Author Topic: Who kicked the crap out of Ben?  (Read 18499 times)

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Who kicked the crap out of Ben?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:27 AM »
To me it seems perfectly clear that Ben left the church, followed Desmond back to the marina, and had in mind to kill Penny.  The big question is, did he succeed, and who beat him to a pulp.  I hadn't thought about Widmore's thugs either, but that sounds like a possibility.  But what got me thinking was, when Ben called Jack, he had already had his butt kicked, but he still needed Jack to get get Locke.  It was like he had been beaten up, but he still had stuff to do.  Any thoughts what he was up to then?

Well, he had to get to a hospital and get his arm set in a cast, for starters.  He was looking pretty bad at that point.  Maybe he wasn't sure he was even going to make it?  Maybe he succeeded in his quest, and needed to dispose of evidence/bodies?

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:56 AM »
To me it seems perfectly clear that Ben left the church, followed Desmond back to the marina, and had in mind to kill Penny.  The big question is, did he succeed, and who beat him to a pulp.  I hadn't thought about Widmore's thugs either, but that sounds like a possibility.  But what got me thinking was, when Ben called Jack, he had already had his butt kicked, but he still needed Jack to get get Locke.  It was like he had been beaten up, but he still had stuff to do.  Any thoughts what he was up to then?

Well, he had to get to a hospital and get his arm set in a cast, for starters.  He was looking pretty bad at that point.  Maybe he wasn't sure he was even going to make it?  Maybe he succeeded in his quest, and needed to dispose of evidence/bodies?
I agree... the medical attention was the thing he still had to do.  I don't know if Ben killed Penny but he was at the marina for some time.  I don't know what time he left the church but it was morning when he called Jack so his attempt to keep a promise to an old friend took a good chunk of the night.

For those of us who'd LOVE for Des to return to the island, Ben's accomplishing his task is the best way for that to happen.  Des promised Penny he'd never return to the island.  Penny's demise would let Des out of the promise as well as provide for the incentive that Des would need.  And, Des' relationship with Mrs. Hawking would provide him with a possibility of finding the island later on his own.  After all, he made it to the island on his own the first time so that would be much easier to replicate.

Offline soulska

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 09:27:10 AM »

first off... Hello to everyone i have been a lurker of this site for quite some time.

Bens arm was just in a sling if im not mistaken. one can easily buy a sling at any pharmacy. i think a man that has resources like ben could easily get medical attention discreetly. since we see a shaken ben making the call to jack i hate to say this, but i think he killed penny and desmond or killed penny as promised and beat up desmond. i say this because, for him to make a call at the marina without the urgency to get away from a crime scene shows that he was confident that the job at hand was done.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »
I figured he couldn't get Locke's body because he needed to dispose of Penny's body or something.  I'm guessing they'll show in flashbacks exactly what happened to everyone between the time meeting Ben that night and ending up on the plane.

Offline Gmonkey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
I think and hope he killed her.  Desmond will work for Widmore now and try to get revenge.  Yeah it made me mad that Jack didn't ask what happened to him just like he didn't ask Kate what happened to Aaron.  Jack pissed me off this episode.

I too was disappointed, but I have come to realize that if all us sledgeweb addicts were replaced with the characters on lost, the show would last about 3 episodes before everyone knew every tiny detail and had solved every problem.

Offline Survivor815

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
I was surprised that Jack didn't ask him about it.
Wouldn't surprise me if they just leave it at 'something went wrong' and don't tell anything else...

Exactly what I was thinking! Why the hell didn't anyone (especially Jack now that he's got this new weird repore with Ben) ask what happened to him?! Someone really F'd him up and no one even batted an eye at it! ???

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 10:03:16 AM »
Well, Ben has spent a good part of this show getting the crap beat out of him... maybe they think it's just par for the course.   :D  I bet he was even beat up by the little pre-teen Dharmites when he was a kid...

I thought it looked like his arm was in a cast, but I haven't re-watched, so maybe it was just a sling.  Either way, he needed some medical attention, I think.

Yeah it made me mad that Jack didn't ask what happened to him just like he didn't ask Kate what happened to Aaron.  Jack pissed me off this episode.

Just this episode?  Welcome to the club!  He p's me off every episode!  If he hadn't finally read the note from Locke, I would've reached right through the TV screen and strangled him.

Offline Lyricc96

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
I have to agree, Bens "loose ends" was to kill Penny like he had promised he would do to Widmore. The clue to this that he calls Jack from a Marina. This will be the reason that Desmond returns to the Island, to seek revenge on Ben!

Offline CrashandCari

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »
i really don't think Ben killed Penny.  there's no way in hell Des would have let him live if he had.  i do agree that Ben's business to take care of was to go after Penny and maybe Des beat the crap out of him for that

was completely ridiculous that Jack didn't even ask him what the heck happened.. typical lost lol

as for the poster who asked if that was the same marina where Des and Penny's picture was taken.. they were standing in front of a fake backdrop of Australia in that picture

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »
I think Ben went to kill Penny, but encountered Sayid there,
who tried to kill him. But he didn't succeed, because the island
won't let him die (Widmore also knew that he couldn't kill Ben).
That's why Sayid was surprised to see Ben on the plane.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:58 AM »
I think it was Desmond (or possibly Widmore's men) who kicked the crap outta Ben when he went after Penny - he did have a loose thread to deal with.

or it was him....just because  ;)

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »

first off... Hello to everyone i have been a lurker of this site for quite some time.

Bens arm was just in a sling if im not mistaken. one can easily buy a sling at any pharmacy. i think a man that has resources like ben could easily get medical attention discreetly. since we see a shaken ben making the call to jack i hate to say this, but i think he killed penny and desmond or killed penny as promised and beat up desmond. i say this because, for him to make a call at the marina without the urgency to get away from a crime scene shows that he was confident that the job at hand was done.

Thats exactly what I was thinking . .  If someone was still after him, he wouldn't have been able to stop at the marina in broad daylight to make a phone call. 

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
I think and hope he killed her.  Desmond will work for Widmore now and try to get revenge.  Yeah it made me mad that Jack didn't ask what happened to him just like he didn't ask Kate what happened to Aaron.  Jack pissed me off this episode.

I don't believe that Des would ever work for Widmore though in order to get revenge for Penny against Ben.  I think Des will always blame Widmore for all of it.  Keeping him away from Penny for all of those years, and being that it is basically Widmore's fault that Ben was after Penny in the first place.  I really hope Penny isn't dead though . . . That would leave three orphaned kids from 7 People going back to the island . . .
Desmond - Charlie
Kate - Aaron
Sun - Ji Yeon
What's up with that?

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
i really don't think Ben killed Penny.  there's no way in hell Des would have let him live if he had.  i do agree that Ben's business to take care of was to go after Penny and maybe Des beat the crap out of him for that

was completely ridiculous that Jack didn't even ask him what the heck happened.. typical lost lol

as for the poster who asked if that was the same marina where Des and Penny's picture was taken.. they were standing in front of a fake backdrop of Australia in that picture

I agree....it seemed too simple....Ben saying loose ends, then calling from the Marina.   Wouldn't that be a pretty boring reveal.    I think there was something else afoot and the marina was a coincedence.    Ben's been back for 3 years, I would have thought He'd have caught up with Penny before now, plus...Desmond left and Ben was still in the church lighting candles and being all nice...how would he have known where Desmond went?     I'm looking forward to getting a surprize when we see what he did.   I'll be disappointed if it was as simple as head to the marina, kill Penny and get beat up by Desmond.   Too predictable.  I bet he tried to mess with Widmore some other way and barely escaped with his life.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
One thing that I wonder about is the idea of Des being at the marina. I have no idea when the conversation with Widmore happened when he got Ms. Hawking's address, but this message seemed to be urgent. Would he have sailed to LA from London? How long does something like that take? I suppose he could have but I had assumed he flew there. Maybe the marina is a red herring? Maybe it's the same marina they were arguing at the night before and it's significant to Ben for another reason?