Author Topic: 316: Question of the Week  (Read 10140 times)

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: 316: Question of the Week
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »
Why doers Jack say he didn't know Locke killed himself?  Didn't to obit say Jeremy Betham was found after hanging himself in a NYC apartment?

Hawking says that the obit didn't say it was suicide---that would be a little bit tasteless.  "So-and-so was found dead by hanging....they leave behind a loving family...." 

Not thinking that would be a good idea!  ;)

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 04:56:52 PM »
Why doers Jack say he didn't know Locke killed himself?  Didn't to obit say Jeremy Betham was found after hanging himself in a NYC apartment?

Hawking says that the obit didn't say it was suicide---that would be a little bit tasteless.  "So-and-so was found dead by hanging....they leave behind a loving family...." 

What can be read of the obit Jack finds does not say anything about suicide.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Newspaper_clipping

The clipping appears to read:

Los Angeles
Man found dead in
downtown loft

"The body of Je ~*~ entham of
New York was discovered shortly after 4
a.m. in the ~*~ of Grand
Avenue. Ted [lastname], [a door]man at The
Tower ~*~ heard loud
noises ~*~ entham's loft.
~*~ [sa]fety, he co[nfessed]
~*~ discovered the
~*~ entered the loft a beam
in the ~*~ mom ~*~ [ac]cordin[g]

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »

What can be read of the obit Jack finds does not say anything about suicide.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Newspaper_clipping

The clipping appears to read:

Los Angeles
Man found dead in
downtown loft

"The body of Je ~*~ entham of
New York was discovered shortly after 4
a.m. in the ~*~ of Grand
Avenue. Ted [lastname], [a door]man at The
Tower ~*~ heard loud
noises ~*~ entham's loft.
~*~ [sa]fety, he co[nfessed]
~*~ discovered the
~*~ entered the loft a beam
in the ~*~ mom ~*~ [ac]cordin[g]

That sounds like a news article...not a typical obituary.  Obituaries don't tend to give out details of death.  Just who survived them, date they were born and died, things they liked, how they will be remembered.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »
This may fit more into a discussion or opinion piece, but I'm curious to know what you think, Sledge, about the differences between the time jumping that killed Minkowski and the time jumping that killed Charlotte (if any).

Oh. I interpret it like this...

Time-Skipping. Having The Island physically move you through time.
Time-Tripping. Having your current consciousness in a past or future time.
Time-Travelling. Physical time travel which is independent of The Island's time-skipping.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:54 AM »
This may fit more into a discussion or opinion piece, but I'm curious to know what you think, Sledge, about the differences between the time jumping that killed Minkowski and the time jumping that killed Charlotte (if any).

Oh. I interpret it like this...

Time-Skipping. Having The Island physically move you through time.
Time-Tripping. Having your current consciousness in a past or future time.
Time-Travelling. Physical time travel which is independent of The Island's time-skipping.

Am I  delirious from watching so much LOST and reading the forums....or did that make perfect sense? lol

I like those explanations and how they differ. :)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »
Am I  delirious from watching so much LOST and reading the forums....or did that make perfect sense? lol

lol

What are we gonna do when it ends?

I'm hoping that the ending of the TV series is just the end of Flight 815's story, rather than the end of The Island's story. I hope that everything isn't neatly tied-up and answered; allowing room for novels and comic books with other new characters.

:-\

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
did locke really grow stubble while dead in a coffin?   :D

if it was so important for locke to have christian's shoes to recreate christian's body in the plane then why shouldn't locke have actually had a pair of JACK'S tennis shoes since christian didn't even have his own shoes?

oh i know this one...

the reason everything has happened the way it has is bc christian has been pissed about his white tennis shoes... now that his real shoes are coming, everything will be good again :D

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »

if it was so important for locke to have christian's shoes to recreate christian's body in the plane then why shouldn't locke have actually had a pair of JACK'S tennis shoes since christian didn't even have his own shoes?

oh i know this one...

the reason everything has happened the way it has is bc christian has been pissed about his white tennis shoes... now that his real shoes are coming, everything will be good again :D
White shoes after Labor Day... how embarassing...

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 04:53:18 PM »
did locke really grow stubble while dead in a coffin?   :D

oh i know this one...

White is the new creepy.  ;)

Offline nofate

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »
Did Locke really write the note, or did Ben?

Did Locke kill himself, or did Ben "assist" him when he was unable to succeed? ( the whole Michael & Jack not being able to kill themselves)

Is it possible that Kate left Aaron to be raised with Ji Youn?  Two children of the island who will grow up together and fall in love someday??

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 12:39:50 AM »

oh i know this one...

i like it! 

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 12:44:15 AM »
I've got one for ya Sledge... Ihope it's not spoilerish...

If Jin now works for Dharma, we can assume that the time period is sometime in the 70's. Jin has a Dharma job which means it's very possible all of the other losties that were left behind have Dharma jobs as well. does this mean that they will all die in the purge? Just a thought I had last night after the episode...

Good point because if
Locke stops the skopping.. is THAT what they are trying to stop? then whynot just kill ben?

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »

oh i know this one...

yeah, he wouldn't be caught dead in them

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »
i second this.

The difference between these two types of time jumps were that in Minkowski (and Desmond's) case, their mind and consciousness were only jumping through time; their bodies would stay in each time zone and they would appear to just "zone out" for however long their time jump lasted, and then return. In Charlotte's (and the rest of the Losties on the island after Ben moved the wheel in the Orchid station) case, not just their mind and consciousness was time jumping, but their entire bodies were going through time. This gave the appearance of them disappearing (as we were told by Danielle Russeau when she accused Jin of being sick because he "disappeared").

In Minkowski's circumstance, a "constant" is needed to connect your mind with the past and the present (A constant defined by Daniel Faraday as: "something that you really care about, or something that is familiar to you in both times). In this type of time jump, the brain starts to hemorrhage in the same amount of time for every person; there is no variable. Without a "constant," the brain hemorrhage will inevitably cause death.

In Charlotte's circumstance, a "constant" cannot be acquired because your mind isn't being split through time; your mind is staying with your body, which in essence, causes what Daniel Faraday calls "really bad jet lag." The brain starts to hemorrhage quicker depending upon how long you have been on the island in the past; there is a variable, which is duration of exposure to the island. The longer you have been on the island within your lifetime, the sooner your brain starts to hemorrhage. We have not been told, yet, if there is any way to stop the hemorrhaging from happening during this type of time jump. If the "flashes" through time continue to happen, you will inevitably die.

Offline Lady Penelope

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 09:16:08 AM »
A question I have.... Why do they need to re-create the scene as much as possible? Dont they just have to be there in the plane? Why bother with dead mans shoes and guitar cases??
What exactly does this have to do with them getting back to the island. If they re just on the plane and the plane is set to fly through one of these windows surely that would be enough.
What are they trying to trick by substituting people for objects?
Explanations??