Author Topic: Did you notice? Previously on LOST...  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Did you notice? Previously on LOST...
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:01:03 AM »
I hope this is the right board for this, since what I want to discuss aired tonight.

In the encore episode of The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham, they edited a bit out at the beginning?

We Cesar in Ben's Hydra Station office, and he finds the shotgun, and puts it in his pack. Now, when it first aired Ilana came in and asked him if he found anything, and he said nothing. Then she asked him what he put in his bag, and he told her the flashlight, and tossed it to her. But tonight in the re-air they cut from her asking if he found anything, to her holding the flashlight and telling Cesar about Locke.

I've never noticed a strange editing out of something like that before. Has it happened, and I haven't noticed? Or is it somehow significant, like the shotguns being CGI'd to walkie talkies in ET?

Also, in the re-air tonight, there was no LOST title card with the trombones at the beginning. It just went to a regular commercial break without the title card.

Thoughts?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Did you notice? Previously on LOST...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:08:10 AM »
The episodes have recently been going over an hour...ending at 10:02 or 10:03, thereabouts (if it begins at 9pm). So they have to cut out 2-3 minutes worth of stuff each week when they replay the previous episode before the new one. I'm thinking that might be the reason.  :-\ (shrugging)

I missed the encore episode, so I don't know about the title & theme being cut out...

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:17:08 AM »
The episodes have recently been going over an hour...ending at 10:02 or 10:03, thereabouts (if it begins at 9pm). So they have to cut out 2-3 minutes worth of stuff each week when they replay the previous episode before the new one. I'm thinking that might be the reason.  :-\ (shrugging)

I missed the encore episode, so I don't know about the title & theme being cut out...

Ahh. This makes sense. I just had never noticed it before, and didn't notice anything else that had been cut, so it seemed strange.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:20:51 AM »
Well, I saw maybe the last 15 minutes or so, and I noticed that Locke was being killed a lot earlier than he was last week (because we had that thread last week about what time he would die, so I took notice). Actually, the whole "editing-for-time" idea was the last thing my brain did before it was plunged into this week's episode and promptly died, so...it was strange.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 03:25:36 AM »
No but I did notice at the beginning of this episode, it was edited a lot different than when it happened a few episodes ago where Locke falls down the well and sees Christian.  Tonight, there was no Christian and it was just Locke saying "is anybody down here?" and then he sees the wheel and turns it.

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:38:24 AM »
No but I did notice at the beginning of this episode, it was edited a lot different than when it happened a few episodes ago where Locke falls down the well and sees Christian.  Tonight, there was no Christian and it was just Locke saying "is anybody down here?" and then he sees the wheel and turns it.

In this specific spot, I also noticed there was a very fast flash of light, then a few frames of something else, then back to the light. I think it was when John was turning the Donkey Wheel. It could have just been some jumpcut editing, but it kind of seemed like a Fight Club type edit, where they stick something in where you barely see it. As TPTB have been wont to do.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »
 I did notice the lack of Christian in Locke's donkey wheel scene, and wondered like omg is Christian in his head? Then I just shook it off as it being like the end of 316. Cutting out parts to shorten a scene we already saw and don't need to see in full again. If he really is just in Locke's head I would hope that tptb would have made that scene a little longer to emphasise that just a little more. 

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »
I did notice the lack of Christian in Locke's donkey wheel scene, and wondered like omg is Christian in his head? Then I just shook it off as it being like the end of 316. Cutting out parts to shorten a scene we already saw and don't need to see in full again. If he really is just in Locke's head I would hope that tptb would have made that scene a little longer to emphasise that just a little more. 

LOL! I thought the same thing for a split second, then I thought, Oh jeez, people are going to be talking about how that scene was cut, and so it must mean somebody did something different to make Christian not appear to Locke... ::)

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 06:11:40 PM »
I don't like that they cut the repeat.  What if you missed it the first time and want to see it?  Yes, I know you can see it online, but , till now, I would have assumed that the episode would be reshown in its entiretly!