Author Topic: 316: Question of the Week  (Read 9901 times)

Offline Lyricc96

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: 316: Question of the Week
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
That makes sense!!! I like that theory!!!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »
Here's a wild theory-

When Keamey goes into the safe in the freighter to get the 2nd protocol folder containing information on where Ben is going and what he is doing, the captain of the boat asks him "How could Widmore possibly know that?" To which Keamey replies, "Because Charles Widmore is a very smart man."

And, in the lamppost station, Ms. Hawking tells us that a very smart man built the pendulum and designed the series of equations that approximates the location of the island.

Could Charles Widmore have built the pendulum, or, at the least, financed the construction of the pendulum giving him access to its information and approximations? That would more than justify his reasons for being able to locate the island and park his freighter 5 miles off its coastline in the first place. What do you all think?
It's a good idea, but if Widmore built it, I highly doubt he still has access to the data. If he did, it wouldn't have taken so long to find the island and he wouldn't have needed the anomaly.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
I think the Island is always moving, on a predictable path that can be measured/calculated/derived using the technique employed at the Lamp Post station.  It might take quite a long time to calculate its path (Ben moved the donkey wheel about 3 years ago), so if Ms. Hawking has just relocated it, that implies it takes a long time, and implies why moving the Island would give it a temporary respite from Widmore.  And I think that moving the donkey wheel just changes the path in some way, the net result of which is that if anyone thinks they've located the island or can predict its location, they've got to start their calculations over.

That's basically what I said just two posts above you.  Great minds think alike. :)

Offline nofate

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »

Did Locke kill himself, or did Ben "assist" him when he was unable to succeed? ( the whole Michael & Jack not being able to kill themselves)

I just wish you had all believed me.....   (I'm wrong so often I had to brag a little)

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »
Um, Sledge, did you ever pick a question this week? LOL. I'd like to hear your musings on any of these mysteries!