Author Topic: The island isn't done with Desmond?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
The island isn't done with Desmond?
« on: February 23, 2009, 12:04:22 PM »
Any thoughts on Desmond's remaining role?  Mrs. Hawking didn't appear to need him to return to the island immediately so he isn't needed quite yet.

We know he's special and that the rules of time travel somehow don't apply to him.

We know that he's Daniel's constant.

Is it possible that he needs to return to the island during Dharma Days to anchor Daniel again?  It seems to me that being one's constant is based on having contact with that person during each period of time.  With the folks back in a time prior to Desmond's first contact (back when he was in the military and visited Daniel at the university), does Desmond need to go back to that period of time, too?  Is something going to happen that will require Daniel to have a constant?

Is there something else about Desmond that has the island requiring his services again?

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: The island isn't done with Desmond?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
There may be some merit in this question.  By all appearances, Jack and company have met up with Jin in Dharma Days.  So assuming all Losties are together (as they have been in their time jumping tour of Craphole Island) then Daniel is also in Dharma Days.

But the first question is - Does their return signal the end of time jumping, or do they need to perform some "act" to make this happen?

Whatver the answer to question #1, let's say they complete their task and time stops with them all in Dharma Days, then what brings them back to the present...... our missing member, Daniel's one and only constant..... (wait for it).........DESMOND!!

How?  Why?  When?  Where?  All good questions.  Stay tuned......

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »
Any thoughts on Desmond's remaining role?  Mrs. Hawking didn't appear to need him to return to the island immediately so he isn't needed quite yet.

We know he's special and that the rules of time travel somehow don't apply to him.

We know that he's Daniel's constant.

Is it possible that he needs to return to the island during Dharma Days to anchor Daniel again?  It seems to me that being one's constant is based on having contact with that person during each period of time.  With the folks back in a time prior to Desmond's first contact (back when he was in the military and visited Daniel at the university), does Desmond need to go back to that period of time, too?  Is something going to happen that will require Daniel to have a constant?

Is there something else about Desmond that has the island requiring his services again?

The constant was used to anchor the person's mind when only their consciousness was jumping through time. In Daniel's case, his entire being (mind and body) traveled through time. His mind isn't being separated from his body in two different times. I don't think he needs a constant to anchor his mind; his mind is already anchored with his body (it just happens to be in the past).

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
The constant was used to anchor the person's mind when only their consciousness was jumping through time. In Daniel's case, his entire being (mind and body) traveled through time. His mind isn't being separated from his body in two different times. I don't think he needs a constant to anchor his mind; his mind is already anchored with his body (it just happens to be in the past).
I agree that's what happened recently.  But, he made a note in his book that Desmond would be his constant if anything happened.  It just hasn't happened yet.  He has yet to use Desmond in this capacity and I'm thinking it's gonna happen at some point.  I'm suggesting that if his consciousness were to travel while his body is in Dharma Days, Desmond's presence may be required in that time period for him to survive.

The reason I'm suggesting something like this is that we aren't aware of many things that would constitute a purpose for Desmond.

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »
Always a possibility. This is LOST :D

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
In Daniel's case, his entire being (mind and body) traveled through time. His mind isn't being separated from his body in two different times. I don't think he needs a constant to anchor his mind; his mind is already anchored with his body (it just happens to be in the past).

but no... hang on - des was reacting with people when he jumped back and forth - so it's no just his mind that flips but a copy of his body too. It's just while the mind's away the original body is comatose and empty. Same with Minkowski, and same I reckon with teh bodies of our losties on 316. They'll just be empty shells

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:05:48 AM »
but no... hang on - des was reacting with people when he jumped back and forth - so it's no just his mind that flips but a copy of his body too. It's just while the mind's away the original body is comatose and empty. Same with Minkowski, and same I reckon with teh bodies of our losties on 316. They'll just be empty shells
It's not a copy of his body... his consciousness travelled to his body at different points in time.  In each instance of time, his body is the original body.. just at a different time.  Des' consciousness was able to move to different stages of his life while leaving present day Desmond's body waiting.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »
But if this were the proposed solution it would mean having Des (present) have his mind travel back to the body of Des (circa Dharma Days).  Was he even born then or just a little kid?  No.  This can't be what's going to happen.  It would have to be a complete mind and body time travel like the other Losties.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
But if this were the proposed solution it would mean having Des (present) have his mind travel back to the body of Des (circa Dharma Days).  Was he even born then or just a little kid?  No.  This can't be what's going to happen.  It would have to be a complete mind and body time travel like the other Losties.
If the Losties ended up in Dharma Days by flying over the island during the window, and if the time travel has stopped due to Locke fixing the wheel (I know it's still an IF so far), then I believe that Desmond will be in that time period as well should he get back to the island.

Offline Souldrinker

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »
Well , the numbers predate the end of the human race and dharma was supposed to change them...but since what happened , happened their must be someone arround to whom the rules don't apply to change them and save the world...