Author Topic: Desmond & Mrs. Hawking/Desmond & Ben  (Read 2568 times)

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Desmond & Mrs. Hawking/Desmond & Ben
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »
Ok.  Was it just me or did Mrs. Hawking seem laissez faire when Desmond was giving her the message?

I've never seen anyone seem so uncaring in my life. She looked like she wanted to say "saddatay" when he was ranting.

And...why did it seem as though Desmond knew who Ben was?  He(Desmond) never inquired.  I keep racking my brain trying to remember if we've ever seen Desmond & Ben occupying the same space at the same time.

When Ben was being held captive in the "hatch", Desmond was drunk off his butt floating around the island.  At the end of season three when Ben & Alex meet Jack & Co. at the radio tower, Desmond was with Charlie...am I missing something?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond & Mrs. Hawking/Desmond & Ben
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »
Yeah, I kept thinking Ben didn't really know about Des' existence on the island, especially in season three when Sayid, Sun and Jin were sailing on Des' boat...when one of the Others told Ben about the boat, he was flat-out shocked and said "Where did they get a boat!!". You'd think that if Ben knew about Des he would also know about Des' boat.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
you're right, she was very casual about the whole thing, not worried about her son at all

when she was telling everyone about a man who had come up with a set of equations to predict where the island was going to be, I thought, "I bet that man was Daniel."
its another one of the paradox / loop things
in the past, Daniel figured out how to predict where the island would appear and ... I have no idea what :)
but I think he is the one how came up with the equations
and the reason she's not worried about her son is she can "see" the future just as Des saw Charlie's future deaths and just as she knew Des was supposed to go to the island

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »
Yeah, I kept thinking Ben didn't really know about Des' existence on the island, especially in season three when Sayid, Sun and Jin were sailing on Des' boat...when one of the Others told Ben about the boat, he was flat-out shocked and said "Where did they get a boat!!". You'd think that if Ben knew about Des he would also know about Des' boat.

Ben is the ultimate game player.  I believe he always knew Desmond was there, he just may have thought the boat was inoperable or that they just wouldn't find it.  I mean...that one station (can't remember the name of it) could view all the other stations via the monitors.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »
when she was telling everyone about a man who had come up with a set of equations to predict where the island was going to be, I thought, "I bet that man was Daniel."

My co-worker just said the same thing

and the reason she's not worried about her son is she can "see" the future just as Des saw Charlie's future deaths and just as she knew Des was supposed to go to the island

I'm leaning toward this theory myself.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »

Ben is the ultimate game player.  I believe he always knew Desmond was there, he just may have thought the boat was inoperable or that they just wouldn't find it.  I mean...that one station (can't remember the name of it) could view all the other stations via the monitors.
The Pearl.

But she never confirmed that Daniel is her son. Just saying is all. I personally believe that she is his mother, but you have to take into account, that IF later on she says something like, "Daniel Farraday isn't my son." you have to accept the fact that she never said he was on this episode.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:35:59 PM by BobBX542 »

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 05:36:48 PM »

The Pearl.

But she never confirmed that Daniel is her son. Just saying is all. I personally believe that she is his mother, but you have to take into account, that IF later on she says something like, "Daniel Farraday isn't my son." you have to accept the fact that she never said he was on this episode.

True, but the enhanced version of last week's eppy stated that she is his mother.. :-\

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »

The Pearl.

True, but the enhanced version of last week's eppy stated that she is him mother.. :-\

Really?? Must have missed it. I'm usually driving to my friend's place when the enhanced episodes are on so I can catch the new one. I'll have to check my DVR

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »

But no gain came from his pretending to be shocked...I think it was sincere. With all the other pretences, you see the "why" behind Ben's lying. With this one, though, it was 2 seasons ago and was never addressed again.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 05:42:01 PM »
He was shocked about the boat...not Desmond...

They (the others) knew they were there... Remember "This is OUR island...blah blah blah..opening doors to rooms that don't belong to you...blah blah blah..don't cross this line...blah blah blah"
Ok so the "blahs" equal "I don't remember what was said" but either way, I think they knew Desmond was there.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
He was shocked about the boat...not Desmond...

They (the others) knew they were there... Remember "This is OUR island...blah blah blah..opening doors to rooms that don't belong to you...blah blah blah..don't cross this line...blah blah blah"
Ok so the "blahs" equal "I don't remember what was said" but either way, I think they knew Desmond was there.

I would find it extremely hard to believe Ben knew about Desmond, but not about Desmond's boat. He would at the very least wonder how Des got there.

Offline userh6478

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
I think Ms. Hawkings, was trying to seem like she had no idea who desmond..but clearly they do know each other..same way the o6 acted on the plane, they they never knew each other

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »

agreed.

or even if he didn't know about desmond in the hatch... surely you have to know about a freakin boat...

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
Ben knew about Desmond because the Others watch what's going on in the hatch. Ben was, I think, genuinely surprised when he found out that the Losties had a boat, but he might not have known it was Desmond's boat. Also, when the Freighter Folk arrive and ask who Desmond is, Juliet tells them that he's a man who lived in a Dharma station pushing a button every 108 minutes. The Others knew.

Des and Ben met at the cockpit in the jungle when Jack et al were coming from the radio tower and Sawyer et al were coming from the beach, just before Locke et al left for the barracks...or so Lostpedia says. But by their definition, I can be drinking at the same bar as Matthew Fox and tell people that I "met" him, so, take it as you will.

And as other people have said before, the Losties (at least the O6) must have talked about Ben with Desmond, at least on the Searcher.

I think Hawking was all bored with Des because she knew things would course-correct.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »
Des and Ben met at the cockpit in the jungle when Jack et al were coming from the radio tower and Sawyer et al were coming from the beach, just before Locke et al left for the barracks...or so Lostpedia says. But by their definition, I can be drinking at the same bar as Matthew Fox and tell people that I "met" him, so, take it as you will.

I was actually coming here to make this point and saw you beat me to it. lol. I think Lostpedia says they met because now they have, outside the church. But Desmond knew who Ben was because in the cockpit scene in the woods Ben was hogtied and bloody, and being led by the people at the center of attention. They may not have spoken but Desmond was sure to make note of the guy. Also, when he was hanging out at the helicopter before he and Sayid traveled over to the freighter we can probably assume he saw the photo of Ben that they showed Juliet.