Author Topic: Why would there be another flash?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline jacobsdaughter

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Why would there be another flash?
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »
If the last flash was when Locke was going down the well and it took them back to the old Dharma (pre-Orchid) days, then why would there be another flash to get them off the plane? What would cause it?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why would there be another flash?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:18:56 PM »
Old Dharma does not mean it is pre-orchid days.

I believe this flash was different, just them going through the window of opportunity.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:29:31 PM »
Locke falling into the well flash was pre-dharma, Sawyer held the rope for some one later to find and dig a well. Dharma came after well and built the orchid. The last flash we saw was Locke turning the wheel, the island moved in time back to the Dharma days. Probably around the time of Orchid construction.

Airplane flash was probably like Jugdish said just going through the window of opportunity.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »
I figured the flash was them flashing from current time to island time.  They're basically flashing back to whenever Sawyer and them were left at after Locke fixed the wheel.

Offline Still_lost06

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »
I have to say that I don't think it was one of the flashes we used to see, but rather what happened as they flew through the island's energy radius. Thus, the ones who left the island were left on the island as the rest of the plane continued through. that cop next to sayid is gonna be pretty confused when she blinks and sees that he's gone. Oh and the pilot too!

Offline rdudeck

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »
I seem to think that everyone on the plane may have made it to the island too!  When asked what would happen to the rest of the folks on the plane, Ben relplied "Who cares?"  I think the one little dude with the moustache that spoke to Jack in the airport before boarding has an important role in the rest of this season.  They focused a little too much on him for him to be another "redshirt" type guy.

Also, remember a few episodes back, when our Losties found a deserted camp with Ajira water bottles- some others survived that flight too-- Any thoughts?

Offline Alex2000

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »
Well, it is strange only if you think of the "flashes" as literally some kind of flash.

Doc Jensen made a  good point a few days ago(when previewing 316) that the flashes actually "sound" more like time being stretched from one point to another.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1550612_20245769_20259645,00.htm

So when they flew over the island, time was snapped back into place.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:58:33 PM »
If the last flash was when Locke was going down the well and it took them back to the old Dharma (pre-Orchid) days, then why would there be another flash to get them off the plane? What would cause it?

Maybe the final Flash when Locke moves the wheel is the same flash the Flight 316'ers experienced that landed them on the Island - though it sort of cheats the rules of the flashes so far - in that all the flashes so far have left our vaunted castaways physically in the same place, only in different times. 

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
What happen to the plane?  How did they just "land" on the ground or in the water and not hurt themselves?
Did the plane pull apart like 815 did? Just too weird and it will take a bit of explanation. 

The Island moves in time, all the time, so another flash isnt that strange, is it?  It was just jumping in like it usually does and this was the time they could get back to it. 

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »

Maybe the final Flash when Locke moves the wheel is the same flash the Flight 316'ers experienced that landed them on the Island - though it sort of cheats the rules of the flashes so far - in that all the flashes so far have left our vaunted castaways physically in the same place, only in different times. 

I thought about that as well....but the timing wouldn't be right.   If Jin had just changed times along with the people on the plane, where would he have gotten the gun, dharma uniform and vehicle from?    Also, keep in mind that when the plane crashed in the first place they weren't rescued because the Island was moving (As per Mrs. Hawkings in last nights episode).

I'm thinking that the island is always moving, but the jiggly wheel was causing the lostties to shift through time separate from the island.   Maybe now that it's fixed, the island still moves, but no more people shifting with nosebleeds.   It could be that the Island and the Losties are both together back in Dharma days, and now both shift locations together, but don't move forward or backward in time anymore.   The Island pulled the people from the plane into the time it is currently in.    Maybe they will now have to get everything back to the current time, or just start new lives in the past with Dharma.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
What happen to the plane?  How did they just "land" on the ground or in the water and not hurt themselves?
Did the plane pull apart like 815 did? Just too weird and it will take a bit of explanation. 

Not sure I'm buying the theory, but one that has been going around is that the plane ended up landing on the runway that Kate and Sawyer were forced to help build back at the start of S3, only in the present time instead of the past.  Andt hat its these guys on the outrigger who are using the old flight 815 camp and shooting at our time traveling heroes Locke, Juliete, Swayer, Miles, Daniel and Charlotte a few weeks ago.

Personally, I think there never was a runway, the whole Kate/Sawyer captivity experience was set up to get them really stressed etc. 

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »

I was wondering the same thing though.  What if the flash that took Locke back by turning the wheel is the same flash that takes them back to the island?
But it does create some fluidity problems, as you mentioned...

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »

It deffinitely is, but I think the more imprtant idea is that it is the two time lines converging. Keep in mind that Locke just turned the wheel, but is also in the coffin on the plane. So when he turns the wheel and is jumped off the island, he instantly comes right back, because his dead body is the future of the Locke that turned the wheel. I think this will play into why Locke apparently has no memory as we saw in the previews for next week. Copy and paste, or quote if you want to read that.

I think that this weeks episode will flow better after next week's, not just because it is going to explain What happened to Locke, but because Abrahms said that they originally had "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" scheduled to air the week before "316", but they thought it would be cooler to show "316" first, then "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham".

Offline Alex2000

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:57:36 PM »

I gathered that nothing happened to the plane at all. I just assumed that the 6 just disappeared from the plane.

What I wonder is if Ben and Frank ended up on the island or not.

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »
Locke falling into the well flash was pre-dharma, Sawyer held the rope for some one later to find and dig a well.

The well was there before Dharma and then filled in.  Sawyer still had the rope because it was a physical object in their possession, so it traveled with them.

I think the 6 are now traveling in the same time flips as Juliet, Sawyer, Jin, physicist, psychic, and angry chic. 

I also feel a wee bit suspicious that the plane crashed in another time.  When the 6 hit the island, they traveled through time, then the plane crashed in modern day, leaving all others on board to crash sans the 6.  But, they wouldn't notice, and they probably have a whole 6 seasons worth of stories about their time on the island!