Author Topic: Bentham "survived by a teenage son"?????  (Read 2649 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Bentham "survived by a teenage son"?????
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:00:45 AM »
ok i coudl be wrong but in the decypher of Bentham's obituary it meantioned how he was "survived by a teenage son."  am i wrong or can anyone help me unwrap this around my brain...... please???

Offline The Boy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bentham "survived by a teenage son"?????
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:54:03 PM »
ok i coudl be wrong but in the decypher of Bentham's obituary it meantioned how he was "survived by a teenage son."  am i wrong or can anyone help me unwrap this around my brain...... please???

A friend of mine told me that exact same thing...I called him crazy because nobody on HERE had mentioned it yet....untill you did.   

anyone have any info on this?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »
The only teenager we know of at this point may be Walt...and I don't think the article is referring to him.

I had an idea that maybe Locke got Helen pregnant, but I think the timing is off on that one. If Locke was crippled in 2000, that means he would have had to get her pregnant before then, and for his son to be a teenager, it'd have to have been around...1994? 1995? I think maybe this belongs in the crackpot theory thread...  ;)

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »
At this point the clipping is not considered to be "canon", meaning it may just be something put together by the prop department to have Jack hold, not written with specificity to the plotline. I wouldn't work to hard to decipher it until it's released "officially". After the attention this has gotten I wouldn't be surprised if they try to work as much into the story as they can, but at the time they said it wasn't meant to be read by anyone.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:37:20 PM »
Couldn't the whole obituary be "faked" by Ben et al?

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
The newspaper clipping that Jack finds on the plane that leads him to the funeral does not say anything about "Survived by a teenage son".

Below is the detail of what is says : per-- http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Newspaper_clipping
>>>
Los Angeles
Man found dead in
downtown loft

"The body of Je ~*~ entham of
New York was discovered shortly after 4
a.m. in the ~*~ of Grand
Avenue. Ted [lastname], [a door]man at The
Tower ~*~ heard loud
noises ~*~ entham's loft.
~*~ [sa]fety, he co[nfessed]
~*~ discovered the
~*~ entered the loft a beam
in the ~*~ mom ~*~ [ac]cordin[g]
>>

Does the info he is survived by a teenage son come from someplace else?

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
I remember hearing this  at the time this episode aired too. and it ALWAYS bothered me. the answer that it wasn't meant for us to read doesn't sit right with me because usually, tptb never throw things in there that don't have any meaning. I'm sure it's expected to be picked apart by us.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »
At this point the clipping is not considered to be "canon", meaning it may just be something put together by the prop department to have Jack hold, not written with specificity to the plotline. I wouldn't work to hard to decipher it until it's released "officially". After the attention this has gotten I wouldn't be surprised if they try to work as much into the story as they can, but at the time they said it wasn't meant to be read by anyone.

This HAS TO BE true... that the "obituary" was just thrown together because they didnt think anyone wolud be able to get the whole thing... cuz if you remember in the obituary that NEVER LEFT JACKS SIDE, and he was reading it all the time would have noticed that it said Jeremy Bentham found hanged in his NY apt loft. but in "316" he didnt know he had comitted suicide. BIG MISTAKE TPTB. as good as writers and creaters as you are... your fans are more thorough lol....

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
The newspaper clipping that Jack finds on the plane that leads him to the funeral does not say anything about "Survived by a teenage son".

Below is the detail of what is says : per-- http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Newspaper_clipping
>>>
Los Angeles
Man found dead in
downtown loft

"The body of Je ~*~ entham of
New York was discovered shortly after 4
a.m. in the ~*~ of Grand
Avenue. Ted [lastname], [a door]man at The
Tower ~*~ heard loud
noises ~*~ entham's loft.
~*~ [sa]fety, he co[nfessed]
~*~ discovered the
~*~ entered the loft a beam
in the ~*~ mom ~*~ [ac]cordin[g]
>>

Does the info he is survived by a teenage son come from someplace else?

has to be ... i could have sworn that someone on here on sledgeweb deciphered the whole obit.... and it said survived by a teenage son. or i coudl be wrong... i am only human.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »

This HAS TO BE true... that the "obituary" was just thrown together because they didnt think anyone wolud be able to get the whole thing... cuz if you remember in the obituary that NEVER LEFT JACKS SIDE, and he was reading it all the time would have noticed that it said Jeremy Bentham found hanged in his NY apt loft. but in "316" he didnt know he had comitted suicide. BIG MISTAKE TPTB. as good as writers and creaters as you are... your fans are more thorough lol....

but so far, all that is true. his name is Jeremy bentham and he was in a NY apt and he did commit suicide. so what about that was thrown together? why would it be so impossible for the rest to be true?

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »
you're not crazy because that was why a lot of speculation back in season 3/4 was that the person in the coffin was Michael, because he was the only one on the show that had a teenage son. I'm trying to find references to it right now.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »
I think that the show had enough CRAZY fans like us at the time that tptb knew we would screen-cap it, decipher it, and pour over it endlessly. Jack isn't exactly quick-on-the-draw when it comes to putting 2 and 2 together. It's possible he was so distraught over the fact that Bentham was actually dead that he didn't put too much thought into the whole "hanged" thing. And I think by the end of season 3 tptb knew where it was all going. I'm going to take a leap of faith and believe that everything will fit together. I don't think it was a prop error.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »
then again, tptb did say that they didn't know who was going to be in the coffin until the last minute. So maybe they put in survived by a teenage son because they were leaning towards Michael being the one in the coffin.  ???

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 02:40:01 PM »
I've found out that there was a supposedly "leaked" copy of the obit posted on the Fuselage that had supposedly come from an inside source there. It was that one that mentioned a teenage son. (And called the deceased John Latham) It has been pretty much discounted and that's why you don't see it listed in the articles about the clipping.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:48:31 PM by CastawayCayley »

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:55:04 PM »
I've found out that there was a supposedly "leaked" copy of the obit posted on the Fuselage that had supposedly come from an inside source there. It was that one that mentioned a teenage son. (And called the deceased John Latham) It has been pretty much discounted and that's why you don't see it listed in the articles about the clipping.

Thanks CC for fact-checking (as always!  ;D btw I love your recaps. You should write the "Lost Untangled" things, you'd make them so much better...).

That being the case, I'm glad tptb have been true to what we've deciphered from the article so far. Hopefully tonight we'll see if the rest of the story fits with it.