Author Topic: Ben Reading  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Ben Reading
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »
I think we're meant to look at Ulysses by James Joyce for connections but I'm too lazy to look it up.  I think I read portions of it in college but I don't remember much from it.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 02:34:14 AM »
Like Locke is the Christ figure, Desmond is the Odysseus figure...I mean, seriously. His wife's name is Penelope, and he travels around the world to get back to her.

I'm no expert on Joyce's Ulysses, you can definitely find info online. All I know is that the Ulysses reader that I got is the same size as the actual book of Ulysses, so...it's taking a while to read and understand.  :)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
i rolled laughing at the comment about his mom teaching him to read.  definintely the best line of the night.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »
I think Ulysses by James Joyce is not directly related to Homer's Oddyssey, though its name is obviously a reference to Homer's work...

Some interesting tidbits about the Odyssey...

Desmond (er, Odysseus/Ulysses) has to return back to his love across the sea... her name is Penny (er, uh, Penelope) and as she waits for his return, she is being courted by 108 suitors who want her to give up on Odysseus's return and marry one of them....

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »
Doc Jensen's new article on ew.com has quite a lot to say about Ulysees and its connection to Lost:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1550612_20245769_20259937,00.html

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »
My association with Ulisse is the trojan horse.
The Trojans let it in, but inside where the enemies.
Ben knows the island will let the plane in, and with the plane
also Ben.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »
My association with Ulisse is the trojan horse.
The Trojans let it in, but inside where the enemies.
Ben knows the island will let the plane in, and with the plane
also Ben.

Actually, along that lines, maybe the plane is the Trojan horse, and the Greeks in this version of the story are the cop who took Sayid on the plane, and the interesting looking guy who gave Jack his condolences.  Certainly there is the theory that these two are working for Widmore.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »
The always spot on, and 100% correct (as long as you're looking for info on pop-culture) wiki alaways provides...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)

Long entry, read at your own risk. LOL

Offline jacobsdaughter

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 06:07:10 PM »
The last chapter is Penelope...I hope it wasn't her last chapter last night

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »
I think I remember something from Lindeloff and Cuse about Ulysses by James Joyce showing up in an episode.

Yeah, Ulysses and page 316, they read from it. Trying to tease us because a passage had the word "hurley" in it. Silly TPTB!

Offline nofate

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 06:40:05 PM »
Ben made the smartass comment about his mom teaching him how to read but the sarcasm is in the fact that his mom died giving birth to him so she couldn't have taught him how to read.
I think this goes back to the idea that Ben lies about EVERYTHING, Even Ms. H. when asked if Ben was lying, said "probably"  It reminds me of that old riddle, where there are two paths, one leads to death, and two guards, one who always lies, the other who always tells the truth... you've all heard it.  I don't think Ben is the good guy or the bad guy, I think his lies are a means to an end, he wants Alex back, he wants a better childhood.  Locke said he wouldn't change his suffering because it all led to this moment.  Ben is the exact opposite, he wants to change his past because it led to where he is now.

Offline you_all_everybody

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
I just want to throw this out there.. Ben disapeared from the camera's view when he got up from sitting next to Jack, then the plane started to go "down" or whatever it did.. so.. did ben go in the cockpit and continue to fly the plane while the rest of the survivors vanished back onto the island?

I think Ben lies about EVERYTHING so Ben lieing about his mom teaching him to read is just another one of his daily routines

::)

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
Ben made the smartass comment about his mom teaching him how to read but the sarcasm is in the fact that his mom died giving birth to him so she couldn't have taught him how to read.

I thought that one was really obvious *not trying to take away any warm fuzzies for other people thinking it was a good catch.. :) *....It made both my husband and myself laugh out loud when he said that.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »
I didn't see what it said on the book but Odysseus and Ulysses are the same thing right?  So you are both right.  Isn't Ulysses Latin for Odysseus?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
I didn't see what it said on the book but Odysseus and Ulysses are the same thing right?  So you are both right.  Isn't Ulysses Latin for Odysseus?
yes, same story.  different writers.  odysseus=ulysses.  odysseus is originally from homers illiad.  ulysses (the novel ben was reading) is by james joyce, it is a modern take on odysseus.