Author Topic: Ben can't return to the island?  (Read 8504 times)

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Ben can't return to the island?
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
I know that he said this, but we all know what a liar he is.
So the question is, can he go back, or not?

If he can't go back, why did he get on the plane?

He's gone and left many times before, the difference is that this time he turned the wheel to get off the island instead of whatever means he's used in the past.  He said whomever turns the wheel can't come back, right?  But was that just a lie to get Locke to believe that he has to die in order to get his friends back?

Then again, Richard told Locke he would have to die.

What do you all think?

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Ben can't return to the island?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:15:34 PM »
That is what I was kind of wondering. . . .  He seemed genuinely upset while turning the wheel by the thought of not ever being able to come back to the island.  Could it have been that he could come back to the island and that there was something else that was upsetting him??   I'm not really keen on the whole thought of "Charlotte is Ben's daughter" theory, but could it be he was upset about being the one that leaves the island because he knew turning the wheel would cause the island to start shifting times??  He could have been upset knowing that what he was about to do would be the ultimate demise for his daughter in the end . . . . I don't know that I fully believe this theory either, but it's a thought . .

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »
I really believe it's against the "rules" - whatever kind of rules they are - for him to get back to the island, and he's going to mess everything up now that he did.
Ben's too selfish, I'm wondering what kind of end he will have...

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:57:02 PM »
I think it was just what he believed based on the information he had at that time.  It would've been John who told him that the O6 had to return.  Ben just added himself to the equation so he could return as well.  Prior to this revelation, Ben believed he wouldn't be able to return.

Offline LOSTRULES

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
I was wondering about this too.
I really believe it's against the "rules" - whatever kind of rules they are - for him to get back to the island, and he's going to mess everything up now that he did.
Ben's too selfish, I'm wondering what kind of end he will have...
I agree with this. I think Ben is selfish and just wants to get back to the island anyway he can and now this is going to screw things up.
He did say that whoever moves the island can't come back and we know Ben is liar but I really do think he looked genuinely upset when he was turning the wheel. He also said to Jacob "I hope your happy"

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:44 PM »
I think in general you can't go back since you wouldn't be able to find the island again, but Ben found a way.  And I agree, I think his tears were genuine and he figured he'd probably never be able to return to the island, but he's clever and hatched a plan.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
remember where we got the information that "whoever moves the island can never return".  From Ben, and we all know that Ben is a liar and apparently he wasn't supposed to turn the wheel anyways, Locke was. So I think even then Ben knew what was up and his plan was already in motion. I think the reason why he was crying was because he had definitely fallen out of favor with Jacob.

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »
This is great storytelling and acting. We don't know which things to believe from Ben and which to discard. Maybe there's nothing preventing him from going back other than finding the island, maybe he can't because its against the rules, maybe even he doesn't know the answer to that question. Reminds me of The Princess Bride: "We'll never survive." "Non-sense, you only say that because no one ever has."

We can't know right now, "even a broken clock is right twice a day..."

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
I'm thinking that Ben was probably not allowed to return, but because he did so much to get the O6 back there, that maybe he will be forgiven, and allowed to return.

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
just because he was on the plane, doesn't mean he returned to the island.  we've only seen jack, kate, and hurley right?    what happened to the plane and everybody else on it?   ben could be with them

Offline Lyricc96

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »
Well Ben moved the Island and it looks like he might return. Did Locke move the island to or just stop it from skipping??? If he moved it, he should'nt be allowed to go back either, but it looks as though he will return to the island too!

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »
my impression was that locke was fixing the wheel, putting it back on it's axis to keep the island from time-hopping.
maybe ben is changing the rules as he claimed to widmore that he(widmore) changed the rules?

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
I was under the impression that he moved it again.  We know turning the wheel moves the island and ejects the person turning it.  Christian told John to say hi to his son.  So, this means John was ejected.  If John was ejected, then the island must have moved.

Offline Lyricc96

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
I just figured Locke had to have moved it somehow, thats how he gets off the island to visit Ben and the O6.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
my impression was that locke was fixing the wheel, putting it back on it's axis to keep the island from time-hopping.
maybe ben is changing the rules as he claimed to widmore that he(widmore) changed the rules?

Or maybe because the rules were changed he is trying to get back.

just because he was on the plane, doesn't mean he returned to the island.  we've only seen jack, kate, and hurley right?    what happened to the plane and everybody else on it?   ben could be with them

Did you watch the scenes from next week's episode??