dying.  Not only does Jack fly a lot, but he has time to become a pill popper AND lose his job at the hospital.  It just doesn't add up to me.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:51 AM »
I commented on this in another thread.  There seems to have been a lot of time that should have passed between Locke seeing Jack in the hospital and John dying.  Not only does Jack fly a lot, but he has time to become a pill popper AND lose his job at the hospital.  It just doesn't add up to me.

And the time to grow that crazy beard ;)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:39:52 AM »
What we do not know is how much time passed from when Jack saw locke in the hospital. That could of been a month or more from when we then see John trying to hang himself. Jack could of been flying for awhile. Ben might not of been talking about jack's first flight ever.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:37 AM »
I agree, the timing felt all off. Really off. and it all felt so rushed. I would have thought there was a lot more to Johns visit than that. that was so  .... ??  generic.  :-\

Yes, that is true jug. I feel a little better with that explanation!
 but they really did make it seem as though it was right after he failed to convince everyone.  :-\  why? why not just make that a little clearer somehow. It's confusing enough right!? ::)  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:44:45 AM by Mrs Hume »

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:57:25 AM »
I think we can assume that sometime has passed because Locke is not all cut up from the car crash when he tries to hang himself.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:01:07 AM »
True, and jack's beard had grown from the ep with Kate.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »
I just went back and watched that scene.  Locke has the same cuts on his face from the crash as he does in the hospital (actually he looks a little worse to me).  I didn't hear anything in the dialogue that gives away the timing, other than Ben says "Jack bought a ticket for Sydney tonight". 

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 01:10:37 AM »
was it me or did this episode ruin the momentum we had going? ugh. More questions less answers for me.  >:(

Offline CrashandCari

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 08:05:18 AM »
i agree.  the timing really gave me a headache.  i think we have to believe ben was misleading (shock huh) to locke when he said that about jack buying the plane ticket because as was previously said we know jack flew tons of times back and forth and had time to grow the beard, lose his job etc.

so that made me think ok ben came to locke months after locke saw jack in the hospital.  but locke still had the cuts and bruises on his face from the car accident.  (1st headache lol)

then i wondered about jack and kate's relationship and at what point locke visited them in that timeline.  were they together then or not?  i guess whats throwing me is jack's beard and that he didn't have one in this episode.  jack's downward spiral that finally led him to the funeral home doesn't mesh with locke dying right after locke being in the hospital.  i know i'm backtracking but thats whats giving me this headache lol

THEN you have locke in the coffin ... WITHOUT cuts and bruises.  i know you can say the funeral home cleaned him up but he would still have cuts on his face.  they dont heal when you are dead

which totally had my head spinning cuz i even considered this... when ben killed locke and when ben staged the hanging were two different times.  maybe ben had locke on ice at that butcher shop?  this would give the timeline we know with jack spiraling out of control time to take place.

i don't know i'm really confused and need coffee.. i hoped writing it out may make some sense but nope lol

maybe someone will read this and something will hit them

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:44:14 AM »
Well, the producers might be kicking themselves right now.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
How long ago did John talk to Jack?
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 09:12:53 AM »
When we see Jack in the hospital talking to Locke, his beard is short and clean. I assume by the scratches on Locke's face in the room where he dies are from the car crash. When Jack returns from his flight and reads the paper of Bentham's suicide he has a long and scraggly beard.

My question is WTF?

Offline lostieloo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »
Gave me a headache too.  I kept trying to think of scenarios where the proper time would pass to give Jack the beard etc.  Before Ben strangled him, I thought Locke was going to do more stuff so that that time could pass, and it totally made me jump when he killed him.  So there went that theory!  There's some 'splaining that needs to be done!

Offline LOSTRULES

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 11:49:51 AM »
I hate to say it but I was not really that impressed with this episode at all. I really expected much more than we got.  >:(

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »
Jack could of been flying for awhile. Ben might not of been talking about jack's first flight ever.

Or Ben is just full of crap and trying to convince John that he had convinced Jack.