Author Topic: Who built the pendulum?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Who built the pendulum?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 09:41:49 AM »
When I want to know about time travel conundrums, I don't look to ST:Voyager...I look to the old 80's show

VOYAGERS!

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
I was wondering about this myself. I think it could be Daniel as well!

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 02:56:47 PM »
Given what we know about Lost, I think it has to be Daniel.  Of the people who have been introduced to us, he'd be the most capable of designing such an instrument.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »
and the more i think about it the more it makes sense - daniel is able to "infiltrate" Mummy Hawking's dreams and pass on instructions to her like... oh I don't know - go get a job in that jewellers over there and have a chat with this scottish fella about saving the world..... or go volunteer in this church in LA and keep an eye on my secret electromagnetic "enclosure" behind the altar boys' dressing room....

She knows whats going on coz Danny Boy has told her (or even widmore - now they'd make a cute couple), he's been skipping time for decades (but we haven't seen that yet) mebbe in the near future he discovers he CAN change the future by changing the past so goes back and creates the whole pendulum thing to enable him and his planet-saving buddies to island hop at will.

But there's more of a connection between daniel and widmore, the fact widmore funded whatsherface's welfare after dan did his experiments on her makes me wonder if Dan is in Widmore's pocket too. Or maybe he will be in the past.... or was in the future

nurse! - my ears are beeding again!

Offline hatch4815162342

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »
either daniel time traveled(charlotte mentions an old man that she thought was him) or it was the Dharma people

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
either daniel time traveled(charlotte mentions an old man that she thought was him) or it was the Dharma people

we already know Jin is with Dharma, so it very likely that Daniel is with him

and I don't think Charlotte meant an "old" man, she just meant an adult, someone who is old compared to a child 

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »
A really tall guy, did you see how tall that cable went?

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:30 AM »

we already know Jin is with Dharma, so it very likely that Daniel is with him

and I don't think Charlotte meant an "old" man, she just meant an adult, someone who is old compared to a child 
Right.  Daniel (and the rest of them) are likely already in the time period that would have Daniel telling young Charlotte to not return... no need for further time travel.  Not saying it doesn't happen again but it's not needed for Daniel to warn Charlotte.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:58 AM »
Yes I think Janeway was right ^_^  There is a lot of similarities to Star Trek in Lost. I am sure the writers borrowed some concepts from it.  I think Daniel would be a good guess for the pendulum.  It's interesting because i believe the pockets of electromagnetic energy has some truth to it.  I read in a book several years ago called Unsolved Mysteries or Mysteries of the World (can't remember) about a system of arteries running through the earth that would have strong points at certain locations.  One of those places is where Stonehenge is located. Can't remember if they were waterways or electromagnetic energy but would be interesting if someone could find some information about it.
Yes it seems Daniel has been changing things in all time periods and it might be a temporal loop that can't be fixed.  Speaking of Voyager, where are the Temporal Police when you need them?  Where is Capt. Braxton when you need him?

Best Yoyager Episode with temporal issues:  Year of Hell (Pts 1 and 2) - Kurtwood smith (father from That 70's Show) plays  a Krenim scientist named Annorax who has developed a technology that can cause "temporal incursions" which can be used to erase events from history. Each temporal incursion must be meticulously calculated so the removal of one event from the timeline has no negative effects on other events. This is rarely possible of course. Using this ship, Annorax attempted to restore the Krenim empire to the apex of its power by destroying its archenemies, but by doing so he prevented the development of an antibody in his people, and they became vulnerable to a plague. 50 million of his people died, including his beloved wife, because of his actions. Now he is bent on undoing his mistakes. The more temporal incursions he creates in the attempt only causes more disruptions in the timeline. Civilizations are being erased from existence. In one timeline, Annorax is able to restore a half of the Krenim's empire, only to have the next temporal incursion revert the Krenim territory to less than even half of what it had been, caused by Voyager's temporal shielding. Annorax makes the decision to catalogue and destroy the ship which made his earlier attempt fail.

Good stuff for geeks of all ages.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
Jacob hates technology ^^

I think it's Daniel or Dr. Asian

I don't see that pendulum as modern technologie.
My second choice after Jacob, Campbell the monk.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
Ok, even though most people are say Daniel, patrixmith said here that he thought it was Widmore. I think he's onto something. We know Widmore was once in cahoots with Richard, probably being one of the original people to find the island. When he left the island, I'm betting he traveled to LA, built the pendulum and equations, and was somehow excommunicated from the DI. When this happened, he also lost his notebooks, numbers, data, etc., and had some major trouble recalculating the exact location of the island. The anomaly at the end of Season 2 gave Widmore the final constant needed to fill in his equations, making the island easy to find. Now, when Ben turned the wheel, it through the island off its original track and moved it to a different place/time. Because Ms. Hawkings had the pendulum, she could find the location of the island a lot easier than Widmore (although it may have taken her the entire three years to figure it out).

I highly doubt it is Daniel. I really can't see the possibility of Jacob, partly because of what hackgrid said. I have a feeling Jacob hates the wheel. I don't think it's Dr. Chang because his job is on the island, although I wouldn't throw the idea out.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
Keamy's comments on the freighter that Widmore was a very smart man could've just been one of those smart remarks.  It's a common response for why someone knew something.  I think Widmore knew where Ben was going to be because actions played out in the past showed what Ben was going to do... a "been there, done that" sort of thing.  Just like Ben knew which way Smokey was going to attack Widmore's boys on the island.  He knew exactly which direction they should run and when.  It's because he's done it before.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »
Hanso?

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »
The pendulum was built by as-yet-unknown parties.  Pehaps even Foucalt himself.

Mrs. Hawking was haunting Desmonds past to ensure that he makes the "correct" decisions and ends up pushing the button.  Now that this story has come around full and we've seen:

- A flashback showing an influential moment which led to a character's destiny on The Island
- A key figure who created that influence
- That key figure is shown to be in the service of The Island

The conclusion is now almost solid: Seemingly coincidental events are actually deliberate interventions on the part of ______ which conspire to get specific people to The Island.

This has been one of my oldest theories.