Author Topic: Did the plane "crash" or time travel and "gently" pop onto the island, or...  (Read 5399 times)

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
I get the feeling that the plane didn't crash (well, if it did crash, then it didn't crash on the island) and that the 06ers, at least Jack, Kate and Hurley, were "flashed" to the island. I am assuming that the others "flashed" also, maybe to another part of the island, maybe to another time on the island.

I just get the feeling that if the plane does crash, it is in "real time" somewhere off the island...what do you think?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
I think it was both.

The plane crashed (or at least had a rough landing), but anybody whom had previously been on The Island time travelled.

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
I suspect Lapidus did his best to land it, and not crash it, after Jack talked with him. But I like the idea that only the previous islanders actually flashed back in time - I hope Ben is stuck in the present time. Or still in the plane, up in the air and headed for Guam.
DOH!  :P

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
I like Doc Jensen's theory that it landed on the airstrip that Sawyer and Kate were helping to build when they were breaking rocks in the hot sun on Alcatraz. We never did see what that was meant to be, and we haven't seen it since they escaped from Alcatraz.

Offline hackgrid

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
I like Doc Jensen's theory that it landed on the airstrip that Sawyer and Kate were helping to build when they were breaking rocks in the hot sun on Alcatraz. We never did see what that was meant to be, and we haven't seen it since they escaped from Alcatraz.

Interesting...Ben preparing for his come back?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile

Wow! That'd be amazing.

The reason why I'm leaning towards a "rough landing" for most of the passengers (excluding the Losties) rather than an actual crash, is purely because Lapidus was at the controls and:

a) He was prepared for arrival at The Island
b) He's flown over The Island previously (albeit by helicopter), so would know some of its terrain.

Then again, Lapidus may have just vanished from the cockpit, displaced in time, leaving the plane to its fate; seeing as he was also formerly on The Island.

Offline Lost In NH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
The plane crashed (or at least had a rough landing), but anybody whom had previously been on The Island time travelled.
[/quote]

So if this flight is to "recreate" the conditions of the original flight 815 and the 316ers crashed and landed in 2008 time and the losties time traveled back to the past. 

Is it possible that the flight 815 was a recreation of some earlier one? 

Maybe there were "pre-losties" that were time warped when it crashed and the 815's just considered them missing when they crashed.

Ouch, ouch...ice cream headache........ouch

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
It seems to me like they just "flashed" off the plane.  But then that begs the question of what the stewardesses and all the other folks on Ajira 316 are going to think happened to those people who just suddenly disappeared into thin air...  Kind of tough to explain against your flight manifest once you land...  "Ummmm... well, they just... went away..."

Offline Moarphine

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Confirmation
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »
The way I see it the plane crashed and then timeflashed.

The lagoon Hurley was in is full of corpses (remember from earlier season) they must be the pasengers, then the losties got timeflashed...right?

Offline Souldrinker

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
I think the plane crashed in present time (2008) since they found the Ajira waterbottle sometime after they left their beach camp (you know...the time with the wooden boats...)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
At the beginning of the episode I thought that they had flashed back in time and would have to relive the events of the first flight with everyone back alive. Which would make it interesting, but really confusing.

I'm guessing since Kate's head was on a rock, but there was no blood, that they did NOT crash. Plus Hurley said he just woke up in the water with Charlie's guitar case. I don't think it was a crash, but I believe EVERYONE on the plane flashed to the past, including Lapidus and Ben. The plane would continue in normal time and end up crashing in the ocean (or wherever it would be when the autopilot screws up).

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmation
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »
i think they got time flashed while still in the air

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
there was some kind of accident or landing on the island bc the water bottle was shown... if only the losties flashed out of the plane and the plane continued on its merry way to guam... no bottle would be there.

Offline xenicus

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
I don't think the plane crashed ( though I'm at pains to then explain the bottle found from it ).

However it does beg the question... what exactly happened with the original crash?

What if half the people on 815 got teleported down to the island  ( like the O6 this time around ) and the rest ( those who weren't meant to be there in the first place maybe ) just fell to the ground with the plane after it was ripped apart.

The Swan going up at exactly the right time to tear the plane apart is just a happy/unhappy coincidence... that very possibly wasn't meant to ever happen. (I wonder if part of Smokeys remit is to remove people who aren't meant to be on the island ).

Offline Still_lost06

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
I think that the ones who were meant to go back, so maybe not Ben, are the only ones who made it to the island. As if the island's energy filtered the rest of the plane and people on board through, and Jack and the others were kept behind.