Author Topic: Ben can't return to the island?  (Read 7622 times)

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Ben can't return to the island?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »
Locke turned that wheel too?  They want him back on the island.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »
I know that he said this, but we all know what a liar he is.
So the question is, can he go back, or not?

Well, he did say to Widmore that Widmore had "changed the rules". Many assumed that this was purely in relation to Widmore's militia killing Alex, but maybe it was something else - and the former rules (such as not being able to return, after turning the wheel) don't apply anymore.

He's gone and left many times before, the difference is that this time he turned the wheel to get off the island instead of whatever means he's used in the past.

I'm pretty certain that would have been the DHARMA-constructed pod inside the Orchid Station (which Ben destroyed). It practically screamed "teleportation pod". I also think that this was the "magic box" which brought Anthony Cooper and Tom back to The Island.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »
He's gone and left many times before, the difference is that this time he turned the wheel to get off the island instead of whatever means he's used in the past.

I'm pretty certain that would have been the DHARMA-constructed pod inside the Orchid Station (which Ben destroyed). It practically screamed "teleportation pod". I also think that this was the "magic box" which brought Anthony Cooper and Tom back to The Island.

Seemed to me from what we saw in the video that it was more of a device to harness the energy in the FDW chamber so that they could manipulate time. But, you never know what can happen with exotic matter.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »
Locke's turn was to reset the wheel.  Not the same as Ben.  We have been lead to believe from Richard that Locke can return.  But he must die in order for everyone to come back.

- Could Ben have come back (under the rules he previously told Locke still applied) if he died, but he wasn't willing to even consider that an an option
- In resetting the wheel, did that alone stop the time jumps, but leave the I6 stranded in Dharma Days?  Or are they still jumping and something else must be done to get everything to its true time period?
- Are all the 316ers in the same time period?  Or did the O6 join the I6 in whatever time period they are in?  Where does leave Ben?  Where does that leave any other 316ers that survived?

Guess we've got more reason to continue watching.....

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »
Locke's turn was to reset the wheel.  Not the same as Ben.  We have been lead to believe from Richard that Locke can return.  But he must die in order for everyone to come back.

- Could Ben have come back (under the rules he previously told Locke still applied) if he died, but he wasn't willing to even consider that an an option
- In resetting the wheel, did that alone stop the time jumps, but leave the I6 stranded in Dharma Days?  Or are they still jumping and something else must be done to get everything to its true time period?
- Are all the 316ers in the same time period?  Or did the O6 join the I6 in whatever time period they are in?  Where does leave Ben?  Where does that leave any other 316ers that survived?

I believe that you and other posters may be onto something with your last point.  I believe it's possible that they don't come back in the same time period.  The returning06 go to Dharma days and the "new" 316'ers are stuck on the island for the first time.  Which brings me to an interesting point:  Has this happened before?  Were the 816'ers part of a returning crew too???  (someone else has already posted this possibility so the credit is not mine)

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »

I believe that you and other posters may be onto something with your last point.  I believe it's possible that they don't come back in the same time period.  The returning06 go to Dharma days and the "new" 316'ers are stuck on the island for the first time.  Which brings me to an interesting point:  Has this happened before?  Were the 816'ers part of a returning crew too???  (someone else has already posted this possibility so the credit is not mine)

Hmmmm.  I had not seen this posted before.  Interesting.  So, what if some of the 815s are on the island in other time periods?  Could some of them be Others or Dharma folks?  Or even somewhere off in the future?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 05:34:19 PM »
It's very possible that instead of it being the same exact time loop, it's more of a general time loop. Like all of the events have to be similar to have it happen again. Which makes me think that I was right so long ago when I said everything we have seen from the opening of the first episode is all a flashback.

Offline Lyricc96

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 07:18:01 PM »
That could be very true and we are starting to see bits and pieces that could prove that theory, for example, Jin in the Darma uniform.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
My guess is that Ben believes he can't return, but he is trying to anyways. I think he will succeed.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »
I really think he lied about that too....

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
I think he lied about being on the plane.

It was just a holographic projection of Ben.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2009, 01:53:33 AM »
It was really smoky on the plane lol

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
It's very possible that instead of it being the same exact time loop, it's more of a general time loop. Like all of the events have to be similar to have it happen again. Which makes me think that I was right so long ago when I said everything we have seen from the opening of the first episode is all a flashback.

I might very well have to agree with most of this, especially when put into context of what is happening to Desmond in Season 3 "Flashes Before Your Eyes"

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
Mrs Hawking seems to know a lot about all this. Did she know that Ben was going back? if so , maybe he had to go back since he was the one helping the island and it wasn't a normal departure. 

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
Ben lies.  Ben lies.  Ben lies.  How long till some of you buy this?  He always could go back, but ...... he lies!!

Or..... the rules changed.  But what changed them:
1) killing Penny in revenge for his daughter
2) killing Mrs Hawkins
3) killing Locke and returning with all the other o6ers
4) killing Des
5) killing Aaron and/or Charlie

Or something else.