Author Topic: Charlotte and Daniel as constants  (Read 783 times)

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Charlotte and Daniel as constants
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:35:09 AM »
I guess I am confused about the constants keeping each other from suffering from the flashback "problems".
Since Charlotte and Dan knew each other on the island years ago and knew each other off the island when they were being chosen to be part of Widmore's team then back on the island again, would this not protect them from the sickness? Would they not be constants like Desmond and Daniel? Could someone please clarify for my addled brain?  Thanks.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte and Daniel as constants
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »
I am of the opinion that the "time traveling sickness" that killed Minkowski and that Desmond experienced was one kind of sickness, and the "time traveling sickness" that killed Charlotte and is causing the nosebleeds in the left-behinders was another. In Desmond's case, only his mind traveled between two separate time frames, and he needed a constant in both times to bind them together. In the case of the ones left behind, their brains' internal clocks are screwed up by the physical jumps through time, and only stopping the jumping will keep them from dying. Both these problems cause nosebleeds. In the end the physical jumping causes some mind jumping as well, and at that point it's too late to help because the jumps are too random and quick to find a proper constant.

Offline conway

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »
Thank you for the explanation.  It makes a lot of sense. Why does Daniel not seem to be suffering like the rest with the time shifts? It appears that he is the only one with out the nosebleeds.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »
If he's right about the people being affected based on the amount of time they have spent on the island, then he has probably spent the least amount of time on the island at the time they are jumping. We know Juliet had been there 3 years, and she was the 3rd person to get nosebleeds. Sawyer had been there about 3 months or so, and he was 4th. Daniel has only been on the island for 2 weeks so he hadn't gotten one (yet).

the order of the nosebleeds also fuels theories about the science team being there before. Charlotte was first so she must have spent quite a few years there as a child. Same with Miles, since he was next. Daniel not getting one "proves" that he has not been there before, despite the fact his mother had been there when she was young. (unless he left before he was 3 months old.)

Assuming Locke stopped the jumping, then they are now out of danger of dying like Charlotte, since their brains internal clock has now found a steady time.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »
again, this is all what I've been guessing, I don't know how many other people feel the same way. :)