Author Topic: So what do you think they were packing?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
So what do you think they were packing?
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
I found it strange that they didn't show what each of the characters put in their luggage. I mean, when you know you're going to crash on that island again, and maybe never come back, you would really consider what you would bring along. It's the classical questions of three items of choice, and it would have played nicely into the plot. But noone seems to care about that. I know I would bring some really confortable clothes, a whole lot of books to read and maybe a musical instrument to play when I'm bored. We only know of Hurley's guitar case (many people joked about it containing food).
Since they were transported through time, they probably lost all their luggage (except for that guitar case), but they couldn't have known that. I think this episode was rushed. They wanted to cover a lot of stories and it ended up being a little superficial.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: So what do you think they were packing?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
i dont think its too late to rule out what they packed.. don't you think it feasible to show their belongings as the show progresses rather than having 6 scenes of everyone packing ****?

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »
I agree that showing them packing would lend almost nothing to the story, but don't give up hope too soon if that's the kind of plot you like: This weeks episode was supposed to run before last weeks but they switched them at the last minute. Maybe we'll get a packing scene this week.

I did wonder about Jack wearing a suit, after what Kate said about hiking boots being a smarter choice for the island. I can only imagine he was thinking more along the lines of recreating the circumstances of the flight rather than what he was going to need on-island when he got dressed that morning.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
I agree that showing them packing would lend almost nothing to the story, but don't give up hope too soon if that's the kind of plot you like: This weeks episode was supposed to run before last weeks but they switched them at the last minute. Maybe we'll get a packing scene this week.

I did wonder about Jack wearing a suit, after what Kate said about hiking boots being a smarter choice for the island. I can only imagine he was thinking more along the lines of recreating the circumstances of the flight rather than what he was going to need on-island when he got dressed that morning.

I loved how Hurley brought the eye mask. He at least thought about what would be helpful to bring.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
I hope one of them brought matches....

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
I'm thinking that whatever it is they packed isn't with them now.  Hurley still has the guitar case because he was holding it when they "flashed" onto the island.  The overhead compartments are gonna help them now.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
This goes back to the question of whether they actually crashed or flashed to the island. 

Crashed - find the luggage and 1st class compartment overhead areas to find the things they packed to take

Flashed - only what they were holding came with them.  May have packed things w/o ever getting to see them again.

Of course, Frank could have done a Hudson River splashdown landing, keeping everything intact, but submerged.  If you can get to it you can have it.

So the key question is..... crash, flash or splash...

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 03:34:15 PM »
We know Ben and Richard know how to get ON or OFF the island.  So once they find it, it probably won't be a problem to go back get some stuff...

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
This goes back to the question of whether they actually crashed or flashed to the island. 

Crashed - find the luggage and 1st class compartment overhead areas to find the things they packed to take

Flashed - only what they were holding came with them.  May have packed things w/o ever getting to see them again.

Of course, Frank could have done a Hudson River splashdown landing, keeping everything intact, but submerged.  If you can get to it you can have it.

So the key question is..... crash, flash or splash...

Both crash and flash.
The 06 flashed back to Dharma times before the plane crashed.
The "flash" caused by the time shift caused the plane to go down in current time, 2008, which left a bunch of new losties 316.
And the loop continues...until something corrects it to stop it!